Sunfire Signature Sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sunfire Signature Sub?

meephis
12-20-2004, 11:07 AM
I have been considering many different subwoofers(if you check for other threads by me you already know this) and am now considering Sunfire sub, it seemed to sound better this time i listened to it, last time i think it was set up improperly. I really like the output but am concerned about the "walking" issue. The output was fantastic but it was walking across the floor. I have heard that some people say they got feet and others that say they don't. What's the deal?

Lord_Magnepan
12-20-2004, 11:45 AM
I would always add ft to subwoofers to seperate them a bit from the floor. Houses in America are basically wooden houses, inlc the floor. If you like it, then buy one and just add spikes or rubber feet. Have you looked into the Velodyne HGS or DD Series?

Easy E
12-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Well personally I dont like the sunfire subs, they seem to be a bit overrated to me. After finding all the detail and info on them and the dirt, just doesnt apeal to me.

meephis
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Velodyne was my first choice but there are no dealers anywhere near me and I am gonna finance the system for 18 months, so I can't do it online. The first time I listened to the Sunfire it sounded like crap (REALLY slow & sloppy) the second time the dealer actually set it up correctly and it was fantastic. So I am now considering one, although not completely sold yet.

midfiguy
12-21-2004, 06:30 AM
May I suggest looking to SVS and trying to find someone local who will let you listen. I've yet to hear anyone who has an SVS who has returned one or even said the bass was just OK. I'm sure anyone who has a subwoofer like that would be proud to show it off. It will cost you less than the Velodyne or Sunfire as well.

I have a Velodyne HGS-12 which is fantastic, but I have a feeling an SVS at 1/2-2/3 the cost would destroy it, from what I've read. I'm just not willing to take the hit on selling the HGS to find out.

Lord_Magnepan
12-21-2004, 07:37 AM
The sunfire is a very good subwoofer, but is very critical to placment. I remember i heard one in Houston which was very nice. Personally i consider the SVS to be overrated. The digital series from Velodyne, i think is better in real life. Dont buy into paper specs ;-) I am not saying the SVS are bad, i just think the velodynes are better in real life.

Ask if you can hear the Sunfire in your house for a day.

-Flo

meephis
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Yes I think a trial is necessary but i don't think that a day would suffice as I wouldn't get to here it after break-in. It would be nice if I could try it for about a week.....hmmm... I think I'll check into their return policy again.

console
01-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Yes I think a trial is necessary but i don't think that a day would suffice as I wouldn't get to here it after break-in. It would be nice if I could try it for about a week.....hmmm... I think I'll check into their return policy again.

Testing picture