Just bought a home theater....problems wit hvolume....help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a home theater....problems wit hvolume....help!

Walterdude
12-24-2004, 12:56 PM
I just bought a Pioneer Elite amp and a set of Sony 650H floor speakers....took awhile to set up but now the volume (in the front speakers, and the only speakers) goes up and down for no reason...can someone help me.
Thnx...

hershon
12-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Maybe your wires are loose. Plug your headphones in and see if you have the same problem if not, then I'd guess its something involving the wiring, dude.

I just bought a Pioneer Elite amp and a set of Sony 650H floor speakers....took awhile to set up but now the volume (in the front speakers, and the only speakers) goes up and down for no reason...can someone help me.
Thnx...

Walterdude
12-24-2004, 03:09 PM
The funny thing is that this voice problem happens only when i play CD's in my DVD player. When TV is on there is no problem...duno...

brulaha
12-24-2004, 03:43 PM
How is your DVD connected? Are you using a Digital connection for Audio? Do you have the analog connection connected as well? Do you have it running into your VCR?

hershon
12-24-2004, 03:46 PM
The easiest thing to do is if you live in a City to look in the Yello places for some hi end type stereo dealer & ask them (if its not listed int he Yello Page ad) if they install home systems. I t'll cost you about $75 for them to do everything for about 90 minutes,

woodman
12-25-2004, 11:06 PM
The funny thing is that this voice problem happens only when i play CD's in my DVD player. When TV is on there is no problem...duno...

Hey dude:
There's a big, fat clue staring right at you. The fact that another signal source does not exhibit the same problem, immediately clears the problem as not originating with your wiring or your amplifier or your speakers.

The first logical step in isolating the problem, would be to swap the interconnects at the reciver that feed the TV sound (wherever that comes from) with the connections that feed the sound from the DVD player. You may need to list specifically - and in detail - just how you have everything wired so that I or someone else here will be able to help you.

Whatever you do however, do not follow hershon's suggestion to call upon some high-end A/V dealer that you looked up in the Yellow Pages to come to your home for professional hookup help. You could very well live to regret that move ... there are lots of unscrupulous charlatans out there, just waiting to pounce on poor suckers. Don't become a victim of one of them. We're here to help you through this.

Walterdude
12-27-2004, 07:56 PM
I basically have 2 cables running from the TV to the reciever, those would be the audio cables(the're the Monster cables one has red markings other has black) i've connected the to the left and right terminals of my TV. The other cable is the Digital Coaxial cable that runs from the DVD towards the receiver, and im quite shure about the right connection(there is no other place to stick it)....and yet the noise still changes withought being registered by the reciever only when i'm listening to CD's of any format on my DVD player...still need help...
Woodman help...

hershon
12-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Again, just pay $60-$75 out of your pocket and have a technician from a high end stereo store come out and resetup your equipment.

I basically have 2 cables running from the TV to the reciever, those would be the audio cables(the're the Monster cables one has red markings other has black) i've connected the to the left and right terminals of my TV. The other cable is the Digital Coaxial cable that runs from the DVD towards the receiver, and im quite shure about the right connection(there is no other place to stick it)....and yet the noise still changes withought being registered by the reciever only when i'm listening to CD's of any format on my DVD player...still need help...
Woodman help...

woodman
12-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Woodman help...

Your hookup details seem to indicate that you're using two different types of interconnect ... an analog connection (that's the red and black ended cables) from the TV set to the receiver for TV sound, and a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver for the sound of DVDs and CDs. This of course eliminates the possibility of swapping those two as I suggested to you since they are not of the same type.

If there is only one cable supplying audio signals to the receiver from the DVD player, do you have any problem with the sound from DVDs? Or only from playing CDs on that player?

Try hooking up another analog cable (like the one from the TV set to the receiver) from the 2-channel analog output terminals on the DVD player into any available input on the receiver - there should be one marked for CD player use. If this fails to solve the problem, you either have a defect in the DVD player, or there's some menu selection to be made in the receiver that is not correct. Are both the reciever and the DVD player new units? You need to be more explicit in revealing details about your system and the way it's hooked up for more help to be forthcoming.

