Sunday, Black Sunday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sunday, Black Sunday

Davey
12-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Not black for you, just for me. The dreaded half century mark. The big five oh...no. Yeah, say it ain't so, Louise. Hey, anybody else here that far over the hill yet? Ughhh, maybe I'll just get drunk tonight and sleep until Monday. Any thoughts on music to celebrate the big day?

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

Slosh
12-18-2004, 12:49 PM
"Ready To Die" - The Unicorns

or perhaps

"The End" - The Doors

Aren't you glad you asked? :p

Swish
12-18-2004, 01:12 PM
yet you manage to remain such a cool and hip SOB. ;)

As far as music is concerned, I would just stick to the blues.

Swish

Davey
12-18-2004, 03:41 PM
"The End" - The Doors

Aren't you glad you asked? :p
Yeah, that is kind of depressing. Thanks.....buddy? That was a pretty effective use of rock music in film when Francis Ford Coppola used The Doors' performance of "The End" in Apocalypse Now. Makes me all creepy inside just thinking about it.

Maybe I'll go with Modest Mouse and "Bury Me With It", ya know, because, I just don't need none of that Mad Max bulls</>hit :)

And just a reminder, presents are welcome!

PS: What do you guys think about Hefeweizen beer? I've never been a huge fan, but picked up some Pyramid this weekend and it tastes pretty good. Kind of light for a wheat ale, but also has a lot of sparkle which is sometimes missing from others. Just a hair too much sparkle and not quite enough flavor to elevate it to the upper class, but on sale for under $10 per 12-pack at the local Albertson's supermarket is OK by me. I'd prefer a nice pale ale or pilsner, but wouldn't toss a Pyramid out of bed either.

Davey
12-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Holy Crap are you an old coot...yet you manage to remain such a cool and hip SOB. ;)
What is a "coot", anyway? Whatever it is, I probably am one. And obviously cool. Like you, Swish Baby :cool:

Worf101
12-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Nah, man... you must RAGE against the dying of the light. I intend to go down fighting, bitin', scratching and screamin. I want to shoot every bullet I got then throw the pistol.

1. "You're Still a Young Man" - Tower of Power

2. "Fight The Power" - Public Enemy

3. "Pappa's Gotta Brand New Bag" - James Brown.

But if you MUST be depressed...

"Hey 19" - Steeley Dan

Hope this helps.... your brother in decrepidity...

Da Worfster :D

Troy
12-19-2004, 09:26 AM
"That Big Five-Oh" by Stan Ridgway offa "Snakebite".

About turning 50, but using highway numbers as metaphor.

Wheat beer is disgusting. It ceases to be beer.

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Too Old to Rock'n'Roll, Too Young to Die - Jethro Tull

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/images/50/56-OH3.jpg

J/K...don't think of it as the glass is half empty, think of it as half full. Okay, maybe half is a bad idea, because you really don't know when you're going to die. But the analogy still holds -- don't think of your life past as being over, think of it as good memories and experiences that other people don't have.

Besides, you probably don't remember that much of it anyways.

Okay, I'm digging myself into a hole, I'll stop now.

Alright, here ya go: it could be worse, you could be me.

Happy birthday! How much longer are you going to be at that current address?

Davey
12-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Alright, here ya go: it could be worse, you could be me.

Happy birthday! How much longer are you going to be at that current address?
Hehehe, thanks....I guess :)

Not sure about the address. I'll let you know. Hey, have you ever heard of the Danish band Under Byen? One of the members named Henriette Sennenvaldt sings with Vic Chesnutt on the last Giant Sand album and on Howe Gelb's solo stuff. Very cool and sexy sounding so I looked her up and found this info below that I've had bookmarked for awhile and was just reading it again this morning, having forgot about it since it didn't appear their albums were easily obtained here. But it does sound like something it might be worth checking out.

"When I saw this remarkable eight-piece group from Arhus, Denmark, I was left speaking in tongues. With an eccentric armory of strings and keys (violin, cello, Wurlitzer organ, melodica), fronted by the haunted whoops and whispers of vocalist Henriette Sennenveldt, Under Byen make a beguiling dance music of pillowy beats and voluptuous shadows, with finely blurred echoes of British trip-hop, Bjork's elfin romanticism and the ice-floe rock of Sīgur Ros. This will be a hard record to find. But real treasure never comes easy." - Senior editor David Fricke in Rolling Stone, 2002.

http://www.rosa2.dk/profiler/underbyen.htm

http://f.lemm.free.fr/pics/haldern/under_byen_3.jpg

Jim Clark
12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Happy Birthday brother Davey! It's not all that bad is it? My wife will turn 50 Tuesday and she's not really all that wild about it either-go figure.

I hope your gifts are better than what Susan is getting!

jc

Swish
12-19-2004, 02:07 PM
What is a "coot", anyway? Whatever it is, I probably am one. And obviously cool. Like you, Swish Baby :cool:

a coot is some sort of aquatic bird. I guess that means that I just called you an old bird, but that's not so bad, is it? I've been called worse, and that's just by my kids.

