DVD Recorder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorder

ghost116
12-15-2004, 07:54 PM
I am looking for what????????????? This is what I want it to do. Record movies nicely. I have Disney movies for my son. I want it to play the dvd's nicely also. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Or be looking for?

Thanks Frank

hershon
12-15-2004, 08:12 PM
The biggest scam that the people who sell DVD recorders don't tell you is they are all decypted to prevent you from copying most commercial DVD and/or VHS products but there is an easy way to get around this. For your purposes, copying DVD to DVD, you should either have a built in DVD recorder drive on your computer or get an external one for your computer at $80-$120. Once you have that download a free DVD decryption program called DVD Shrink on the web. This program will allow you to copy decrypted DVD's and if the total content is more than 2 hours the DVD disc holds, it will automatically compress it so everything fits. The only main things to know are, 1. Always erase everything after you recorded or it will eat up your hard drive real soon as recordings take up alot of space, 2. Always give your file a different name. After about a week it will be extremely easy to use. I recommend you initially only use DVD+RW discs.

I also have a stand alone DVD recorder for which I convert VHS & 8mm to DVD & record TV shows. My DVD recorder records in DVD+R format & cost me new $169 at Circuit City Online. Oh, some dude on Ebay is selling a devise for satand alone DVD recorders that also allows you to record DVD's but he sells it for $140 or so.

ghost116
12-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Can you suggest a good player? Or what I should look for? I have most of the HT components in line on what I will be buying, just need a good dvd player now.

Thanks again

Frank

hershon
12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
For standalone get for $169 including shipping the Lite On DVD Recorder LVW5001 at CircuitCity.com. Whoops its no longer at CircuitCity .com but you should be able to get this for between $170 -$195 online new. I think Ebay is selling another 5000 model from Lite On

If you don't have a built in recorder on your computer, get a new external USB one for between $80-140 new including Nero software, using the buy it now feature on Ebay from regular vendors who sell this on mass on Ebay (Check their feedback ratings too). I bought mine online at Ebay.

ghost116
12-20-2004, 05:53 PM
thanks for the advice on the RECORDER now how about a PLAYER? :D