Help w/ setting Crossover frequencies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ setting Crossover frequencies

kkowalk
12-25-2004, 07:57 PM
I just got a Harmon Kardon AVR 130 that allows setting crossover frequencies for my various speakers. The AVR allows individual settings of 40hz-200hz. My problem is that the crossover freqencies of my individual speakers are as follows: Fronts-2000hz, Center-800hz-3200hz and Rears- 4500hz. What am I missing here? Should I be looking at a different rating? Thanks for your help. I want to make sure I set it up correctly.

woodman
12-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I just got a Harmon Kardon AVR 130 that allows setting crossover frequencies for my various speakers. The AVR allows individual settings of 40hz-200hz. My problem is that the crossover freqencies of my individual speakers are as follows: Fronts-2000hz, Center-800hz-3200hz and Rears- 4500hz. What am I missing here? Should I be looking at a different rating? Thanks for your help. I want to make sure I set it up correctly.

What you're reading (regarding your speakers and their "crossover frequencies"), is not relevant to the subject at hand, and is not something that a receiver has any reason to address in the first place. In fact, it is not possible for a receiver to directly control that parameter. What you need to be concerned with is the routing of audio frequencies to the speakers that they are capable of handling, which generally means the point at which all freq. below a certain number are sent to the "subwoofer" (you don't say whether or not you even have such a thing in your system), and all freq. above that point are sent to the rest of the speakers.

If you don't have a subwoofer, then you'll probably want to send "full range" (all frequencies) signals to the main left and right front speakers and possibly to the center as well, and set a crossover freq. for the surrounds that will direct all the lower freq. that would otherwise be sent to them, to go the front speakers instead. If there is a "sub" in the system, then you would set a crossover freq. (generally around 100Hz - or 90 - or 80 or something in that range) that will route the freq. below that to the "sub", and all freq. above that to the rest of the speakers.

Is this clear? Hope so. If not, ask further Qs.

spuppy517
12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
If there is a "sub" in the system, then you would set a crossover freq. (generally around 100Hz - or 90 - or 80 or something in that range) that will route the freq. below that to the "sub", and all freq. above that to the rest of the speakers.

If you pretty decent front speakers, wouldn't you want to set the crossover lower like around 60 maybe? I really have no clue, obviously, but am curious beacuse I'll be in a similer situation soon (once I've gotten my new equipment). I realize it's mostly a personal preference thing and should be played around with but I'm just curious if there is a more technical reason why you said the 80-100Hz range?