Dsp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dsp

joel2762
12-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Wow. Just tried the DSP modes on my Sony. The Hall one is pretty cool, makes my room sound bigger and doesn't give that fake sound either. Sound like a reeal hall. Guess it's just a simple echo. It's kind of better to get something traveling to the rear channels than using the Pro Logic which sometimes gives a fake sound...It's cool how when I stop the song suddenly I hear the echo..Wouldn't want to have this running all the time but I must say it is a pretty cool feature to play around with!

kelsci
12-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Joel; my friend has a Sherwood 8090R. They have a Hall 1 and Hall 2 DSP on this receiver and the other models they made at that time. I have the 6095R. I use the Hall 1 in my room. It works "alright". Hall 2 is too echoey. DPL-1 for music is something I do not like on either Sherwood. Going back to my friends unit, this system is in a rather huge room. The rear speakers are some 15 feet in back of his sitting area. This was the first time I really got a Hall 1 setting to work quite great. His two channel CDs sounded great mainly because the room was good for the DSP. He was very surprised himself how well it worked. I told him that I played a hunch and the hunch turned out to be a HALL 1 bonanza for him and a surprise for me as well which told me more at least about a function of getting a DSP to work.

joel2762
12-17-2003, 03:02 AM
That's cool I guess these DSP modes do have a benifit somewhere. I was watching tv and flicked to DSP. This is not for tv, but for music it sounds great, gets a small bit annoying after a while but does sound very cool!

Keith from Canada
12-17-2003, 11:00 AM
You'll likely find that you grow tired of DSPs very quickly. They're fun to play around with and, when I had my Yamaha receiver (the crowned King of DSPs), I fooled around with them for quite a while. However, once I found 5 channel stereo, my DSP surfing days were done forever!

joel2762
12-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Ha yep. Sounds cool but i don't want to have it on when listening to regular music :P