Walterdude
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
To Woodman:
Im looking at the receiver's guide which i used as a reference point to setting up the system. Ive connected my dig.coaxila cable to coaxila jack in the receiver to the DVD/LD jack in the receiver. The problem is that during the viewing of the movies no change in sound occurs(movies sound awsome), but when i play a CD in the receiver the noise goes up down on its own accord. Could it be the problem with my DVD player? My DVD player is a Philips726 with Pal capabilities...plz help

woodman
12-29-2004, 09:48 PM
To Woodman:
Im looking at the receiver's guide which i used as a reference point to setting up the system. Ive connected my dig.coaxila cable to coaxila jack in the receiver to the DVD/LD jack in the receiver. The problem is that during the viewing of the movies no change in sound occurs(movies sound awsome), but when i play a CD in the receiver the noise goes up down on its own accord. Could it be the problem with my DVD player? My DVD player is a Philips726 with Pal capabilities...plz help

I'm trying to help you Walterdude - but you need to try the things I'm suggesting to you so that we can solve your problem. You need to try an analog hookup between the DVD player and the receiver (just like the one that goes from the TV set to the receiver). If you don't have another one of those on hand, use the one from the TV set temporarily. Connect it to the 2-channel analog output jacks on the DVD player to the "CD" input jacks on the receiver. You might also need to tell the DVD player that you've made this connection for CD playback ... you'll have to check the manual for the player about this.

If when you've done this, you're getting the same exact result, then yes - I'd say that there's a problem of some sort with the DVD player. If it's new, get it replaced. If it's not new, chuck it overboard and buy a replacement ... preferably not a Philips brand unit.

jeskibuff
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure your problem is with your surround processor settings. You say you only have 2 speakers, and that's the BIGGEST clue. Most likely when you play your TV the setup is good, channelling a stereo signal to each of your 2 front speakers. However when you play the DVD, your receiver is improperly setup to believe that you have more than just the 2 front speakers. When the sound is "pulsating", it's just the effect of channelling portions of the surround signal to speakers that don't exist. Set your DVD/CD setting on your receiver to "2-channel" and it should fix the problem. Also, when playing a DVD you'll do best to select a 2-channel soundtrack (Dolby 2.0 or similar) if available.

recoveryone
01-07-2005, 08:46 AM
My 2 cents, I would go with woodman input, but first lets look at the sources. older CD were made to different specs than newer ones today(newer one have bass tracks for sub's, you can thank Hip Hop for that) CD's normally don't sound very good in surround mode (never use center speaker) can sound nice in a few DSP's (hall mode). So here my 2 cents, play your movies in DD/DTS/PL and play you CD's in stereo

Walterdude
01-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I was wondering is it possible to play THX sound from only two speakers...?
And another question: Is a sub a nessesity or can u live withou it...?
OK one more: Choosing an input signal there are Auto, Digital and Analog...which one should i choose?

recoveryone
01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
First of all THX is not a sound field like DD/DTS/PL. THX is just a reference standard set up by Lucas Inc. Some DVD's and audio/HT gear don't have the reference on them (dosen't mean they are of lesser quality) its just a standard by Lucas Inc. And to your next question, If at all possible go with Digital connection. That can be Toslink or Coax, most of the newer gear has one or both type. Even for CD's, having a Digital output gives the sound a cleaner and crisp feel. hook up both analog and digital and switch back and forth and hear it for yourself. And if your question is about your Amp setting I would choose Auto. Now for the sub, It depends on what other type of speakers you are using. If you have Large (Floor Standing) speakers in the front I would say no, but if you are using bookshelf size or SAT's speakers YES a sub would do wonders to the sound. Again just my 2 cents

Walterdude
01-17-2005, 03:04 PM
To: Woodman...or anyone that can help...
I switched the connection from Digital Coax to Analog....(from DVD to Amp) yet the problem still exists...before returning my DVD player do u think that it could be one of the reciever setting that does that...cause i checked the DVD setting and they didn't help...
The only thing im using as a definite setting is Surround back on my reciever....?
I finally ran out of ideas and settings to chek through....
Help....

jeskibuff
01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
The only thing im using as a definite setting is Surround back on my reciever....?And as I said earlier, if you only have 2 speakers and you're using a surround mode, you're going to get PRECISELY the problem that you're complaining about. Switch from surround mode to 2-channel and your problem will magically disappear. :rolleyes:

