Using Sony DW840 receiver with Bose AM10 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using Sony DW840 receiver with Bose AM10 speakers

buchuku
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Using Sony DW840 receiver with Bose AM10 speakers

I have purchased the Sony Hometheater + speakers all in one , in 2001. IT had the best of that time sony HT-DDW840 receiver.

Now i want to replace the speakers with bose AM - 10 or AM- 6 .
Can i use the current receivers. Experts please advice and help

Buchuku

oodan
12-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Buchuku,
i want to strongly advise you against the Bose product. This is more than just my opinion, its based on over a year of research... Bose is one of the only companys with a TV commercial-they spend over 50% on advertising, where obviously that money should be going into their products...for the close to a grand that you may spend on bose you could look at Athena (better quality-way cheaper-compare them at futureshop if you can) energy act 6 are almost as small as bose a kick the crap out of them for quality- Paradigm also has an impressive micro system.
I recommend (as do most) that you stay away from HTIB and buy component by component-you will be much happier with the end product...
A final note on Bose, I read a review that their micro system was missing a large frequency range between the sub and sattelites-if this is the case then you will be missing out on about 20% of the sound! The sattlites also only reach to 15 KHz-the human ear can hear to 20KHz so again you are losing sound and effects...
Good luck!
Dan

N. Abstentia
12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Why would you want to DOWNGRADE to Bose speakers?

eisforelectronic
12-18-2004, 02:27 PM
I thought those AM's were 4 ohm. I don't know what kind of power that particular Sony has, but it's a potential problem. Oh...I also have a problem accepting Bose as a speaker in general. I have been wanting to get an Infiniti G35 Coupe for a while now and the only thing that would sway me to another car is the fact that they use Bose for their sound systems...kinda makes me want a Volvo actually.

buchuku
12-18-2004, 04:59 PM
So based on all of your feedback you say bose is not good for me... then maybe i should re read the manual of sony product to set the settings on my receiver as i feel i am not receiving the complete potential of the product....

Is Bose so bad for the price !!!

oodan
12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Absolutely-Bose is among the worst reviewed speakers you will find

dinon
12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
So based on all of your feedback you say bose is not good for me... then maybe i should re read the manual of sony product to set the settings on my receiver as i feel i am not receiving the complete potential of the product....

Couple years ago, I was a big fan of Bose. I owned both lifestyle 12 and the speaker system 901 (top of the line). I paid full price for those, and end up sold those for less than half price in less than 6 months. What else do you want me to say about Bose, buckuru ? I don't know what you want from Bose ? the sound ? the look ? or the brandname?
If you want the sound, there are plenty speakers out there simply sound better than bose. Seriously, just anything you could find in circuitcity or bestbuy, not to mention those local hifi stores.
If you want the look, try some decorate your speakers with your own paint, I am sure it would look way better than Bose all the way.
If you want the brandname, you can special order the BOSE logos from Bose and stick those on your speakers.

Dr_Bass
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
my first home theater speakers ever were bose, i had the am7's on the front and the am5's on the rear and i thought they sounded great until i heard "real" speakers.

another reason i got the bose was because i wanted some type of home theater back in 95 and my sear charge card was the only money i had at the time, LOL

the bose don't sound horrible but they are not worth the money they charge and they definitely have no low-end impact.

after i bought some real speakers, i used the bose subwoofer boxes as a night stand for many years until i picked up a cheap Yamaha surround receiver and now i have them hooked up to my computer. they make great computer speakers.

on another note, i've had bad luck with sony surround recievers in the past and no problems with denon.

Bass

Using Sony DW840 receiver with Bose AM10 speakers

I have purchased the Sony Hometheater + speakers all in one , in 2001. IT had the best of that time sony HT-DDW840 receiver.

Now i want to replace the speakers with bose AM - 10 or AM- 6 .
Can i use the current receivers. Experts please advice and help

Buchuku

woodman
12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
So based on all of your feedback you say bose is not good for me...

My dear buchuku:
Bose is not good for anyone, as you've already been told by everyone that's answered your posting here. However, nobody has mentioned (so far) the #1 reason why Bose should be avoided at all costs ... the company has no business ethics whatsoever! They're unscrupulous to put it mildly.

So, you're probably wondering - just how does this impact you? Because of the fact that they go out of their way to try and eliminate any possibility that you can connect any of their products to products from a different company. They do this most often by using proprietary connections (that no one else uses). You very likely would find out to your chagrin, that the Bose speakers you're contemplating will not allow connecting to the Sony receiver that you want to connect them to! This should tell you something. It should tell you that a company that behaves in this fashion doesn't deserve any of your hard-earned cash - or anyone else's either. The fact that their products are vastly overpriced, and are outperformed by just about every competing product in the marketplace is just the final straw - even though that's what everyone usually talks about. Not only here, but at any forum of this type that you might visit.

Hope this helps you to put the final "nail in the coffin" for any and all Bose products.