Help Polk SW12 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Polk SW12

mbalari
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I expect that someone can give me a hand with this problem:

A couple a days before i bought a SUB PSW12, when i install it everthing works OK, however if I increase the volume a rare sound appears.

It sounds like if you hit a piece of paper with your finger. I am worried because i think that could be a manufacture problem.

The sound came from the exit of air of the front, NOT from the cone.

I hope to have been clear in my explanation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cubdog
01-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Understand, this site can at times be somewhat elitist. You might try the Polk Audio forum for some insight into your problem. I'm not trying to offend anyone here this is just an observation.

cubdog

markw
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
...sometimes a subject line is so ambigious that nobody bothers to read it or nobody knows the answer.

In this case maybe he got lucky I'm bored.

What he'sdescribing sounds lile "port noise" or "chuffing", which is a byproduct of a small enclosure with a big port. Tha air trying to force it's way out of the port is somewhat constricted and results in a kind of chuffing noise. There's nothing wrong with the speaker. My JBL L55 does that when it's sweating to keep up with some relatively deep bass.

FWIW, this is one lf the LEAST elitest sites I can think of and a LOT of newbies pass through here on their way to audio enlightenment. Of course, some choose the blue pill and others choose the red pill. 'nuff said.

cubdog
01-07-2005, 12:39 PM
I said do not take offence. Elitist is not a derogatory term unless you perceive it to be. I was only suggesting better luck might be had on the polk site.

cubdog

markw
01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
... that one looks down on those that don't measure up to some sort of undefined criteria, be it $$ spent on a system, brands chosen or whatever else one might choose to use as a yardstick in which to feel superior to another.

To say "not to offend anyone" is like when were kids we would say "no offense but you're momma wears combat boots" or some such. IOW, the words "no offense but" do not excuse the body slam that follows.

At least that's how I see it in my years of experience here.

Look around and you'll see all sorts of questions answered for all types/brands of equipment. Granted, some equipment garners more respect than others but I doubt if that fact is ever rubbed in anyone's face. Sometimes a question is answered honestly and the poster doesn't like it but that's the penalty of an honest answer. I doubt it's done with any intent of putting others down.

Likewise, some heated discussions can transpire when discussing some of the more esoteric subjects and differing "opinions" on some subjects clash but that's all part of the game. All views are accepted but if you wanna run with the big dogs you better be able to keep up with 'em.

...and, you might want to spend some time poking around or seeking interaction with the natives before rendering judgment. Your participation here seems to be a grand total of 3 - 4 posts which doesn't really amount to a drop in the bucket and doesn't really qualify you to pass judgment.

Let's consider this closed, shall we?.

cubdog
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Sorry,one more. For the most part members of this forum do make up an elite group. This is a fact not a judgement. I enjoy the give and take presented on this site and if I have offended anyone that was certainly not my intent. There is a wealth of knowledge available here and if I felt any members discriminated against those with lesser quality audio equiptment or less audio knowledge I would not have joined. Hope this clears some things up.

cubdog