phase on sub amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : phase on sub amp

jeffrodesiac
12-20-2004, 02:10 PM
i was curious to know what the pahse does on a subwoofer thanks

stuartlittle
12-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Generally speaking, it determines whether the cone in your sub is pushing when the cones in your speakers are pushing (0 phase) , or whether it is pulling when they are pushing (180 phase). I personally haven't heard too much difference in my room, but a friend has a system that sounds much better on 180, I think due to the acoustics of his room. Someone more informed than I am can explain what problems phase adjustments address.

jeffrodesiac
12-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Generally speaking, it determines whether the cone in your sub is pushing when the cones in your speakers (#) are pushing (0 phase) , or whether it is pulling when they are pushing (180 phase). I personally haven't heard too much difference in my room, but a friend has a system that sounds much better on 180, I think due to the acoustics of his room. Someone more informed than I am can explain what problems phase adjustments address.
yeah i have it on that thx

This Guy
12-23-2004, 04:17 PM
its not gonna be the same for every room. You're gonna have to play around with it cause none of us live in your room. For example I have to reverse the polarity of my passive sub whenever I move it to the end of the room (which is equivelant to flicking the switch on your active sub.) Do whatever sounds best.