Rain rain rain....and Augie March [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rain rain rain....and Augie March

Davey
12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
No work today, but nonstop rain. Been dressed to go running for a couple hours but I guess it's not gonna happen today. Oh well, gave me a good opportunity to give this new Augie March Strange Bird some extra listening time and it really is very nice. There's an excerpt from Rolling Stone at the amazon.com site that says something like "Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks leading the Flaming Lips", but I hear a lot of Kinks goodness in it myself. The softer, literate, non-garage band Kinks that comes out on their epic albums like Village Green and Arthur. Of course, a band that takes its name from the great American novel by Saul Bellows would be expected to have a literary bent, and they do, I guess. But the words never get in the way of the music, they work together as they should, both supporting each other. Apparently it was released in their native Australia way back in 2002 on BMG and received a great deal of critical acclaim, but spinART just recently released it here in the US, also to a bit of critical acclaim. So what to call it, a 2002 or 2004 release? Well, as is my non-anally retentive practice, my copy says 2004 on the back and so that's what it is. A song or two remind me a bit of David Kilgour. Some of it is on the precious side, like that BW/VDP connection mentioned above. It has a lush sound that could almost be described as ornate. Reminds me a bit of the experimental pop side of Robert Wyatt, fragile but not as quite soft and feathery like Wyatt. Lots of piano and strings. Comes with a couple videos that you can also watch at their site. Here (http://www.augie-march.com/media/video/vid_tv.asx) is the first song from the album called "The Vineyard". Enjoy (or not ;)).

Hey, the rain looks to be letting up so guess I'll go ahead and go running and probably get soaked! Later.

Stone
12-27-2004, 12:44 PM
. . . Well, as is my non-anally retentive practice, my copy says 2004 on the back and so that's what it is. . .

My favorite part of your review.

Davey
12-27-2004, 01:55 PM
. . . Well, as is my non-anally retentive practice, my copy says 2004 on the back and so that's what it is. . .My favorite part of your review.
You're so vain, you probably think this <s>song</s> line is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this <s>song</s> line is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

Oh Carly, you were so sweet. Where'd ya go?

Hey Stoney, I'd bet you'd really like this one. Maybe I'll send out a couple sample copies. I did do a year end comp but never got around to fine tuning it before I lost interest. Guess because I already hit a lot of the stuff on my Half Gone and Down the Road comps. Oh well, maybe I'll revisit it in a few days and try to make it ready for prime time.

Hey, the rain looks to be letting up so guess I'll go ahead and go running and probably get soaked!
And so I did, and I did :)

Dusty Chalk
12-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Basing it on the year on the back is a bad idea. I forget which (the Gwen Stefani?), but one of the new releases I recently picked up and flipped over already said 2005. OTOH, a lot of 2004 releases are going to say 2003.

I usually go by whatever AMG says.

Davey
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Basing it on the year on the back is a bad idea....I usually go by whatever AMG says.
Yeah, that was mostly just to razz Stoney. I tend to follow your advice about AMG, except when it doesn't suit me such as in this case where they list it as 2002 for the original Aussie release, although they do make mention of this new spinART release in 2004 at the end of their very nice 4.5 star review (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ji5zef5k3gfo~T1) which I probably linked in my original obner post. AMG also went against my preference with the Honeydogs latest, listing it as 2003 because the label apparently released a small number of copies at the end of last year but didn't officially release it until March 23, 2004, which is the date most of the sellers list (and in the Honeydogs case the CD does say 2003 on the back, contradicting what I just said above :)). No biggie for me since I don't really take these year end lists very seriously, but I tend to go by US release date unless I cheat and buy the import, which doesn't often happen because of my cheapassedness ;)

Life can get so complex for us music nerdies, huh? That Autolux does rool - you'll love it as I do and everyone should. On the other hand, the Ray Lamontagne has turned out to be a bit of a letdown after listening at home. It did sound really nice when I sampled it in the store but comes out kind of bland on the hacienda system. Guess I'll save it for a rainy day...oh wait, it is. Too much experimental pop type stuff lately I guess. He sounds kind of like Bob Neuwirth, ie high quality stuff, just not quite the dynamic I was expecting and hoping for. Hey tentoze, you still lurking here at all? How are you liking this one, twangophile? They still won't let me post over at your hangout.

Dusty Chalk
12-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh, okay, never mind.

Yeah, I saw your argument in favour of the Honeydogs being listed as a 2004 release, and I agree with it. I mean, if people actually cared enough about prior years' lists enough to go back and check 'em out after anyone who changed 'em changed 'em, I'd say, yeah, just go ahead and change your 2003 list.

But no-one cares.

