More info given as per your request!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More info given as per your request!!!

perla4u
12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot guys. This place Rocks. I didnt expect so many would visit this thread. Am gald that I posted my questions here. Thanks for all those who posted replies. I really appreciate your input.

I actually forgot to mention the budget when I was typing the previous one. Am looking around $2 grand to spend for the whole setup (This includes Speakers+receiver+cables etc). I would like to know what options I have.

As mentioned earlier, I am more into movies but my wife likes music. So its ore like 70/30 comapred to 80/20 movies/music.

One more question is that b/w these two which one would be a better option if space is not the main concern...
This is an example...(goes with any bookshelf vs floor standing)

Bookshelf: B&W 602 s3 (600/pair + speaker stands)
floor stand: B&W 603 s3 (1000/pair)

If u observe the price diff its $400 but again I need to buy stands (200+ per pair). So its actually 200 or less difference b/w bookshelfs vs floor stands. Does it makes sense to go for floor stands? Would there be a lot of difference b/w sound quality?

Please drop your opinion here.

Thanks

markw
12-17-2003, 08:21 AM
Here’s a thought for you. Athena Speakers. IMNSHOP, you will have to spend considerably more to get better sound. They are available through Audio Advisor over the web or locally at Best Buy.

Here’s their web site: http://www.athenaspeakers.com

I’m using a pair of their AS-F1 floorstanders, a AS-C1 center and a pair of AS-B2’s for my surrounds.

Here’s link to a review of a system very similar to mine, except that they are using the smaller AS-B1s for a surround : http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

Replacing the B1s with my B2’s would bump up the price by $80 but if it comes down to it, I would be satisfied with the B1s. I bought the B2s first to use as secondary speakers but was so impressed, I went ahead and added the others speakers later. Had I the opportunity to do it overagain, I probably would have gone with the B-1myself.

Please note that this review is for a system WITHOUT a subwoofer. This can be added at any time in the future. As great a value as their speakers are, I believe their subs can be improved upon. I opted to use a Velodyne subwoofer, which I already owned (yes, I’m cheap!), but there are more modern subs out there that are most certainly worth a listen. Two companies that use three initials spring to mind.

When I bought the B2’s, I did compare these in home to more than a half dozen speakers by the more popular brands and models within the price range and came to the conclusion that these were what I wanted in my home over the long run.

All this being driven by a Denon 2802, purchased from 6th Avenue on closeout for an unbelievable price.

As far as receivers go, you can save a few bucks if you opt for a closeout of last year’s model. The enhancements from year to year are small and the truth of the matter is that even if you go for the latest and greatest, it will be “obsloete” within a few months anyway. So, you’ll be in the same boat only, except that you’ll pay a premium for those bragging rights.

Where we live, 6th Avenue has B&M stores that have, on occasion, tremendous sales that are not available over the net. You don’t even want to know what I paid for the $800 list Denon 2802 in April this year.

As far as cables go, don't get hung up on the technobabble. Good, solid interconnects don't cost an arm and a leg and 12 gauge speaker wire is fine. I follow these guidelines myself.

This, with about $800 spent on speakers, this should leave you a little wiggle room on getting pretty much receiver as you want and perhaps a pretty good sub to boot.

Enjoy...

thepogue
12-17-2003, 08:41 AM
our brudda TinHere got some great "poppage" from this site...go to the speakers forum and check it out...he knows his stuff when it come to these products...also I've been to his castle and heard the set up wiff me own two ears...very nice indeed...and a steal at these prices!! good luck!!
http://www.av123.com/index.php

TinHere
12-17-2003, 11:39 AM
our brudda TinHere got some great "poppage from this site...go to the speakers forum and check it out...he knows his ctuff when it come to these products...also I've been to his castle and hear the set up wiff me own two ears...very nice indeed...and a steal at these prices!! good luck!!
http://www.av123.com/index.php

Thanks Poguester,

But if my home is a castle, I do have to question your credibility. ;)

If people who bought from AV123 were still around here, I certainly wouldn't the lone voice extolling them. What Pogue heard were a pair with the beta crossover [pre Classic... which they replaced them with at no charge when I posted Pogue's comments and they realized a "wrong" pair got out the door]. In relationship to price/performance vs B&W, Rocket owner's are very satisfied customers. Some liked the Rocket sound more, some felt that given the price differences the Rocket's were the way to go, and some chose B&W. Speakers are very subjective. My feeling is that for those who haven't developed exacting preferences [and for many that have], the factory direct companies will satisfy most buyers and deliver better value. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It's not about sharing disappointment, but a most satisfing alternative that keeps me smiling.

The key to AV123's success besides great value, is customer service that is well documented on other forums. As an example, some people thought that the Classic 750's were a little rolled off on the top end and still bought them because of overall performance. In answer to that they offer a modification and now all the new ones come with the Signature mod which adds 1 to 1.5 db to the treble. Owner's of the Classic 750's are able to get the mod for $200 which includes the cost of shipping the towers both ways. I haven't chosen to get it yet. This only relates to the 750's, but serves to show the extent that they will go to please their customers.

thepogue
12-17-2003, 02:17 PM
what center did i hear at your place? that center they have on sale seems to be a steal @ 175....i wonder how much shipping would be? any thoughts?

TinHere
12-17-2003, 06:38 PM
what center did i hear at your place? that center they have on sale seems to be a steal @ 175....i wonder how much shipping would be? any thoughts?

Short answer...Grab it, I did and got 4 of the 150's also at half price.

I have the RSC200 aka BigFoot. I haven't heard the 100 yet.

From the site:

RSC200....3-way System • Rear vented enclosure • Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, custom 4" midrange, (2) custom 6.5" long-throw aluminum cone woofers • 50 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB) • 12" H x 10.5" D x 25" W • 46 lbs each $599

RSC100....2-way System • Rear vented enclosure • Custom 1" aluminum dome tweeter, two custom 5.25" long-throw aluminum cone woofers • 60 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB) • 8" H x 8.5" D x 20.25" W • 25 lbs each $349

The RSC 200 is a very special speaker that some call the strongest in the line and has the Vifa tweeter. The RSC100 doesn't get the glaring raves that the 200 does. It will sound great for $349 compared to many others, and at $175 you really can't go wrong unless it conflicts with the rest of the system. Tell them what you will do with it. You can call them with any questions you might have. They are low pressure, knowledgeable, and very patient. If they don't think it will work for you they will say so and maybe even steer you to what will [but not at these prices :)] They don't make money on shipping. Tell them it was you who identified the problem with my 750's....Bet they'll remember.

Lemme know what ya do. You can always post there too, and talk to non AV123 people [ok maybe biased but happy] who know a lot more than I do.