Hey, I hope your birthday went well and that you drank just enough so you don't feel bad when you wake up.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey, have you ever heard of the Danish band Under Byen? ...But it does sound like something it might be worth checking out.No.
"When I saw this remarkable eight-piece group from Arhus, Denmark, I was left speaking in tongues. With an eccentric armory of strings and keys (violin, cello, Wurlitzer organ, melodica), fronted by the haunted whoops and whispers of vocalist Henriette Sennenveldt, Under Byen make a beguiling dance music of pillowy beats and voluptuous shadows, with finely blurred echoes of British trip-hop, Bjork's elfin romanticism and the ice-floe rock of Sīgur Ros. This will be a hard record to find. But real treasure never comes easy." - Senior editor David Fricke in Rolling Stone, 2002.You had me at eccentric. You lost me at 'Rolling Stone'.

No, seriously, that does sound cool (I like the '...pillowy beats and volutuous shadows...' line), will have to check it out.

Davey
12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
No.You had me at eccentric. You lost me at 'Rolling Stone'.

No, seriously, that does sound cool (I like the '...pillowy beats and volutuous shadows...' line), will have to check it out.
Yea, good luck. I tried to find some free downloads but pickings are kinda slim and they aren't even listed at most US sites like amazon and AMG. Birthday music is turning out to mostly be T. Rex Electric Warrior....

Beneath the bebop moon
I want to croon - with you
Beneath the Mambo Sun
I got to be the one - with you.

Girl, you're good
And I've got wild knees - for you
On a mountain range
I'm Dr. Strange - for you.

Beneath the bebop moon
I'm howling like a loon - for you.
Beneath the mambo sun
I've got to be the one - for you.

:)

tentoze
12-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Happy Birthday, brodie. Take some consolation in the knowledge that in 10 days, I'll still have 3 yrs on you.

Play Lather.

KEXPMF
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Happy Birthday brother Davey! It's not all that bad is it? My wife will turn 50 Tuesday and she's not really all that wild about it either-go figure.

I hope your gifts are better than what Susan is getting!

jc

Hi Jim
Tell Susan HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! And, what's she complainin' about?? She looks about 30!! If I look like that when I turn 50, I'll be super happy!! :)

tibor nagy
12-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Oh you young ones don't even know old. Think of it like this, all those Arizona golf courses offer discounts to seniors (especially if they're accompnaied by pretty senioritas, ha ha ha) so take up golf and enjoy your new status. Goodwill has 10% off Tuesdays for seniors so you can buy some faded open collar button up shirts and go hang with the old bag ladies too. That sounds rather depressing tho. Irregardless, have a hoppy birfday and welcome to the club!!.

Ex Lion Tamer
12-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Happy B'day Davey. Sorry I wasn't around yesterday to suggest a little music to soften the blow.

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Happy Birthday Davey!!!!

nobody
12-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Happy Birthday old man.

Thanks for making me feel young.

Stone
12-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Happy Birthday.

I took in my 35th a few days ago. I try my best just to treat it like any other day anymore.

So what'd you listen to besides T. Rex?

mad rhetorik
12-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Happy B-day Davey!

As far as depressing music for ruminating on one's fiftieth, may I reccommend Joy Division's "Novelty?" Or how 'bout some Tom Waits?

; )

Mr MidFi
12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Congratulations and happy b-day, you relic. I suggest a nice little ditty by Mr. Warren Zevon, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.

(I'm 8 years from relic-hood myself, BTW.)

audiobill
12-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Happy Fifty, Davey.

Today, it's Monday; but I was out of town and just saw your post, now.

How's a bout a lyric from a great Canadian: "You can't be twenty on Sugar Mountain, 'tho you're leaving there too soon.......you're leaving there too soon."

Hope you enjoy your day with some hip and happening music.

All the best,

Bill

Davey
12-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Happy Birthday....So what'd you listen to besides T. Rex?
Thanks for all the B-Day wishes everybody! Makes me feel like I'm 49 again :)

Most of the music we spun was pretty much Davey music, you know Pinback and Laika and some Hector Zazou and Sue Garner and a friend happened to have some Ani DiFranco handy so we listened to a little of that (thankfully very little) and part of a year end comp I did last week with an odd assortment of sounds. Mainly just bits and pieces of stuff. Pretty eclectic assortment of sounds. Oh yeah, snuck in a little Arto Lindsay to go with Ani DiFranco since he's on her Righteous Babe label and I wnated to hear a little Brazilian skronk. Not really all that much music. Cooked some steaks and had some beers and a laugh or two. Watched some ball.

Mike
12-21-2004, 02:46 AM
Hey Dave the big five O, I can't believe it I always put you about late 30's based on your music tastes. How come you are so hip and trendy you are an example to us all. Me I think I'm regressing back to my 70s music I've just been listening to Thin Lizzy and Focus.

Anyway you being 50 makes me feel better, me I'm in my mid forties and starting to feel a little old sometimes in the morning, so I can imagine what it must feel like for you tee hee.

Now you've reached 50 a few words of wisdom for you -

1. Always take a piss when you get the chance
2. Never trust a fart
3. If you get a stiffy make sure you use it (even if you are on your own) the opportunity might not come around again for a while.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
12-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I can't believe it I always put you about late 30's based on your music tastes. How come you are so hip and trendy you are an example to us all.
Hehehe, hip and trendy, eh? I'm about to dispel that myth! It's kinda like that little warning they put on the rear view mirror, ya know, objects may appear closer than they are. The distortion of the internet. You can be anyone you want to be. Or as my favorite aging song and dance man, Meat Loaf, once sang...

But it was long ago and it was far away
Oh God it seems so very far
And if life is just a highway - then the soul is just a car
And objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are

;)