Can anyone recomend a stylus? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recomend a stylus?

johnb70
12-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I am considering getting a new stylus for my project turntable can anyone recomend one?

Jimmy C
12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
many different cart/table set-ups.

I have a Pro-Ject Perspective with a Grado Platinum and this combo can indeed make some music. A bit on the "warm" side, and not the most detailed presentation. What I like is the music isn't too thin or sterile... it works for me.

I'm not sure which table you have, or how much you want to spend. Grado does have a house sound, so whether you move up or down, there will be similarities.

I probably have close to 3000 on my cart... I should be in the market soon also! The Ortofons look interesting :^)

Just one idea...

ruadmaa
12-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Any of the Shure V15 type stylus are excellent. I believe they still make them.

johnb70
12-20-2004, 03:55 AM
Sorry jimmyc i didn't mention my turntable. I have the project debut 3 with an ortofon om 5 cartridge a budget turntable but quite impressive just wandering what would improve further on this budjet turntable i listen to a lot of vocal music would like to spend max of £80. Iv'e heard you'r turntable you mentioned is exellent what was the cost when you first bought it.

johnb70
12-20-2004, 03:58 AM
thanks ruadmaa for the advice i've heard that sure are good what turntable are you using and what cartridge.

Jimmy C
12-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Sorry jimmyc i didn't mention my turntable. I have the project debut 3 with an ortofon om 5 cartridge a budget turntable but quite impressive just wandering what would improve further on this budjet turntable i listen to a lot of vocal music would like to spend max of ?80. Iv'e heard you'r turntable you mentioned is exellent what was the cost when you first bought it.

...for their midrange, any should work well with vocal music. If you can squeeze the Gold in, I hear it's pretty close to the Platinum. I can't say for sure it'll be your favorite flavor, but I doubt you can go too wrong.

A friend of mine had a Gold on a 2.1, and it was way better than the stock Oyster.

My table was $1300 with the cart. I didn't get any breaks on pricing because my dealer set everything up for me. The table was $1K, but now selling in "Music Direct" for $3 or $400 more!

Good luck...

johnb70
12-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks very much for the recommendation i will enqiure at my dealer about the price and the stock. I will let you know what i decide on. Thanks ones again for the advice.

RGA
12-20-2004, 05:39 PM
My dealer likes Ortofon with Project - I heard the Debut 2 or 3 and was very impressed by that deck for the money - it costs less than the stoick version of my Rega 2 clone and I preferred the Project - but alas when I bought the NAD they were not carrying Project. The GOldring stock cart on the NAD was pretty terrible.

Woochifer
12-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Sorry jimmyc i didn't mention my turntable. I have the project debut 3 with an ortofon om 5 cartridge a budget turntable but quite impressive just wandering what would improve further on this budjet turntable i listen to a lot of vocal music would like to spend max of �80. Iv'e heard you'r turntable you mentioned is exellent what was the cost when you first bought it.

If you already have an Ortofon OM cartridge body, just get a 20 or 30 model replacement stylus. The OM series uses the same cartridge body for every model, and you upgrade by simply switching out the stylus. Installing the stylus takes less than a minute and swapping out the OM5 stylus with the 20 stylus is the exact same thing as buying a brand new OM20. You can upgrade all the way up to the OM40 just by upgradng the stylus. Your budget is right around what the 20 stylus costs in the U.S. (about $110).

I used an OM10 for several years, and when I replaced the 10 stylus with a 20 stylus, the step up in sound quality was very noticeable. I swapped out my OM cartridge body a couple of years ago and still regret it.

Woochifer
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Any of the Shure V15 type stylus are excellent. I believe they still make them.

Very well regarded, but they also cost around $300 and word is that its days are numbered. A couple of websites I've checked indicate that availability is limited on the V15. The poster's budget is about half that.