New to Audio, Wharfedale and Mcintosh? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to Audio, Wharfedale and Mcintosh?

TessierAshpool
12-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here so TIA for any comments. I've been looking in to setting up a component system for myself now that I am without stereo equipment (alas, the ex took it all). I've decided on getting some Wharfedale Diamond 8.4's as they are within my price point and was thinking of getting a Harmon Kardon 2 channel receiver to power them. Then, when I was home for Christmas, I found my dad's old McinTosh MA6200 integrated amplifier and thought, SWEET!!!

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I was wondering, do you think 75 watts per channel would be sufficient to power floorstanding speakers such as these? Or is this something more appropriate to bookshelf systems?

Also, how import do you guys think that CD players are to the system suggested above. Will I hear a huge difference with a 200 versus way an 800 CD or not?

Anyway, I know that's a lot, but I figured if anyone could help, it'd be ya'll.

THANK YOU!!!!!

:)

brigrizzme
12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't think your fathers 6200 will be powerful enough for your new speakers. I reccomend securly packing the McIntosh Integrated, insuring it for $1000.00 and shipping it directly to me.

Cheers!

TessierAshpool
12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
I don't think your fathers 6200 will be powerful enough for your new speakers. I reccomend securly packing the McIntosh Integrated, insuring it for $1000.00 and shipping it directly to me.

Cheers!

Hmmm - I'll have to go ahead and make sure to do so. :-P

I'm guessing from your response that I should most definitely hang on to the McIntosh and that it'll be more than sufficient. Always knew the old man was on top of his game in the audio department, R.I.P.

-M

brigrizzme
12-28-2004, 01:51 PM
The 6200 is a wonderful piece and probably actually puts out closer to 85-90wpc. McIntosh components are superior to HK, Denon, NAD, Adcom, Rotel, Yamaha, or any other mid-fi stuff (IMHO). I've owned many McIntosh amps, preamps, pre/tuners and have never been disappointed. They also seem to be going up in price thanks to collectors. Hope it works.

If it does you've got a keeper!!

TessierAshpool
12-28-2004, 01:55 PM
The 6200 is a wonderful piece and probably actually puts out closer to 85-90wpc. McIntosh components are superior to HK, Denon, NAD, Adcom, Rotel, Yamaha, or any other mid-fi stuff (IMHO). I've owned many McIntosh amps, preamps, pre/tuners and have never been disappointed. They also seem to be going up in price thanks to collectors. Hope it works.

If it does you've got a keeper!!

Awesome!!!

Thanks for the response, it's good to know what you've got. I found it the other day - my mom had stashed it under a bed somewhere, and I was real thankful she didn't throw it out.

Thanks for the advice, I will test it at the earliest opportunity!

-TA

brigrizzme
12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Go to:

www.audiokarma.org

-scroll through the McIntosh section.

RGA
12-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Watts really are not that important - the power supply and the speakers are. Some speakers will play louder with 1 watt than other speakers will play with 100 watts. And the quality of the first watt, as it were, is the most critical thing. And McIntosh should murder current receivers.

That amp should allow you some extra cash for speakers(hich is where the bulk of the dollars should go). I like the Wharfedales - I own some of the best Wharfedale made back in the late 1980s. The Diamonds are a good budget line but I think you want to consider several options here before you buy anything.

Firstly Do you want to eventually build home theater? If you do then you want to consider a speaker line that offers a matching center and rear speakers - don't wait too long because a lot of companies bring out new lines ever 2-4 years and then you have a tough time matching. Chances are the Mac can't do home theater like the HK.

If you care about music mostly and movies now and then then you can certainly buy TWO really good speakers and watch movies through them - two good spekaers is always better than 5.1 speakers for the same money. Find a specific budget you're willing to pay but listen to speakers and gear well out of your price range - I heard a $50,000.00 system and several well beyond that - not because i have any intention of getting it but becuase i needed a reference of what is some of the best available - some of those companies have cheaper speakers that resemble those expensive systems. Which is what I bought - I could not afford the dream system but I can get relatively close for saner money.

Secondly - consider the floorstander versus standmount scenario - inexpensive floorstanders like the 804 have more bass but they also have more box resonances than their standmounts - some people argue that it is better to buy say the Diamond 8.1 and a good subwoofer - This may or may not be better but something you will have to explore.

I reviewed several budget speakers here not long ago - there may be a few for you to consider auditioning - never go solely by a review of course but there may be some in here you had not considered and some you may end up liking a helluva lot more than the Wharfedale's - then again maybe not - these are pretty long posts in order.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6694
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6698

TessierAshpool
12-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Hey RGA - thanks for the really thorough response!

I'm building this primarily for music, and yes, I'm on a budget so what I've heard about wharfedale's has been pretty positive. They've just come out with the Diamond 9 line which is supposed to be even better than the 8's, so I'm actually thinking about saving up for those (now that I don't have to drop a lot on a receiver).

Thanks for the links to the threads - I'ma peruse them and get back to you. Once again, I really appreciate all the info and will post back when I get it all set up, speakers blaring my mind into infinity.

-TA

RGA
12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey RGA - thanks for the really thorough response!

I'm building this primarily for music, and yes, I'm on a budget so what I've heard about wharfedale's has been pretty positive. They've just come out with the Diamond 9 line which is supposed to be even better than the 8's, so I'm actually thinking about saving up for those (now that I don't have to drop a lot on a receiver).

Thanks for the links to the threads - I'ma peruse them and get back to you. Once again, I really appreciate all the info and will post back when I get it all set up, speakers blaring my mind into infinity.

-TA

Well Wharfedale is now owned by Quad as is Mission. I liked what I have heard from Wharfedale - for the money they've been solid for decades - they had some problems in the mid 90s and were bought by a CHinese company and seemed to only be selling junk stuff at Costco - but QUad has stepped in and basically bought the name Wharfedale and are putting out some nice speakers again.

The Pacific series got some nice reviews in the british press as well and are apparently not much money either - but as always everything gets a good review from the press so you still need to listen.

topspeed
01-01-2005, 08:31 PM
When did Quad buy Mission? What else does Quad own? Are they trying to become the Harmon of Europe?