Resistance: that big of a deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Resistance: that big of a deal?

texlle
12-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, just a small question, since I really always wondered about it but never knew the answer. On the back of my Jolida integrated, I have two taps for the speaker cables, an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm tap. Ever since I had the amp, I ran my speakers at 8 ohm not thinking it was really a big deal. I know that my new Dynaudios are a 4 ohm speaker. My question is, is it really going to make a big difference if I use the 8 ohm tap to run my speakers instead of the 4 ohm? For some reason, I like the sound using the 8 ohm tap over the 4 ohm, so I want to keep it. Thanks ;).

techgeek42
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
I had a similar question that TechLore answered. Maybe they could answer yours. http://www.techlore.com

risabet
02-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, just a small question, since I really always wondered about it but never knew the answer. On the back of my Jolida integrated, I have two taps for the speaker cables, an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm tap. Ever since I had the amp, I ran my speakers at 8 ohm not thinking it was really a big deal. I know that my new Dynaudios are a 4 ohm speaker. My question is, is it really going to make a big difference if I use the 8 ohm tap to run my speakers instead of the 4 ohm? For some reason, I like the sound using the 8 ohm tap over the 4 ohm, so I want to keep it. Thanks ;).

The impedance of your speakers is their nominal impedance, they could easily reach an impedance above 8 ohms at some frequencies. If the 8 ohm tap sounds best use that one. The taps simply represent different windings on the transformer to match theamps output to the speaker impedance. You can't hurt either the amp or the speaker by using the "incorrect" output tap.