my place is so dusty..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : my place is so dusty.....

derekwwww
12-29-2004, 09:27 AM
ok so i dont have anything on top of my receiver and i have to dust it off daily but there is vents in the top so dust gets inside too. what is the best stuff to buy to dust out the inside? and what can i do to prevent it from getting so dusty? should i put somthing on top to cover the vents or will that overheat it?

thanks

midfiguy
12-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Is it behind some glass? You can also put it in a cabinet that closes from the front and put a venting fan on top of it that will turn on when you turn the reciever on.

I used to have my reciever without any glass, and adding a glass door made a HUGE difference on how much dust accumulates on top of it. It still accumulates dust, but not enough to have to dust it every day.

derekwwww
12-29-2004, 12:54 PM
my receiver is out in the open sitting on a small table with nothing on top or beside it. i guess my best bet would be to buy a stereo stand of some sort that closes up.

JamezHill
12-29-2004, 11:18 PM
I live right next to a major highway and dust is constantly kicked up/around when i have my windows open. I ended up getting a glass cabinet and getting one of those "breatheable" cloth backs for it. There has been VERY little dust in there now. I love it. Good luck.

shokhead
12-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Vents are here for a reason so DONT cover them. Dust more often,buy a can on dust off,compressed air and spray the insides. You might try some static guard on a cloth and wipe off the top.

bullit67
12-31-2004, 07:00 PM
You could try a vacume as it will suck the dust up off the receiver not like when you dust it some of the dust can get pushed into the vents I also have a dust problem we have many parrots in the house and they are very dusty you could cover the receiver when not in use I also dust off cans of compressed air to blow out the inside. I just replaced my Yamaha Rec. with a Denon and when I pulled out the Yamaha I blew it out with caned air and was surprised I didnt get that much dust out of it after 4 years of use

derekwwww
12-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah when I'm not using the receiver I have a plastic cover i put over it. I think I'm gona get a cabinet of some sort.

plextor guy
01-01-2005, 05:16 AM
Dust is a battle in my area too. A couple ways I deal with it is to use a vacuum cleaner with as close to zero emissions as possible. Consumer reports' top two vacuum cleaners at the moment and both rated excellent for emissions are the Hoover WindTunnel Self Propelled Ultra U6439-900 at about 300 retail and the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 at about 140 retail. Enclosing equipment in a more or less sealed cabinet is something I did and have had good luck with. The cabinet I like right now and an amazingly good value is from World Market. Solid wood with infared friendly glass doors. There are vents in the back which should be enough for most equipment to breath. No particle board, all solid wood imported from either India or Thailand. The equipment cabinet are only 199 each. Assembly required but worth it. Search for Stinson Stereo Cabinet or Stinson Media Cabinet. http://www.costplus.com/costplus/public/products/home.html I started using disposable dusters (Swiffers I think). They pick up the dust and retain it instead of just stirring it up as most featjher dusters do. These seem to help a lot. Good luck.

Jimmy C
01-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I live right next to a major highway and dust is constantly kicked up/around when i have my windows open. I ended up getting a glass cabinet and getting one of those "breatheable" cloth backs for it. There has been VERY little dust in there now. I love it. Good luck.

I used to have an apartment in Islip Terrace... glad to have another fellow, audio-crazed, Long Islander!

Not sure how old you are... remember the "Golden Hammer"? lol... now it is another local pub, along with some competion (same strip mall), "Double Ks"... something like that... hehe.

Ah... the good 'ole days (I think I lived there in 1988)

BTW - where do you buy your gear? I know of a bunch of stores, and I'm finding Long Island has many hidden hifi shops...

Take care...

BillB
01-03-2005, 09:29 AM
I use my Craftsman Shop-Vac weekly with a brush attachment I bought just for the stereo gear. I use it on everything: the gear, racks, TV screen, and speakers. I've been doing this for two years and haven't had a problem.

Bill

Jimmy C
01-03-2005, 02:58 PM
ok so i dont have anything on top of my receiver and i have to dust it off daily but there is vents in the top so dust gets inside too. what is the best stuff to buy to dust out the inside? and what can i do to prevent it from getting so dusty? should i put somthing on top to cover the vents or will that overheat it?

thanks

...an office supply store (Office Max, whatever...) for the plastic covers for the printer, etc. These are easy on/off and vary in size... certainly they have one to fit the likes of a receiver.

Clean, easy and NOT to be used when the stereo is on (natch) :*)

Monstrous Mike
01-04-2005, 09:19 AM

thanks
If you have a forced air heating/cooling system with vents and ducts, you might want to get a company to vacuum those out for you and change the air filter on the furnace. Also if your house humidity is low, you might try an humidifier. This is good for you, your plants, your animals and controlling dust.