Some great concert DVD's you'll want to see [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some great concert DVD's you'll want to see

Demetrio
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey, folks, sorry for the lack of news lately.

These are some great concert DVD's I purchased during the past two weeks:

- OZRIC TENTACLES "Live at the Pongmasters Ball" - For adventurous listeners who want to immerse into something really different. For those who don't know this band yet, think about great instrumental rock in the vein of Hawkwind most spacy stuff, with somewhat furious guitar work, western sounding flute & synthesizers, and bass & drums with hints of reggae. Be ready for a great trip...

- STEVE HACKETT "Once Above a Time" - Another awesome concert dvd. Technically far superior to "The Tokyo Tapes" (it's DTS encoded) and musically almost as great as that one.

- PROCOL HARUM "Live at the Union Chapel" - I was surprised to see how these guys still rock live!!! Easily one of the best I have seen these days, especially because of the audio & video quality that are top notch.

- LOS LOBOS "Live at the Fillmore" - I have become a Los Lobos fan after getting two cd's I really enjoyed: "Kiko" and "Good Morning Aztlán". And when I found this dvd the other day, I didn't think twice to buy it, and I am really glad I did. Another brilliant dvd that I recommend to anyone who enjoys good music.

- GOV'T MULE "The Deepest End: Live in Concert" - Awesome box set with 2-cd + 1 dvd. I like The Allman Bros a bit, but must say I like Gov't Mule more. Another must buy IMO.

Also received two other DVD's that I didn't have time to watch yet: KANSAS "Device Voice Drum" and BAD COMPANY "Merchants of Cool".

Cheers,
Demetrio.

DPM
12-21-2004, 02:47 PM
...have you gotten the Gentle Giant DVD, Giant On The Box? If not, and if you're a fan of the band, you want that disk. They're incredible.

Also, the Echolyn DVD, Stars and Gardens, is excellent also.

Both of these DVDs are expensive, but they are worth it.

DM

Demetrio
12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey, Dave, glad to hear from you!!!

I have that ECHOLYN dvd on my want list, can hardly wait to find it at some prog vendor here in Brazil.

I have read great comments about that Gentle Giant dvd as well, but given that I am not a huge fan of the band, I haven't been any curious to check it out yet. Maybe some time in the future.

I have already mentioned this before, but it's not too much to say it again and again, the FLOWER KINGS "Meet The Flower Kings" dvd is another GREAT one, really brilliant from start to end.

Also liked the TRANSATLANTIC "Live in Europe" dvd, even though I thought the image part was too focused on Neal Morse. It is very annoying, for example, to listen to a guitar solo from Roine Stolt while the camera keeps on Morse all the time... Apart from this problem, the dvd is awesome.

I saw the KANSAS dvd moments ago, and unfortunately the video quality is not any good. The audio quality is only okay. I'm somewhat disappointed with this one... :-(

Another one I didn't enjoy so much was NEAL MORSE "Testimony Live". I read very positive reviews about this dvd before buying it, but for me it is only okay.

Right now I am watching the "CONCERT FOR GEORGE" tribute dvd, and I am very impressed so far. The introdutory part of the dvd, with the Ravi Shankar orchestra (including the first part in which his daughter Anoushka plays a long piece on the sitar) is worth the dvd.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Finch Platte
12-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Did you find a good place online to get "Meet The Flower Kings"?

Thanks,

fp

Dave_G
12-21-2004, 06:27 PM
I'll burn ya a copy, Fritz.

For Christmas, from me to you.

No BS.

Dave

progfan
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
I have IQ's 20th Anniversary DVD on its way as well as Mostly Autumn's The V Shows, Steve Hackett's Once Above a Time and Marillion's Marbles on the Road. Any of you guys seen these?

progfan
12-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I almost forgot, though it's not prog, Queen's Live at the Bowl DVD is awesome. Great sound too!

Demetrio
12-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey, Progfan,

That Steve Hackett "Once Above a Time" dvd is comented above, on my first post. It's brilliant, you'll be glad you bought it.

I had that Mostly Autumn "V Shows" dvd in hands too, but it didn't grab me enough to keep it in my collection. I liked "The Stoty So Far" better.

IQ "20th Anniversary" and Marillion "Marbles on the Road" dvd's are just on the top of my want list.

Kind regards,
Demetrio.