Connecting DVD and DVR Audio to Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting DVD and DVR Audio to Receiver

NateEaton
12-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Anyone familiar with the Kenwood VR200 receiver? It supports optical and coaxial audio connections so I'd hoped to be able to connect both my DVD player and DVR to it for 5.1 sound from DVDs and from digital cable movie channels. When I tried it, though, I had no sound for DVDs, just the DVR. I'm guessing it has to be one or the other.

If that's the case, any suggestions on a way I can get digital sound from the DVR without buying a new receiver? The VR200 was a great buy years ago ($400 instead of $750 just by foregoing DSP) and has done a great job of meeting my meager A/V requirements.

Regards,
Nate

N. Abstentia
12-29-2004, 10:51 AM
How many optical inputs does it have? You probably just need to go into the setup menu and map that optical input to the video input that you're using.

NateEaton
12-30-2004, 05:29 PM
How many optical inputs does it have? You probably just need to go into the setup menu and map that optical input to the video input that you're using.

It just has one optical input and one coaxial input. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't get into much detail on them.

Regards,
Nathan

NateEaton
12-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Problem solved. I finally found a note buried in the back of the manual that describes how to reset the microprocessor - it sounded like something reserved for fixing an error with the system but I tried it and the factory defaults were restored. With that done, I was able to map the DVD to Video 3 and the DVR to Video 2.

Regards,
Nathan