Please, tell me about Blackfield:Be [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please, tell me about Blackfield:Be

3-LockBox
12-17-2004, 09:54 AM
I've read that its another Steve Wilson collaboration.

Anyone...

anyone...

anyone...

BarryL
12-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I've read that its another Steve Wilson collaboration.

Anyone...

anyone...

anyone...

I just got this one recently and it's okay. If you like Wilson's stuff, then you'll like it. There's not much not to like, but it doesn't break much new ground. You will recognize the sound instantly as the Steve Wilson sound.

The songs are all short, usually under four minutes. The whole CD is under 40 minutes. The one I got has a bonus CD with three songs and a video of one of the songs. There's no reason why the three bonus songs couldn't have been on the regular CD. It's not like they wouldn't fit.

If you are familiar with No-Man, this project sounds similar in a lot of respects, except that the songs are faster and shorter. The singing is pretty good. Frankly, I prefer No-Man. I find that much more interesting, even though the songs are stretched out, but that provides more room for Wilson to create his sonic landscapes. Blackfield songs are more traditional pop songs with the Wilson treatment.

It's a pretty straight-forward affair, but don't expect anything overly creative or boundary-stretching.

As for Be, that's the recent album by Pain of Salvation. It's an interesting dark kinda-prog album, a concept album that crosses science-fiction with spiritual/religious metaphysical questions. I prefer their previous accoustic-based 12:5. Both are interesting albums from an interesting boundary-probing band that continues to march to its own beat and create complex thinking-man's music for the 21st century. Blackfield is much more accessible. There's nothing to dance to on Be.

DarrenH
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Barry said it best.

Very accessible Steven Wilson side project with Israeli singer songwriter Aviv Geffen. Not much more I can add maybe just to say that I liked it as well.

Darren

N. Abstentia
12-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I'll agree with Barry. I rushed to pick it up when I heard about it, it's okay. I was really kind of dissapointed in the sound quality, it's just kind of cold. Very listenable, I guess I just expected more thanks to In Absentia.

Troy
12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Sounds like I liked Blackfield more than the rest of youz.

There's a few really solid melodies on there and some nice sonic atmosphere.

A solid used purchase for any Porcupine Tree fan.

3-LockBox
12-17-2004, 08:17 PM
'Be' is an album by Salem Hill, recommended by my Amazon page.

And of course, Blackfield.

So what about Salem Hill?

DarrenH
12-17-2004, 08:51 PM
'Be' is an album by Salem Hill, recommended by my Amazon page.

And of course, Blackfield.

So what about Salem Hill?

Barry is right. "Be" is from Pain Of Salvation.

Salem Hill does have a new album but I can't remember what the title is.

Darren