Grado Sr 80 or Koss Pro4aa [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Sr 80 or Koss Pro4aa

Manimal
12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey, I've been a been coming here on and off for a few years now and was a member of the older board, but never got around to registering when it changed formats. Anyways..

Being 17 years old and low on cash I cant really get a decent set of speakers. I'm really interested in getting a nice set of headphones. When i mentioned it to my dad he told me about the Koss Pro 4aa's. He said he had them back in the early 80's and said they were one of the best headphones for the money at the time. Well a trip to the Koss website and I found that they are still made today.

After reading alot about both headphones here is what Ive read about them..

Koss Pro 4aa's: They are bigger and heavier (not really a concern with me). They are fully enclosed and isolate sound. I've read reviews saying the bass is very strong and deep, and the highs and mids are clear. I've heard that the newer looking version isnt as good sounding as the older retro-like models.

Grado Sr 80: I've seen tons of reviewers saying that they are the best headphones you can get for under 100 dollars. Good all around sound. I've only read a few reviews that didnt say how in love with them they were. I've heard mixed reactions about the bass. Some saying it focuses more on the highs and mid;.

What do you guys think?

Thanks alot.

markw
12-22-2004, 03:59 PM
they have made tremendous improvements over the period of time the 4 series was developed.

vr6ofpain
12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
I have some Koss portaPro's. They sound great and I love them, but my SR-80's sound worlds better than the portaPro's. I would go with the Grado's. There is something special about the Grado sound. I swear it is a more speaker sounding presentation than any other headphone company I have heard(including Senns).

Kursun
12-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Many years ago, by the end of 70's i guess, I had Koss Pro4a or aa. I never liked them. To me they sounded abrasive, not clean and balanced. I sold them off in the end. I can't say they are good or bad. But they were not for me. Maybe the shape and volume of ear cups differ a lot. You see headphones are a highly personal matter.

BTW, with enclosed types, being fully isolated, not being able to hear the door bell is not very nice (especially when you are alone at home).

FLZapped
12-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey, I've been a been coming here on and off for a few years now and was a member of the older board, but never got around to registering when it changed formats. Anyways..

Being 17 years old and low on cash I cant really get a decent set of speakers. I'm really interested in getting a nice set of headphones. When i mentioned it to my dad he told me about the Koss Pro 4aa's. He said he had them back in the early 80's and said they were one of the best headphones for the money at the time. Well a trip to the Koss website and I found that they are still made today.

After reading alot about both headphones here is what Ive read about them..

Koss Pro 4aa's: They are bigger and heavier (not really a concern with me). They are fully enclosed and isolate sound. I've read reviews saying the bass is very strong and deep, and the highs and mids are clear. I've heard that the newer looking version isnt as good sounding as the older retro-like models.

Grado Sr 80: I've seen tons of reviewers saying that they are the best headphones you can get for under 100 dollars. Good all around sound. I've only read a few reviews that didnt say how in love with them they were. I've heard mixed reactions about the bass. Some saying it focuses more on the highs and mid;.

What do you guys think?

Thanks alot.

I have the Pro 4aa Titaniums.

I've spent many hours under them already, from just listening to editng/composing music.

-Bruce

Manimal
12-24-2004, 12:52 PM
What do you think of them?

markw
12-24-2004, 01:00 PM
I've got both a Pro 4a and the Grado 80's and, IMNSHO, the Grado's are the better of the two. but, then again, I prefer a fine vanilla ice cream above all others.

But, opinions differ and the only one who can make up your mind is you.

FLZapped
12-24-2004, 10:49 PM
What do you think of them?

I like them. I don't get fatigued by having them on nor do I get listening fatigue They do pretty good job of filling your head with sound while rejecting outside noises. I suppose the bass could be a little better, but overall, I think they sound pretty balanced - but what I like, someone else may find objectionable.

-Bruce

Manimal
12-25-2004, 06:25 PM
See, the thing is I don't know of a dealer in my area that sell the either set of cans. If that was the case I would deffinetly listen to both first and then decide. This is why I need to rely on the opinions of others :-/