ORB mod 1 / mod 2 or POLK 10 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ORB mod 1 / mod 2 or POLK 10

ydnarb
12-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I am debating between Polk a10 and Orb. Any input? I am leaning toward the Orb at about $800. I need to use the 2 rears as a wireless due to an impossible island that my plasma is on that is landlocked. Can't go in any direction with wire without major construction changes. My alternative is to put all speakers on the front island with the TV. Onkyo receiver 602

looking at a mod 1 with a mod 2 center.

PE

markw
12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
How do you propose to "run the rears wireless"? Is this a feature of these systems?

I recall seeing two gadgets in the latestt Radio Shack sunday flyer, a transmitter and a receiver/amplifier, that would do this but it costs a few pennies and doesn't seem to afford the greatest of sound but, then again, it probably would do the job. They would apparantly totally bypass the rear power amps in your receiver.

ydnarb
12-15-2004, 06:32 PM
That is what they say. They say to buy a Radio Shack digital wireless transmitter. It plugs in on the rear wall I guess. They claim it works decent and has no buzzing or hiss because itis digital. As I mentioned my backup would be for all on the front island wall I guess.
Thanks
PE

stuartlittle
12-17-2004, 03:36 PM
The Orbs are really good speakers and their direct business model is the way to go. You will get a lot more than $800 worth of speaker as compared to what you get in stores.

I'm sure the wireless transmitter is not as good as wired sound, but for rear surrounds, if it's what you have to do, it will probably be fine. I've heard a similar transmitter that had no static whatsoever, so I imagine if one company can do it, Radio Shack can, too. That unit is only $100, and you can return anything to Radio Shack, so how wrong can you be?

ydnarb
12-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Phil