Any good used CD finds lately? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any good used CD finds lately?

DPM
12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Over the last few weeks I've managed to find three prog disks in the used bins that are impossible to find new in any of the stores around here. The first one I stumbled upon was Man On Fire's The Undefined Design. One week later at the same shop I picked up Salem Hill's Be. Then today I left the same store with Attention Deficit's The Idiot King. The fact that I was able to purchase each of these CDs for $2.50 only adds to the sickness of it all.

So far, I've spun Man On Fire twice and think it is really good. I may jump on their next release when it comes out.

As for Salem Hill, I need more exposure time, and I've yet to listen to Attention Deficit.

DM

Chip_B
12-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Over the last few weeks I've managed to find three prog disks in the used bins that are impossible to find new in any of the stores around here. The first one I stumbled upon was Man On Fire's The Undefined Design. One week later at the same shop I picked up Salem Hill's Be. Then today I left the same store with Attention Deficit's The Idiot King. The fact that I was able to purchase each of these CDs for $2.50 only adds to the sickness of it all.

So far, I've spun Man On Fire twice and think it is really good. I may jump on their next release when it comes out.

As for Salem Hill, I need more exposure time, and I've yet to listen to Attention Deficit.

DM I picked up a few things at the local Goodwill store a few days ago at $2 a pop.

Lenny McDaniel - The Blues Side One of those 'what-the-hell' purchases. Never heard of him, but it looked like it would be worth a listen. The tunes are mostly white-boy funk/R&B. Not great, but not bad either.

Jude - No One's Really Beautiful (EP) 'Rick James' is on it, so it was worth the $2.

The Drowners - Gasoline The jewel case art led me to believe this might be a rockabilly band. It's not. The first 12 cuts are utterly nondescript rock-n-roll, but the final ("hidden") tune is outstanding--a semi-slow retro-60s acoustic cut with a way cool chord progression. It was worth the $2 for that tune alone.

Down by Law - s/t Sorta speed-punkish...not even mildly appealing.

Chris Whitley - Dirt Floor A stripped down, all-acoustic effort that is both simple and deeply melancholy. I'm a big fan of Whitley's music and this is great stuff. 'Scapyard Lullaby' is particularly outstanding.

-Chip

3-LockBox
12-31-2004, 04:03 PM
I guess I'll find out in a few days...I ordered some prog CDs via Amazon, so I'll let you guys know. Spock's Beard:Day For A Night, POS:Remedy Lane, Jon Anderson:Olias Of Sunhillow, and Rick Wakeman:Criminal Record+Journey To Center Of Earth.

I have found some good deals on used DVDs; $5.00 ea at this one pawn shop in Bellingham, WA. One score was Steely Dan: 2againstNature--awesome, another was the movie, Almost Famous. Steve Hackett and King Crimson are on the way too, both used, via Amazon.

nobody
12-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Not a used CD find, but a really great new vinyl find a couple days ago. I came across the new Blues Explosion LP for 5.99. I thought it was mismarked or just an EP version or something, but it's full length, has great packaging on heavy vinyl and tis a great sounding record and excellent music from a band I've always only been mildly interested in. This is by far the best thing I've heard from them from my point of view.

JDaniel
01-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm always finding good, used vinyl. But my two best finds lately have been Chester & Lester - Chet Atkins & Les Paul, and Chester & Lester - Guitar Monsters. Both albums are superb. Chet & Les in a studio in Nashville, just jamming back and forth. Very enjoyable stuff. I also picked up Chet Atkins - Picks on the Beatles. Another good album.

I rarely buy cds anymore. I can usually pick up good vinyl for $1/pop or less. Takes some hunting skills though.

JD