Etronics ? & Yamaha vs Pioneer Receiver Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Etronics ? & Yamaha vs Pioneer Receiver Review

cbrown1976
12-29-2004, 11:16 AM
I am in the market for a new receiver for a surround sound setup and need some feedback from anyone that has purchased products from etronics. I am a little weary of purchasing a receiver online b/c I had a sony receiver that went out on me 4 times before I finally had the local store replace with a pioneer that has been great but is getting some age on it now. I am curious if anyone has purchased from etronics and how their returns/support setup is b/c they are about $200 lower in price. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

On another note the two receivers that are in my price range I have decided on are the yamaha HTR-5790, HTR 5760 or pioneer vsx-1014. Any thoughts on these would be great.

Ryanm
12-30-2004, 06:36 AM
I got my 5760 from a company off of ebay that I have some experience with and I would definately suggest checking them out. The company is called Electronic Giant, and they're based out of new york and have very reasonable shipping and pricing as well as very good feedback. I got my 5760 from them for 354 including shipping and handling which was about 145 cheaper than Best Buy. I would highly recommend them.

Stu-r
12-30-2004, 07:16 AM
I am in the market for a new receiver for a surround sound setup and need some feedback from anyone that has purchased products from etronics. I am a little weary of purchasing a receiver online b/c I had a sony receiver that went out on me 4 times before I finally had the local store replace with a pioneer that has been great but is getting some age on it now. I am curious if anyone has purchased from etronics and how their returns/support setup is b/c they are about $200 lower in price. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

On another note the two receivers that are in my price range I have decided on are the yamaha HTR-5790, HTR 5760 or pioneer vsx-1014. Any thoughts on these would be great.

Have bought lots of stuff from Etronics past 3-4 years. All transactions OK. I'm most satisfied with them of all web vendors I've dealt with. All stuff new as advertised. The 1014TX I got a good extended warranty from them for about $29. But it comes with the shorter factory warranty anyway.

Eric Z
12-30-2004, 07:59 AM
I have the 5760 and love it! I was thinking about the 5790, but the 5760 was cheaper and had all of the options I needed- the YPAO feature is great for those who don't want to crawl around on the floor with an SPL meter thing. I've read some reviews stating it's one of the best receivers under $500. I think if you can get it for less than $375, you're getting a pretty good deal!

Good luck and enjoy!
Eric

sjt78
01-07-2005, 06:23 PM
I received my Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver from Etronics about 4 weeks ago. It was shipped out very quickly and I received it within 3 days (I live in Buffalo, NY). I thought the outer packaging could have been better because they did not put many foam peanuts in the box, but the Yamaha box inside was unopened and brand new. The receiver has been working great so far. At this point I would recommend Etronics. Have you compared the v1500 with the 5790? Very similar, but the v1500 has a couple of things extra making it the better buy. This might be a personal thing, but I think the RX series look much nicer than the HTR series. You shouldn't be disappointed with either one. Good luck
-Steve

kexodusc
01-08-2005, 05:47 AM
The 5790 is the equivalent of the 1400, a newer model (5890 by current Yamaha convention) will likely debut in a month or two...
I still maintain the 640/5760 are the best value receivers period. I'd probably buy a 1400 or 5790 before the 1500, there isn't anything substantial on that receiver to justify it's cost difference.
As for looks, I kind of like the gold on black HTR scheme, but the panel hiding controls is nice on the larger RX-V's...to each their own, I've never bought a receiver based on looks or I never would have bougth my Harman Kardon.