DVD Recorder Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorder Help

jackz4000
12-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I don't know much about DVD's. I'm going to buy my 1st DVD player this month. But for a bit more, there are the DVD recorders? Record TV shows, videos etc. Any info would be a help about your experiences with DVD recorders. ie: If I buy a DVD movie can I make a safety copy of it with these recorders? Or is it better to get a DVD burner for my PC and do it that way? Need info please, Thank you, Jack

N. Abstentia
12-18-2004, 09:13 AM
No you cannot burn commercial DVD's with a DVD recorder.

You can do it with a PC with a DVD burner and special software if you don't mind losing picture quality and extra features (you have to lose something to make that 9 gig DVD fit on a 4.3 gig DVD-R).

hershon
12-18-2004, 01:06 PM
While N.Abstentia is my Guru on this board, some people on Ebay are selling a device for about $140 or so, that they state will enable people to copy (encropted/decoded) DVD's to DVD recorder. I use my stand alone recorder to tape TV and transfer videos and 8mm.

The best and easiest way is to have a DVD burner on your computer or get an external computer DVD recorder & download for free on the Web a program called DVD Shrink
which will enable you to copy commercial DVD's to DVD &/or compress the DVD if there is more than 2 hours on it including extras. I personally don't notice any drop in quality when compressed but some people here do. I'd also use DVD+RW's as it will take about 2 weeks till you get the correct hang of it. Also erase your files immediately after because they use up alot of harddrive space and always give your file a different name.

No you cannot burn commercial DVD's with a DVD recorder.

You can do it with a PC with a DVD burner and special software if you don't mind losing picture quality and extra features (you have to lose something to make that 9 gig DVD fit on a 4.3 gig DVD-R).

N. Abstentia
12-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm not REALLY wrong...if you have to buy a $150 external box to make it work then the answer is still "No, you cannot record a commercial DVD with just a standalone recorder"....plus how would you compress it down to fit?

That's kinda like saying "No, a car can't fly"..but I bet if you strap a turbine engine and some wings to it I bet it will get airborne :)

jackz4000
12-19-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the fast replies. I'll just get a DVD player since the recorders are not as versitle for my uses. Although, for another they might be just fine. Think I'll burn on the computer.

hershon
12-19-2004, 08:40 AM
If you get a DVD burner (external or internal) for your computer make sure it comes with Nero Software. Prices on these computer burners are not high & you can actually get a good bargain using the Ebay buy it now feature on new ones. Make sure you then download "DVD Shrink" & get at minimum, a group of 25 DVD+RW's (if that is the format the burner uses) which you can get for around $10-12 on sale. It'll probably take you a week till you master DVD Shrink. Always clear space on your hard drive by deleting all the VTS & Video files you created by copying it as they eat up a large amount of space.

If you also want to record from TV &/or transfer video & 8mm tape to DVD, you can get a good Stand Alone DVD recorder such as Lite On brand for around $170 or so.

Good luck

Thanks for the fast replies. I'll just get a DVD player since the recorders are not as versitle for my uses. Although, for another they might be just fine. Think I'll burn on the computer.

jackz4000
12-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks on the info. Yes, the Nero 6.6 seems the best. I already have their 5.0 which I use for CD's, so I can upgrade very easily and cheaply. For a player I bought the Phillips DVP642, seems like a good machine for the price. Copyguard? I think the Sima Enhancer may be good. Anyone know of others which are better for burning a safety copy.

hershon
12-19-2004, 09:57 AM
I always try to pick p new knowledge when I can. What is the Sima Enhancer? Is it software, a physical product & what exactly does it do? Thanks

jackz4000
12-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Sima? Sorry Hershon, wrong item for computer Dvd app.