Mike Oldfield's "Incantations" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mike Oldfield's "Incantations"

Hyfi
12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Any fans of this double LP? Lots of talk about Tubular Bells all the time but no one ever mentions this beauty. Although Tubular Bells is kind of a cult classic, Incantations is musically superior in my opinion.

Sides A & B start out on the slower side setting the groove. Side 3 starts to jam a bit with a nice dreamy raw guitar melody. Side 4 keeps this groove going until the last few minutes when Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span kicks in with her angelic voice.

I seem to recall Dusty mention this album in a tuesday thread a ways back but never any real discussion here.

So, where are all the fans of this great album?

Hyfi

progfan
12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
You'll get no arguments from me on your assessment of Incantations. I think it blows Tubular Bells away. Imo, it's better structured than TB and has smoother musical transistions. Incantations is the perfect winter record and I usually play it quite a bit this time of year. The whole record reminds me of snow for some reason.

It's too bad none of his later albums sold as well in the States after TB because I think Hergest Ridge, Incantations and Ommadawn are all much better recordings. I wonder how many people bought TB simply because they thought they were gettting the soundtrack to The Exorcist. ;)

DarrenH
12-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll be honest Brian, I was not that impressed with Incantations. I'm no Oldfield guru but I do prefer his first three albums over Incantations, which imo, seemed rather long winded and boring. The inclusion of Maddy Prior's vocals, while I can appreciate her work and contribution with Steeleye Span, did nothing for me here.

I'll get it out again (possibly tonight) and give it another listen. I don't like to give up on things so quickly. Well, except rap music.

Darren

Dusty Chalk
12-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Quite possibly my favourite (top 5-ish) album from one of my favourite artists (top 10, no -ish). I agree that it's superior to even Tubular Bells. Side four blows me away. No, maybe it's side three. "The Dream of Hiawatha" or whatever that song is that ends side two is a little long, but that's my only criticism, and I have since gotten used to it, so it's not like a recommendation for a change or anything. In fact, in hindsight, it's kind of tantric.

DarrenH
12-17-2004, 02:59 PM
I'll be honest Brian, I was not that impressed with Incantations. I'm no Oldfield guru but I do prefer his first three albums over Incantations, which imo, seemed rather long winded and boring. The inclusion of Maddy Prior's vocals, while I can appreciate her work and contribution with Steeleye Span, did nothing for me here.

I'll get it out again (possibly tonight) and give it another listen. I don't like to give up on things so quickly. Well, except rap music.

Darren

Alright, I just listened to this again and on a better system. And while I thought of it better this time around my overall opinion hasn't changed much.

I'm terrible at expressing myself in words regarding music. AMG's review sums it up for me.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4731ED24AAF7E20C0802646C8A776FF0CD057 DA8611344754D5B97F4B82006AB70CA5D99AEEA420F878ADE0 2FA3450DD3CAEA1AF9D6633B378EE7B60045&sql=10:5mr9kebtjq7v

Darren

Hyfi
12-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Alright, I just listened to this again and on a better system. And while I thought of it better this time around my overall opinion hasn't changed much.

I'm terrible at expressing myself in words regarding music. AMG's review sums it up for me.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4731ED24AAF7E20C0802646C8A776FF0CD057 DA8611344754D5B97F4B82006AB70CA5D99AEEA420F878ADE0 2FA3450DD3CAEA1AF9D6633B378EE7B60045&sql=10:5mr9kebtjq7v

Darren

I have to say, when I discovered this album I listened mostly to side 4 exclusively. I was and still am a sucker for Maddy priors voice (along with Annie Haslam and a few others) but I do like the soaring slightly grungy guitar ride. I did used to get plenty stoned as a warmup for this album....hehe....but still like that side lots today. Oh and as far as sound quality, that disk was MP3s so sound quality is up in the air.