Sony's LED screen the next evolution [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony's LED screen the next evolution

Mr Peabody
12-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I heard Sony is selling in Japan a LED screen TV and they could possibly hit the U.S. in spring. The LED is said to be the next big thing. They are able to reproduce shades of color like when you view a picture of the sky we will be able to see all the various shades of blue. I heard it will be around the $10k price point but I don't know what size screen that price is for.

junkeroos
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I thought they are coming out with their own version of a LCoS tv. And Toshiba is coming out with SED tvs. LG, among others, are coming out with slimmer CRT's as well. Can't wait to see them this year.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1750391,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

ToddL
03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
I too have heard that Sony has this LED screen in Japan. There is a press release to go with this, but unfortunately it is only in Japanese and not translated. Another new technology from Sony will be the Silicon Crystal Reflective Display (acronymed SXRD). This t.v. will display 1920x1080, this being a total use of HDTV technology. As of now this is only being slated to be released in a "70. This will be a North American release as I am in Canada and holding a promo brochure. Street date and price range were not given.This looks like it should be good. Let me know if anyone knows more.

RuslanDarus448
05-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Кто подскажет сколько стоит аренда экранов (http://www.ldm-group.ru)?

bfalls
05-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Sony does indeed have an LED flat screen TV. We have a prototype at our Sony plant in Terre Haute IN we received for testing 3D movies. We also have a Samsung 7000 Series LED we use with a Samsung 3D players for the same purpose. The Sony looks significantly better to me, but that's just my opinion.

We've viewed several movies including "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs", some 3D sports videos and a couple of 3D games. I've looked, but the prototype doesn't yet have a model number, so it came to us straight off the drawing board.

I think the Samsung glasses are a little better and have a longer battery life.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
The 3D glasses need batteries? Do people seem eager for this 3D?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-30-2010, 08:38 AM
The 3D glasses need batteries? Do people seem eager for this 3D?

They need batteries to sync the glasses with the television. Current home 3D uses the active shutter format. The television tells the glasses when to open the left and right shutters exactly at the right moment so the right eye only see's what the right eye is supposed to see, and the same with the left eye.

I have yet to see a system that works like RealD, the passive 3D format with the non active glasses.

There are some people that are eager, and some that are totally reticent. The folks most reticent about 3D come in several flavors. There are folks like Pix who have never seen new 3D, and are making their opinions based on old analog film based 3D. Others are worried about the cost of the upgrade, and some cannot see it, or have trouble seeing it without eyestrain. On the other side of the coin, there are folks like me who have already purchased a 3D set, and now a projector (the LG CF3D).

hotrodder000
05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I personally believe this takes away the originality of quality TV. There are very few, if any, movies, shows, games, etc etc that I would even WANT to see in 3D. I guess im just old school with a newer technology sense...lol

pixelthis
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM
They need batteries to sync the glasses with the television. Current home 3D uses the active shutter format. The television tells the glasses when to open the left and right shutters exactly at the right moment so the right eye only see's what the right eye is supposed to see, and the same with the left eye.

I have yet to see a system that works like RealD, the passive 3D format with the non active glasses.

There are some people that are eager, and some that are totally reticent. The folks most reticent about 3D come in several flavors. There are folks like Pix who have never seen new 3D, and are making their opinions based on old analog film based 3D. Others are worried about the cost of the upgrade, and some cannot see it, or have trouble seeing it without eyestrain. On the other side of the coin, there are folks like me who have already purchased a 3D set, and now a projector (the LG CF3D).

On the other hand there are corp shills like you, who most likely get their stuff for free,
and have NO clue as to whats going on in the real world.
People arent worried about "3d tv", they're worried about groceries, more
and more peeps are watching their computers and ditching cable and DVD,
altogether.
And as economies collapse, along with sales, and the IPAD is the biggest thing going,
you and your corp masters cling to the hope of ... what?
3D TV, yeah, put the lipstick on that tired old pig and trot it out, in a market satuated
with product.
DAD: Hey, lets get one of those new 3D tv's!!!

MOM:(SLAP), snap outta it, they're foreclosing next week.
Enjoy your "3d" Talky, my advice, get plenty of titles while the studios are crazy enough to put them out, that way your new "3D" tv wont become a boat anchor too fast.
Meanwhile, back in the real world, I just got two BLU discs at fire sale prices at
a Movie GALLERY closeout, second one I'VE rode into the ground, as 2400 stores are closing.
Thats the real world out there, you'd have trouble selling a cure for cancer,
much less the hackneyed old "3D" crap, complete with gimicky battery powered glasses,
headaches, depression, and rediculous price.
ENJOY.:1:

05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
On the other hand there are corp shills like you, who most likely get their stuff for free,
and have NO clue as to whats going on in the real world.

