got my sr 80's today... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : got my sr 80's today...

LeftofCool
12-24-2004, 08:20 PM
My Grado SR 80's came today. They sound good, but not as good I expected from all the rave reviews out there. However, I've also read that they require a 30-40 hour break-in time before they show their true colors. How much validity is there to this statement? I bought the SR 80's over the 60's because of the improved bass performance, but from what I'm hearing, the bass is actually lacking in some of the jazz settings, such as in the Bela Fleck & the Flecktones' albums. Will these things open up or am I losing it? :confused:

Wireworm5
12-24-2004, 09:36 PM
In my opinion you aren't going to hear the bass improvement you're hoping for. Headphones are a very subjective to personal taste. Reviews are good only in helping you to create a shortlist, auditioning them yourself is necassary with hp. Myself I like my Sony V-600, these are not harsh to my ears and they could handle low bass notes without breaking up. Traites that I experience with other hp I've used.
The reviews for these Sony cans are both pos. and neg., which ones are you to believe?
Also your receiver/amp can make a difference. When I used my friends Senns 570 on my Sony receiver they sounded best in Virtual Dolby mode. The Sony's when I demoded them in the store the receiver they let me use to test these couldn't power them, so I took a chance also in buying them. At home, my Yamaha powered these things without a problem and they really opened up to what they could do. With my receiver I can also adjust the treble and bass for HP, a handy feature.
If its not to late take em back! If so maybe you can find a good Yamaha receiver like mine to help improve em.

markw
12-25-2004, 06:56 AM
Dunno what that means bit it seems to imply that they are adequate in other recordings. ...or is this in reference to some ofthe DSP modes on the receiver? In the case ofthe latter, that's more a function ofthe receiver as opposed to the headphones.

If you're talking about "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo", that's a natural difference. That sucka reverberates through the room, travels through the structure and rumbles walls and floors with speakers while with phones you loose all room interactions. The room makes the bass with this one.

One thing to keep in mind is that "headphone" bass is different from "loudspeaker" bass in htat it's not the viscreal feeling you get when your body "feels" the bass. With 'phones it's all transmitted through the ear canal.

Those 'phones more than hold their own with anything in their price range.

Merry Xmas ;)

LeftofCool
12-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks, they already seem to be opening up, actually. I hooked them up to my iPod today and they sound great. I think the iPod supports it better than my walkman.

JamezHill
12-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I never cared for the bass in my Sr-80s. I ended up selling them and getting Senn 595s and have been in love ever since. :)

N. Abstentia
12-25-2004, 08:43 PM
I very much preferred the Senn's also :)

I didn't like Grado phones at all.

hifitommy
12-25-2004, 09:15 PM
i dont listen via phones that much. what i WILL share with you is that electrostatic phones do wonders with bass. we cant all afford stax phones so the choices are limited these days in that regard. i once heard some supex ES phones that were to die for in the lows at reasonable prices-back in the 70s. supex disappeared from the marketplace at about ''79.

i will suppose headroom products can enhance headphones in a profound way but i havent tried them.

vr6ofpain
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I very much preferred the Senn's also :)

I didn't like Grado phones at all.

I completely disagree. I love both my SR-80's and my friends RS-1's. They sound awesome. It must be a preference thing. I think they both sound more alive than my brothers HD-600's hooked up to an Antique Sound Labs Tube headphone amp(compared to my SR-80's hooked up to the same amp, as a control). I also think the SR-80's destroy the HD-590's.

HD-590 = super bright
HD-600 = dull, canned, but smooth

SR-80 = good compromise between brightness and smoothness, insane value.

RS-1 = SR-80, but much better, very interesting sound...almost speaker like presentation...though with headphone detail, oh and complete and total lack of value(way too expensive) :)

JamezHill
12-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Aside from sonic quality, the build quality of almost all Grado headphones are absolute crap. When my SR-80's came I thought it was a prototype of some sort. That or something left in a WWII Bomber that the pilots used. The incredibly cheap plastic molds, the foam around the ear, the plastic (instead of leather) band on the top. Granted, for it's sonic qualities, it may be a good deal, and I understand a lot of people like them, but as far as build quality? They're worse than anything I've seen in a while.

vr6ofpain
12-29-2004, 04:17 PM
you obviously are more impressed with "shiny plastics" and hype. I think the Grado's are built very nicely. The fact that they can be put in a flat position is very useful. Also I do not see any problem with the vinyl headband considering the headphones were $80 new....it doesnt affect the sound man. They sound superior....end of story(well for my ears). Something else not mentioned is bulk. Yes the Senn's(HD-600) have softer padding, but they weight more. When listening to them, you KNOW there is something resting and clamping down on your head. With my SR-80's, they lightweight, and lack of pressure on the ears pays off over long listening sessions. Their detail is unbelieveable. Honestly the Senn's sound quite blan in my opinion. Clean but kinda restrained. My SR-80's sound like well...good music.

JamezHill
12-29-2004, 11:15 PM
The SR-80s build quality *is* inferior. I'm not impressed with "shiny plastics" and hype, but as far as a quality product, I would go with the Sennheisers. Again, I understand a lot of people like them, but they just aren't for me. As far as audio quality, the SR-80s are nice, but I feel they lack in the lower end. It is just a matter of personal preference. I also don't find that cheap foam Grado uses to be comfortable at all. I find it too rigid and stiff. The SR-80s ARE light though. They should be, they're made like crap out of cheap materials. (again, just my opinion.)