Silver Fox
01-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I agree with Jeskibuff,
When playing CD in a dvd player you must set the dvd player to 2 Channel and your
receiver to Stero Mode.It should play just fine being you said the system sounds great
while playing anything else,,,

Silver Fox

mustang
01-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like you have a TV with a built-in DVD player. Perhaps your TV has some type of automatic volume limiter(to avoid blairing commercials). While watching DVDs the receiver would be decoding the digital track of the DVD. But when playing CDs your player may default to the analog output. Definitely check all your (menu) settings first. Does not sound like a connection problem to me.

Walterdude
01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I tried to set my Amp to stereo...but the problem lingers...
My amp has the ability to play Direct or Stereo modes....so i tried both still didn't work...
I also changed the wireing...set the DVD player as a CD player...still didn't work...
Maybe its time for my DVD to drop....

Silver Fox
01-19-2005, 10:51 PM
I got a idea for ya,
Did you know that a sony playstation 2 will play dvd cd and dtsdvd on it??
Thought maybe instead of buying a new dvd player you can use the sony
playstation 2 to play your cd with. after all if its your cd you can't play on your
present dvd player and you dont want to buy a new one, and you or your children
assuming you have children have a playstation 2, well why not.
My wife does all the time and its a lot easier to do rather than change your
dvd format all the time, well it's just a thought.

Silver Fox

jeskibuff
01-20-2005, 04:41 AM
I tried to set my Amp to stereo...but the problem lingers...
My amp has the ability to play Direct or Stereo modes....so i tried both still didn't work...
I also changed the wireing...set the DVD player as a CD player...still didn't work...
Maybe its time for my DVD to drop....Without knowing how your Pioneer works, it's hard for me to tell if you set things up properly. What's the model number? Maybe someone with the same unit can help out better.

Here's my last-ditch effort to help you out:
Provide more detail on your equipment. Include model numbers. So far, we know you have a Pioneer Elite model ?????.

You have ONE pair of Sony 650H speakers.
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/100X100/00/01/3d/04/7f/20776063.JPG
You have NO center channel, NO surrounds and NO subwoofer.

You have a TV and a DVD player. One person wonders if it's a TV with a built-in DVD player, but you said the DVD is a Phillips 726 and that looks like a standalone unit to me:
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/3d/86/13/20809235.JPG

You have an analog (RCA) interconnect and a coaxial interconnect. The analog goes from the TV to the Pioneer. The digital goes from the DVD player to the receiver.

Since your DVD player works fine with movies, I'd say that it should play CDs with ABSOLUTELY no problem. Therefore, I'm still sure it's a problem with your settings. Check your DVD setup menu. If you play a movie and it sounds great, yet you have only 2 speakers, it sounds like your DVD player is mixing the 5.1 signal down to 2 channels, otherwise listening to true 5.1 WITHOUT surrounds or a center would sound terrible.

After checking your DVD setup, also check the setup of your Pioneer. You should have it set to NO surrounds, NO center channel and NO subwoofer.

If all that looks good, disconnect your analog connection going from the Pioneer to the TV and also your digital connection from the DVD to the Pioneer. Then connect the ANALOG outputs from the DVD player (using the cable previously hooked to the TV) to the FRONT speaker 5.1 inputs to your Pioneer. The other four 5.1 input jacks will be unused. When you select your 5.1 source in the Pioneer, there should be NO signal routing to worry about (hopefully). Therefore, playing a stereo CD should send a left channel and a right channel signal to your Pioneer and those should be amplified and sent DIRECTLY to your only 2 front speakers.

Then let us know what happens.

Walterdude
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok so i found out that my settings were Subwoofer ON( so i changed to NO sub.)
And magically the sound doesn't go up and down anymore...but...and this is fked my DVD player can play WMA CD's with no problem(not like before) but it still does the "funky volume thing" with MP3 CD's...
I tried a store bought MP3 CD and it didn't even produce noise...i put one of mine burned MP3(CDR's) in and it worked but it vith volume problems...
I cheked the manual and it states that DVD should be able to play MP3 no problem...so im thinking return the DVD or do u think something might be wrong...again?