There are two important facts that punch a giant hole in your useless prognostication.

1. Both companies I work for specialize in sound services, not selling television sets.

2. I buy everything I own with either my own money, or the money I earn through the companies I work for and own. While I get a discount, the price I pay is respective to the quality of the product itself. In other words, I get a discount on pretty expensive stuff.

People arent worried about "3d tv", they're worried about groceries, more
and more peeps are watching their computers and ditching cable and DVD,
altogether.

Sorry, I support the statistics more than your isolated lies and mis-truths. People are watching their television more hours than watching anything on their computers. That is supported by facts and statistics covering a very long stretch of time. I see absolutely no trend of that changing except upwards in terms of television viewing times.

And as economies collapse, along with sales, and the IPAD is the biggest thing going,
you and your corp masters cling to the hope of ... what?

Better sound, that's about it!

3D TV, yeah, put the lipstick on that tired old pig and trot it out, in a market satuated
with product.

Products do not live longer than people, that is especially true for AV products. Folks upgrade, or cry about the enablility to keep up with AV technology. 3D will be as common as HDTV itself in a few years, much like 120hz refresh rates are today, and 240hz are on the current generation of televisions. Once the industry goes full bore for 240hz refresh rates, 3D is going to by icing on the cake. It is too easy to adopt on televisions with that refresh rate, and they will be everywhere. Your next television upgrade, a 3D set without purposeful intent.

DAD: Hey, lets get one of those new 3D tv's!!!

MOM:(SLAP), snap outta it, they're foreclosing next week.
Enjoy your "3d" Talky, my advice, get plenty of titles while the studios are crazy enough to put them out, that way your new "3D" tv wont become a boat anchor too fast.
Meanwhile, back in the real world, I just got two BLU discs at fire sale prices at
a Movie GALLERY closeout, second one I'VE rode into the ground, as 2400 stores are closing.
Thats the real world out there, you'd have trouble selling a cure for cancer,
much less the hackneyed old "3D" crap, complete with gimicky battery powered glasses,
headaches, depression, and rediculous price.
ENJOY.:1:

Colorful, but not representative of reality.

What is happening with movie gallery has zero to do with 3D. They don't even offer anything 3D related, so they are effectively taken out of the equation. They cannot be offered as an example for anything 3D related. Next........

The price of entry into 3D is not all that high when compared to other technology related to televisions. HDTV cost a lot more at there introduction. All of the 3D televisions out there are excellent 2D television as well, and the price premium on the street is not much more than $300-400 over other high performance sets. I paid just over $2700 dollars for my 55" Samsung, and along with 3D you get Skype video conferencing, and all of the basic options for internet connectivity. You get two sets of glasses, and one 3D movie to get you started. I have obtained a few more since getting the set.

Since you haven't seen anything 3D whether it be theatrical, or at the home, you ignorant and uninformed opinion should be taken for just what it is.

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
What's the price of the glasses?

Some one was telling me on another forum Netflix can now do HD over the net and some network content is available.

pixelthis
06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
What's the price of the glasses?

Some one was telling me on another forum Netflix can now do HD over the net and some network content is available.

I really don't see where the bandwidth would come from, and you would need a
heck of a buffer.
3D TV, the new coke of the 21st century:1:

E-Stat
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Last weekend, I reconfigured one of my access points to be a gateway which allows it to provide what is effectively a long cable from my office to the den, but without wires. It sits behind the DLP monitor and has a short cable leading to the Samsung player. That allows me to stream Netflix content. While not every movie is available, there are quite a few. As you indicated, some network TV content is also available. You go online and place choices in your "instant queue". The wife and I watched about four flicks and the video quality was very good, though not quite HD. There were only a couple of times when the playback paused for a moment to rebuffer.

I think that will be the norm in the future instead of shipping disks back and forth.

rw

06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Last weekend, I reconfigured one of my access points to be a gateway which allows it to provide what is effectively a long cable from my office to the den, but without wires. It sits behind the DLP monitor and has a short cable leading to the Samsung player. That allows me to stream Netflix content. While not every movie is available, there are quite a few. As you indicated, some network TV content is also available. You go online and place choices in your "instant queue". The wife and I watched about four flicks and the video quality was very good, though not quite HD. There were only a couple of times when the playback paused for a moment to rebuffer.

