K.D. Lang "Hymns of the 49th Parallel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : K.D. Lang "Hymns of the 49th Parallel

RGA
12-16-2004, 03:00 PM
This girl can sing - and perhaps I didn't know it until this album - her version of Neil Young's Helpless is quite emotionally charged. I don't know if this album will even be released in the U.S since it's quite a Canadian geared album.

Nevertheless the recording is mostly excellent and the paino digs way down there and really fills the room - or should depending on your gear I guess.

Still the piano work in my room shakes blows through my back wall and rumbles the room down the hall at pretty low volume...love that room filling fullness of the viola and that there feel.

I'm not really familiar with KD Lang to be honest - and this is the first album I've picked up from her - so I might seek out others. I remember only one song Constant Craving from a few years ago but it was overly played and started me to crave it being off the radio.

MindGoneHaywire
12-16-2004, 04:48 PM
She doesn't have the pipes she once did, but at one point I seriously think she may have been the best pop singer in the world. Like around the time of Absolute Torch & Twang. That's my favorite of hers; by the time of Constant Craving, uh, err, uh, no. AT&T is an outstanding country album that's not exactly c&w but definitely not New Nashville either. Prior to that she did Shadlowland with Owen Bradley & also Dave Edmunds produced her debut, Angel w/A Lariat. Good recs all but AT&T is the best to these ears.

Mike
12-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I sort of lost interest in KD Lang after All You Can Eat which was ok but seem to have a lot of fillers and didn't really seem to be going anywhere. But she has a great voice she just needed some good material.

After just listening to some samples of this latest albums it sounds pretty good there's some nice covers on there by Mitchell, Young and including another version of Hallelujah which I didn't realise was written by Leonard Cohen, and I like the sound of this setting with just piano, strings etc.

Yet another one for the wishlist....

Cheers
Mike

Ex Lion Tamer
12-17-2004, 04:20 AM
I gave this a preview at an HMV listening post a few months ago, didn't quite hear enough to pull the trigger, the way you describe it a listening post sampling is probably not the best way to get a taste of this album? I have no KD albums, I've often come thiiiisss close (holds thumb and index finger really close together), but for some reason never actually left the store with one. Maybe this will be the one, or maybe I'll take my chances on J's fave; Absolute Torch & Twang.

nobody
12-17-2004, 07:38 AM
I've only got Shadowland, but think it is great. It's an album of country standards done with a little extra polish. Lang is in fine voice throughout, the playing and recording is excellent, an altogether winning album.

I haven't heard much of what she's done lately, but when she's on her game, she's got a great voice and can sing just about anything.

I've head random songs from her off other albums aout and about, but have never listened to any others all the way through. Sounds like Torch and Twang may be something I need to look for.

RGA
12-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Got to say I'm not a huge country fan so Lang really has gone under my radar - there seems to be a lot of crossover country - Shania is country?? Sorta but it's not the country I remember country to be. Frankly I'm rather sick and tired of all the sub-genres of Rock, pop, alternative, hiphop, house, dance, trance, ska, rave, punk, the many different Jazz forms UGGH.

Then when you think it's kinda Jazz - SADE someone says nope that's Jazz/pop/blues fusion LOL

I think i'll try some of these other Lang Albums - lots of used LP's abound i'm sure for $1.00 or $2