Question Re: Yamaha receivers and fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Yamaha receivers and fans

kexodusc
12-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi all. My salesperson recently told me that Yamaha receivers do not and never, ever, had fans and rely on heat sinks only for cooling. Yet I could have sworn I heard a fan going inside it a few weeks back after a few hours of intense volume.
Can anyone confirm or deny that Yammies do have fans?

Woochifer
12-16-2003, 10:54 AM
That WAS true for a number of years. But, starting last year their midlevel and flagship receivers rearranged the power supply components while bumping up the power output, and now include a fan. Their previous receivers did not need to power seven and nine channels, and as such the newer models have a more crowded interior and less breathing room. Yamaha's entry level receivers still rely only on ambient cooling. If you have one and can't tell when it's on, then obviously it's not too intrusive.

kexodusc
12-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks Wooch, for confirming my suspicions. Since my first post, I went to Yamaha's website and downloaded my long-lost user manual for my 3 year old RX-V795a and the manual even mentions a fan. Now I know I'm not crazy. Except the 795a is 3 years old...maybe the fans have been out a bit longer than people think.
My personal philosophy is this. If your fan engages, your drawing lots of power (or your receiver is just too dangerously hot at low power outputs) and probably have enough volume to drown out any fan noise concerns.

Woochifer
12-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks Wooch, for confirming my suspicions. Since my first post, I went to Yamaha's website and downloaded my long-lost user manual for my 3 year old RX-V795a and the manual even mentions a fan. Now I know I'm not crazy. Except the 795a is 3 years old...maybe the fans have been out a bit longer than people think.
My personal philosophy is this. If your fan engages, your drawing lots of power (or your receiver is just too dangerously hot at low power outputs) and probably have enough volume to drown out any fan noise concerns.

The 795a did not have a fan, and neither did the two successive replacement models -- the 800 (which I own) and the 1200. Only starting with the 1300 did Yamaha begin installing fans in their midlevel receivers.

The other concern with fans is that it can potentially generate interference with some sensitive components like the digital circuitry and preamp switching. That's similar to a reason why some people are against receivers, because they feel that the tuner (AM especially) can generate interference.

kexodusc
12-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Okay wooch, I'm not disputing your vast knowledge, however if you download the 795 a manual and run a word search for fan you will easily see that the fan is mentioned. To top it off I've just duplicated the noise after about 45 minutes of very loud christmas music. Is it at all possible some 795 a's had a fan and some didn't?
I can assure my 795a does have a fan.

zapr
12-16-2003, 02:37 PM
I purchased a 795a three yrs ago and a week after traded for the 995. Both receivers have a fan. The fan is positioned on the transformer on the left side.The heat sink is in the middle.If you put you hand over the left side,it will not be as hot compared to the middle.This is the Best indication of a functioning fan.If you listen closely you can hear it come on as you turn up the volume.Once it comes on it's hardly audiable.

Woochifer
12-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Okay wooch, I'm not disputing your vast knowledge, however if you download the 795 a manual and run a word search for fan you will easily see that the fan is mentioned. To top it off I've just duplicated the noise after about 45 minutes of very loud christmas music. Is it at all possible some 795 a's had a fan and some didn't?
I can assure my 795a does have a fan.

Alrighty, I'll stand corrected! I don't remember seeing fans on those models, but I did not open those boxes up either.

kexodusc
12-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Wooch has earned the right to be incorrect from time to time...just don't make it a habit :)