Are all YPAOs created equal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are all YPAOs created equal?

nick4433
12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
A frien of mine recently purchased a yammy 650 or maybe 750 but it had EQ only for the center channel. I wonder if the YPAO is different from those yammys that have an EQ for all channels.

kexodusc
12-15-2004, 02:11 PM
The actual full parametric eq does not exist on the 650/750 or HTR-5760...onlin the 4 digit RX-V's and HTR-5790.
Now, as for the real world benefit...IMO, the YPAO does most of its great work on the level matching and delay settings, much better than myself, an SPL meter and measuring tape can do...the eq'ing to me isn't very significant, probably because I have matching speakers. I think the midrange/higher frequencies are less sensitive to room acoustics, though, if there is some large room interactions at play, YPAO probably doesn't hurt.
My biggest beef is that YPAO does absolutely nothing below 100 Hz or so, where it matters most.

I own the RX-V1400, I love the receiver, but, I honestly feel the RX-V650/HTR-5760 is the best value in receivers today, unless you really need component video upconversion. The extra power is nice, but a separate power amp with the 650 would be better, IMO.

nick4433
12-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Kexo, I had the same receiver before I switched to the Pioneer 2012K as a prepro. Are you saying that all the 650/750 does is adjust the sound level and not apply parametric EQ? Something like the lower end Pioneers?

kexodusc
12-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, something like the high end H/K's, Denon's etc...I woudln't call auto setup low-end by any means.
And from what I've read and heard about Pioneer Elite, Denon, and Yamaha's built in Parametric Eq's accuracy and performance, that feature isn't nearly as important as the buzzing audioworld would believe. Not exactly a huge loss...If I was buying over again, I don't think I'd buy the RX-V1400.

I certainly don't notice any great benefit when I run it, other than the incredibly accurate level and delay setting which I could have got in the 650 or 750. Or an H/K or something.

But yeah, the 650/750 models don't do the Parametric Eq thing. You could argue the 1400 and up don't really do it either.