Please Help - Onkyo TX-SR602 Issue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Onkyo TX-SR602 Issue

sorebikr
12-29-2004, 11:37 AM
I just picked up this receiver and I love the sound of it. But I'm having a very frustrating problem. I can't get the onscreen menus to appear which is making everything very difficult.

I currently have a very simple setup. My cable is connected to the receiver which is then connected to the TV. All connections are through component video cables.

The cable picture is fine. But I can't make any menus appear on screen.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before? I'm going to try using an s-video or composite cable later tonight but I'm just grasping at straws.

thanks.

woodman
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I just picked up this receiver and I love the sound of it. But I'm having a very frustrating problem. I can't get the onscreen menus to appear which is making everything very difficult.

I currently have a very simple setup. My cable is connected to the receiver which is then connected to the TV. All connections are through component video cables.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before? I'm going to try using an s-video or composite cable later tonight but I'm just grasping at straws.

thanks.

I suspect that when you try the S-video or the composite video interconnect you will get your "on-screen menus". There have been a number of A/V receivers brought to market that only put out those OSDs via the composite and S-video connections ... not on the component-video hookup.

sorebikr
12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
I suspect that when you try the S-video or the composite video interconnect you will get your "on-screen menus". There have been a number of A/V receivers brought to market that only put out those OSDs via the composite and S-video connections ... not on the component-video hookup.

As I said, I'll try this tonight and let the board know the of the results. It gives me a glimmer of hope at least..

Thanks.

sorebikr
12-30-2004, 07:53 AM
As I said, I'll try this tonight and let the board know the of the results. It gives me a glimmer of hope at least..

Thanks.

All set using an s-video cable.

Worf101
12-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Stop answering questions so fast that I could answer with ease and aplomb... I don't know that much to begin with and here you come spoutin' all that superior knowledge before I can even get the kernel of troof out of my mouth... Philistine...

LOL...

Da Worfster :D

woodman
12-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Worf, m'boy:
... to quote that lovable Steve Martin character:

" ... WELL, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!

You'll just have to start gettin' up earlier if you're gonna try and beat an ol' fart like the woodman to the finish line, here - doncha know.

Worf101
12-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Worf, m'boy:
... to quote that lovable Steve Martin character:

" ... WELL, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!

You'll just have to start gettin' up earlier if you're gonna try and beat an ol' fart like the woodman to the finish line, here - doncha know.

Nuts to you... the early boid gets woims...

Da Worfster :D

jarjar1888
01-23-2005, 05:33 PM
I hooked up my Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver and my rear speakers are not producing any sound, even after messing with the receiver setup. If you have any ideas, please post.
Thanks.

Worf101
01-24-2005, 07:16 AM
I hooked up my Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver and my rear speakers are not producing any sound, even after messing with the receiver setup. If you have any ideas, please post.
Thanks.

There could be several reasons you're not getting much sound out of the rears.

1. The soundtrack you're using to test your system MUST have a DD or DTS soundtrack that is sending a discrete signal to your speakers.

2. Make sure you pick the DD 5.1 or DTS soundtrack on the DVD player and that you've set it up to send that signal to your receiver.

3. Make sure the receiver is set properly to the utilize the number of speakers in your system.

4. Calibrate (adjust the volume, distance and delay) the speakers in your system using an SPL meter, a tape measure etc.

Hope this helps....

Da Worfster :cool:

sorebikr
01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks.

I'd start with something basic like maybe you plugged your rear speakers into the Zone 2 outputs instead of the rear for zone 1.

Have you tried other speakers?

Don't worry about the DTS or other surround stuff. Set you output to 5 channel stereo to simplify testing.

Autumnsboy
02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes, apparantly for the American model (it seems the other models are better equiped) that you must be using the standard video or S-video cable to get the OSD. This seems very unfortunate as the best video is only achieved using component video cables. I had the same problem and switching to S-Video solved it. I ended up connecting my DVD player directly to my TV instead of going through the AV receiver. Does anyone have a better suggestion for this?

I'm also having another problem with the sound distribution. When trying to watch a DVD movie with Dolby Digital, most of the sound is being sent to a single surround speaker. I have to turn the total volume so far down that the other speakers are putting out almost no sound. After redoing the automatic speaker set up my problem just moved to the other surround speaker. How do I fix this or what am I doing wrong?

thanks.