News from the trenches [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : News from the trenches

woodman
12-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Sources within the industry tell me that H-P (Hewlett-Packard) is getting revved up to launch an all-out assault on the home entertainment sector of the C-E industry. Details of their plans are not being revealed, but I assume that they're going to present an all-inclusive line of products from DTV displays to A/V receivers, DVD players, Video recording devices - either hard drive based or DVD based or both?, etc.

Perhaps they'll be ready to show some somethings at the upcoming CES show, which is only a couple of weeks away.

markw
12-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Let's hope that they kick up their customer service if this is the case. The CS on their computers is several levels below average but, in this day and age of diminishing quality in this area, that seems to be the new standard.

eqm
12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Sources within the industry tell me that H-P (Hewlett-Packard) is getting revved up to launch an all-out assault on the home entertainment sector of the C-E industry. Details of their plans are not being revealed, but I assume that they're going to present an all-inclusive line of products from DTV displays to A/V receivers, DVD players, Video recording devices - either hard drive based or DVD based or both?, etc.

Perhaps they'll be ready to show some somethings at the upcoming CES show, which is only a couple of weeks away.

Hopefully it's like the Epson and Intel products that they were convinced would "shock the world" but only did so with the quietness of their "thud". Why anyone would get into the DTV sector when even some of the big bows are leaving product lines behind (i.e. Pioneer Elite and Mits no longer making CRT RPTVs, Philips and Toshiba abandoning LCoS, etc...) is beyond me. Smart money says this line will barely (if ever) see the light of day. Have fun shopping in the HP stores (which can go snugly into the closed Gateway stores!)!

ghost_03
12-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Perhaps the recent 23" HP LCD monitor and the iPod from HP foreshadow this move?

I know HP was looking to expand wildly, so this makes sense.

Mr Peabody
12-27-2004, 10:09 AM
In terms of HP I think they should get what they are already doing right before taking on something else. But maybe this will over extend them and they will go away. After the experience my friends and family have had with their junk and lack of service I wouldn't touch their products and recommend them to be avoided.

ghost_03
12-27-2004, 11:35 PM
In terms of HP I think they should get what they are already doing right before taking on something else. But maybe this will over extend them and they will go away. After the experience my friends and family have had with their junk and lack of service I wouldn't touch their products and recommend them to be avoided.

HP really only does printing atm. it's like 98% of their profit and about 30% or so of their company, do stockholders dont want them focusing on the rest. expansion is an attempt to surge past this dilema.