I like what I've seen some people do, and have a special section at the end of their list to list albums which they discovered a year late (albums that were really released in 2003, but most of us didn't discover until 2004, and were better than many of our 2003 choices). I mean, I only discovered that Rob Dougan album, and it's easily in my top 10 from that year, and I don't even know what my top 10 from that year is (I think it's a 2001 release). But who's going to care about a late discovery like that? No-one I know.

Well, that's not true -- to anyone who is reading, and does care, please forgive me for calling you a nobody -- I'm sure you exist and care.

tentoze
12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
On the other hand, the Ray Lamontagne has turned out to be a bit of a letdown after listening at home. It did sound really nice when I sampled it in the store but comes out kind of bland on the hacienda system. Guess I'll save it for a rainy day...oh wait, it is. Too much experimental pop type stuff lately I guess. He sounds kind of like Bob Neuwirth, ie high quality stuff, just not quite the dynamic I was expecting and hoping for. Hey tentoze, you still lurking here at all? How are you liking this one, twangophile? They still won't let me post over at your hangout.
Still lurking occasionally. Yr reaction to Lamontagne is not surprising to me at all- it certainly isn't a leap into the outer edges of quirky musicdom; rather, just well-crafted songs performed in a fairly straightforward, yet emotional manner. It's one of my top ten for the year, so you could say I'm still quite taken by it. Email me or PM as to the problem yr having at AK and I can most likely get it fixed.....

et

Davey
12-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Still lurking occasionally. Yr reaction to Lamontagne is not surprising to me at all- it certainly isn't a leap into the outer edges of quirky musicdom; rather, just well-crafted songs performed in a fairly straightforward, yet emotional manner. It's one of my top ten for the year, so you could say I'm still quite taken by it. Email me or PM as to the problem yr having at AK and I can most likely get it fixed.....

et
It is starting to grow on me with more listens. Thanks for the feedback. Have you noticed a certain similarity to Joan Armatrading on some songs? There's one that I thought was a cover on my first distracted listen, but then I realized it was just similar. Another time he almost breaks into Dave Mason's "Feelin Alright" territory, but that's cool. Definitely has some of that Ryan Adams feel from Heartbreaker as well. Nice album, just has the feel in some places that he's borrowing a little too much without a fresh take. But when he's on, he's really on. Unfortunately, some of the times I think he is most on are also the times that sound the most familiar to me. But still, I do like it.

At AudioKarma I registered and can login OK but can't post. It just says that I'm in the moderator cue for being approved to post. But it's been that way for over a month. Doesn't seem like much activity there anyway, except for you and a couple others :)

tentoze
12-29-2004, 01:57 PM
It is starting to grow on me with more listens. Thanks for the feedback. Have you noticed a certain similarity to Joan Armatrading on some songs? There's one that I thought was a cover on my first distracted listen, but then I realized it was just similar. Another time he almost breaks into Dave Mason's "Feelin Alright" territory, but that's cool. Definitely has some of that Ryan Adams feel from Heartbreaker as well. Nice album, just has the feel in some places that he's borrowing a little too much without a fresh take. But when he's on, he's really on. Unfortunately, some of the times I think he is most on are also the times that sound the most familiar to me. But still, I do like it. As I said, it ain't on the cutting edge; but sometimes, it doesn't have to be for me at least. I've somewhere that identified a V. Morrison tinge, but not sure that I hear it other than a lot of emotion. Stylisitically, not sure where I would try to slot him, if forced to. And, no, I don't hear Bob Neuwirth (GENIUS, IMO) in it.

At AudioKarma I registered and can login OK but can't post. It just says that I'm in the moderator cue for being approved to post. But it's been that way for over a month. Doesn't seem like much activity there anyway, except for you and a couple others :) Only a handful, it's true, but the ones that are that post the most are very much aligned with my tastes. If you used "Davey" as log-in name, I'll expedite it. If not let me know what you did use and I'll expedite that, even.

Davey
12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
As I said, it aIf you used "Davey" as log-in name, I'll expedite it. If not let me know what you did use and I'll expedite that, even.
Thanks, I just checked and it looks like I can post now. Tried a few days ago and I still couldn't but all hunky dory now. Too bad I'm all out of insightful thoughts right now and don't have anything to say - maybe I'll introduce myself later and say something silly :)

tentoze
12-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks, I just checked and it looks like I can post now. Tried a few days ago and I still couldn't but all hunky dory now. Too bad I'm all out of insightful thoughts right now and don't have anything to say - maybe I'll introduce myself later and say something silly :)

I got em to fix it with a quick PM. Was just a glitch. I'm going to dinnner and drink much beer for me b-day right now................

Davey
12-29-2004, 02:45 PM
I got em to fix it with a quick PM. Was just a glitch. I'm going to dinnner and drink much beer for me b-day right now................
Thanks, and I'll drink one in your honor tonight as well. Have a great time, buddy!