I think that will be the norm in the future instead of shipping disks back and forth.

rw

When it comes to DVD rentals, I agree with your last statement.

There were several reasons I upgraded to U-verse. One, the 35mbps speed I get for internet and wireless. The other, no pausing for rebuffer. And lastly, you can finally experience the "just slightly above DVD" resolution of their HD offerings.

If I could get all of my rental DVD's in their HD format(which is above DVD thanks to AVC encoding, but a lot lower than true 1080p) I wouldn't bother with them sending the DVD.

E-Stat
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
As an optimist and a computer professional, I think it is only a matter of time when fiber is common and the bandwidth required for HD will be widely available.

rw

pixelthis
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM

There were several reasons I upgraded to U-verse. One, the 35mbps speed I get for internet and wireless. The other, no pausing for rebuffer. And lastly, you can finally experience the "just slightly above DVD" resolution of their HD offerings.

If I could get all of my rental DVD's in their HD format(which is above DVD thanks to AVC encoding, but a lot lower than true 1080p) I wouldn't bother with them sending the DVD.

I was thinking about U-VERSE, now glad I didn't .
"Just above "DVD" sounds like an unnessesary compromise, even the free PPV stuff on my
cable is 1080i, which my TV takes to 1080p quite readily
:1:

06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I was thinking about U-VERSE, now glad I didn't .
"Just above "DVD" sounds like an unnessesary compromise, even the free PPV stuff on my
:1:

You are comparing apples and oranges idiot. PPV is completely different from streaming.

Geoffcin
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
This thread is interesting but let's please no more name calling.

pixelthis
06-05-2010, 08:45 AM
This thread is interesting but let's please no more name calling.

THIS IS SIR TALKY THE TALKATIVE you're talking about, cant get your expectations too high.
AND streaming is different, but you were clearly talking bout their payperview.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Кто подскажет сколько стоит аренда экранов (http://www.ldm-group.ru)?
Wait... WHAT?

Another one slips through the spam filter. Oh wait, there is no spam filter. I sure do wish there was a troll filter though. :1:

Mr Peabody
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Rich, don't be making fun of people who speak another language. I wonder how they got those markings above the letters..... cute.

A troll filter is like putting weed killer on your lawn, you might wake up one day and nothing be there :)

06-05-2010, 03:06 PM
THIS IS SIR TALKY THE TALKATIVE you're talking about, cant get your expectations too high.
AND streaming is different, but you were clearly talking bout their payperview.:1:

I said this

and you said this in response.

even the free PPV stuff on my

Its clear YOU were speaking of PPV, not me as the latter are your words. I was(and everyone else) clearly talking about internet speed as it pertains to Netflix. Netflix is not pay per view is it? If you really think your PPV has enough bits to be true 1080i, then I have a island in the middle of this big bay I want to sell ya. Cable is heavily compressed, so much so that it is not even comparable to off the air broadcast 1080i, or 720p for that matter. It may be "encoded" in 1080i resolution, but the perceptual visual information is certainly not there.

pixelthis
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I said this

and you said this in response.

even the free PPV stuff on my

Its clear YOU were speaking of PPV, not me as the latter are your words. I was(and everyone else) clearly talking about internet speed as it pertains to Netflix. Netflix is not pay per view is it? If you really think your PPV has enough bits to be true 1080i, then I have a island in the middle of this big bay I want to sell ya. Cable is heavily compressed, so much so that it is not even comparable to off the air broadcast 1080i, or 720p for that matter. It may be "encoded" in 1080i resolution, but the perceptual visual information is certainly not there.

Their "HD offerings" is what you said. NUFF SAID.
And my cable HD offerings started off quite average, but are now fiber optic to the pole
in some cases, the neighborhood in others. Lately the HD has gotten quite good.
Amazing in some cases.
In the case of the Ion presentation of Entrapment tonight (which has just started in HD)
I was astounded by the quality, quite good, really.
And TNT is still in the habit of some showings be a "fake" kind of "HD", the fallen last night was clearly one of those.
BUT Lucky Number Slevin, well, that was a true HD presentation.
Theres a lot of wallpaper and various other displays , and this was an obvious HD print,
a true delight, and easy to tell the difference between the two.
Even the SD stuff is looking better.
And yes, all of the "information" is there, of course its not BLU quality, but what is?:1: