TV Size compared to room size [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Size compared to room size

Sidecar666
12-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey everybody! I need you esteemed help. I'm looking for a new DLP or LCD rear projection HDTV...a big one! I don't know what size would be correct. I've got a retangular room about 9' by 13'. The TV will be on the 9' wall and I will be sitting about 8' away from it. What are some size recomendations. I was thinking somewhere between 57" and 62", but I'm not sure if these are too big or not for the distance I am away from it. I only have the budget for about 4K bucks. Any recomendations on good looking TV's? I've only just started, but the Mitsibishi's caught my eye right away.
Any help would be great!
-Thanks

hershon
12-26-2004, 12:11 PM
I have a rear projection HD TV which is about 9 1/2- 10' from where I sit on the Sofa. Ny TV is 48". For my eyes I don't think I could handle a bigger picture from that distance.

AVMASTER
12-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey everybody! I need you esteemed help. I'm looking for a new DLP or LCD rear projection HDTV...a big one! I don't know what size would be correct. I've got a retangular room about 9' by 13'. The TV will be on the 9' wall and I will be sitting about 8' away from it. What are some size recomendations. I was thinking somewhere between 57" and 62", but I'm not sure if these are too big or not for the distance I am away from it. I only have the budget for about 4K bucks. Any recomendations on good looking TV's? I've only just started, but the Mitsibishi's caught my eye right away.
Any help would be great!
-Thanks
JVC HD52z575 at 52" minimum viewing distance suggested at 6.5' ,however the JVCs' technology provides a densier pixel structure and extremely bright picture so with your viewing distance you could get away with the 61" version

Lensman
12-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Any help would be great!
-Thanks

The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers standard EG-18-1994 recommends a minimum viewing angle of 30 degrees for movie theaters. With your sofa placed 8' away, this would equate to a 59" diagonal 16:9 set. So your preferred sizes are right in the ball park. However you need to be sure to take the set's resolution into account as well when deciding on size. It might be quite distracting to get a larger set only to discover you're able to make out individual pixels. If possible, try to view the sets your considering from 8'.