Yet another Pioneer dv-578A failure [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Pioneer dv-578A failure

toenail
12-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Well, the second of these units has bitten the dust on me. This one lasted 5 weeks instead of 8 days. I started getting freeze-ups and distortion at random intervals. Despite the fact that I am past (just barely) the 30 day return window, Circuit City has offered to give me a refund since I'm no longer interested in this particular model. This is ONE of the reasons I give them my business over Best Buy.

Any thoughts on the Toshiba 4960? I'd like to stick with multi-channel hi-rez capability at the entry level.

kexodusc
12-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Yikes, that's really too bad. And surprising considering the 563A was so freakin' popular.

I've heard good things about the 4960, and Toshiba has a bit better product quality track record than Pioneers entry levelish stuff. There's a 3960 too, if memory serves that might be worth looking at.

Hope you make out better this time...I still have the collection jar for guinea pigging for us...let us know!

toenail
12-24-2004, 12:03 PM
That I'm aware of, the 3960 doesn't offer multichannel audio. Otherwise it is an attractive option. Even though I listen to predominately 2-channel stuff, it's nice to have the flexability of the remaining channels for those few discs that are actually mixed properly.

kexodusc
12-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Sorry, Toenail, the 4960 was the model I was thinking of.
I'm debating whether or not to look for a cheap, used 563A or take the plunge and buy a nicer Pioneer Elite, Denon, or Yamaha unit now. I have a feeling the bass management, level/delays featires, etc will all be figured in new models rather soon...but you know how that is, you can always wait for the next model with even more features to come out.

Geoffcin
12-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Sorry, Toenail, the 4960 was the model I was thinking of.
I'm debating whether or not to look for a cheap, used 563A or take the plunge and buy a nicer Pioneer Elite, Denon, or Yamaha unit now. I have a feeling the bass management, level/delays featires, etc will all be figured in new models rather soon...but you know how that is, you can always wait for the next model with even more features to come out.

The're not going to have the build quality of the higher units. The quality of the chassis & internals is part of what your paying for when you get a DVD player like a Pioneer Elite. The DV-45a was on my short list for a while. It was only when I got my JVC for a steal (part of a much larger purchase) that I decided not to go with the Pioneer.