Harmon Kardon or Denon?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Kardon or Denon??

jpico
12-15-2004, 10:10 PM
I am looking at purchasing a receiver and a DVD player, and am trying to figure out which one to buy. The two that I have narrowed it down to for receivers are the HK AVR-430 or the Denon AVR-2805. As for DVD players, the the HK DVD 31 (not sure which Denon to purchase) and the ones that I am looking for. I have read several reviews and specs (such as the Faroudja chip, huh?) between the two, and it makes me even more confused figuring out which one is better. Any help (such as which works better w/ a HD TV) distinguishing the best one between the two manufacturers would be most helpful.

-jpico

jasmit
12-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, since you've not gotten much of a response, I'll jump in here. First, understand that this comes from someone who's probably almost as much of a novice as yourself. Second, my reply will be somewhat general in nature.

IMHO, both Denon and HK are fine companies which make excellent products in the "mid-fi" arena. Each has several receivers ranging from very inexpensive to fairly expensive. The ones you're zeroing in on are somewhere in the middle of that range -- about where I'm looking as well. The HK AVR430 is being replaced by the 435, so it's likely you'll find the 430 at bargain prices. The Denon AVR-2805, though well into its lifespan, doesn't yet have a replacement on the horizen, to my knowledge. So, if you're going to purchase the Denon from an authorized dealer, you'll pay $899. Of course, Crutchfield has a deal where if you buy two components at the same time, they'll give you 10% off.

In general, between the two receivers, you'll find that the Denon is more feature-laden and, as a consequence, perhaps more flexible when it comes to home theater. It's interesting to note that, even though the Denon's advertised specs show it to have 35 more watts per channel, it weighs ten pounds less than the HK, suggesting that the HK is as powerful, if not more powerful, than the Denon. Both, I'm sure, are excellent receivers at their price points.

As far as the DVD players go, my sense of things, based on my readings of test reports, etc., is that the Denon line is a step up from the HK -- probably because of the Faroudja decoding engine found in most of them. I don't believe HK uses the Faroudja chip -- at least they don't advertise it.

If your interest was primarily music, you couldn't go wrong with either the Denon or the HK, but since you're interested primarily in HT, if I were in your shoes, I'd lean toward the Denon. All of this, of course, in my humble and not-all-that-experienced opinion.

Tarheel_
12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
I am looking at purchasing a receiver and a DVD player, and am trying to figure out which one to buy. The two that I have narrowed it down to for receivers are the HK AVR-430 or the Denon AVR-2805. As for DVD players, the the HK DVD 31 (not sure which Denon to purchase) and the ones that I am looking for. I have read several reviews and specs (such as the Faroudja chip, huh?) between the two, and it makes me even more confused figuring out which one is better. Any help (such as which works better w/ a HD TV) distinguishing the best one between the two manufacturers would be most helpful.

-jpico
i've owned/own both company recievers, but not those exact models. I can say the HK weighs more and therefore is a good indication of quality. The HK worked best for my HT room. The Denon is harder to look at, if looks are important. I will say in the Denon's favor...resale value. From experience the Denon will bring more on the used market.

DVD players...i agree with jasmitt, HK doesn't have the best rep.so go Denon here.
I would try to locate a shop selling Denon and HK (circuit city) and demo them both. See which remote you like best and know your features before hand. Good luck!