What speakers should i have [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What speakers should i have

johnb70
12-17-2004, 07:11 AM
I currently have a marantz pm7200 amp cambridge audio azur 640c cd a cambridge audio dab 300 tuner a project 3 turntable all coupled by qunex cables and mission 73i speakers connected with qed carnival bi-wire cables. can anyone recommend a good upgrade on my speakers to compliment my system

Resident Loser
12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
...all you will get here is opinion...based on very specific parameters...none of them quite matching yours.

Face it, somebody likes this brand because it's what they currently own...or suggests that brand because suggesting the name imparts them with a certain "above-it-all" mystique..."ooo, he know's about them!...he must be right!!!

When you come right down to it, it's your wallet and you have to be satisfied with your choice...I'd suggest you listen around to some speakers in your price range(and even a bit above) to narrow down the candidates...maybe the dealer has some "loaners" or a liberal return policy that will allow you to hear them in YOUR environment, after all, that's where they will be working...

BTW, the Marantz 7200 is that relatively new integrated isn't it? How do you like it? Looks very interesting...

jimHJJ(...good listening...)

topspeed
12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Follow Jim's advice, speakers are the most subjective part of the audio chain. If you like your current missions, have you considered moving up the food chain within Mission? I've had my Mission Argonauts for almost 18 years now and they still make wonderful music. Good speakers. Good company.

RGA
12-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Like the others have said listen listen listen - everything gets a good review by someone and owners have a tough time being objective - which makes sense because an owner bought what they bought for a reason.

I prefer the older Missions to the newer ones but you may not feel that way - take a set home and try em out against your Missions.

Also work on the positioning - sometimes slight adjustments to positioning can affect the sound you hear significantly.

johnb70
12-18-2004, 05:14 AM
thanks! I've ended up with some acoustic energy evo 3 speakers they seem to be just what i was looking for. marantz don't have brilliant reviews but i like the looks and sound goes very well with my cambridge audio azur 640c cd player and my new speakers.Thanks once again for the advice. My next upgrade will be a new cartridge for my project turntable and possibly a new set of headphones.