The official FP mystery disc defamation thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The official FP mystery disc defamation thread

Jim Clark
12-14-2004, 07:05 AM
As you may or may not know, I don't drink, and I mention this only because it may be source of my problem with this particular disc. In a bar setting, perferably someplace in New Orleans, getting the drunk on with a bunch of good friends this would probably be thoroughly entertaining, not because it's super-duper good, but because it's energetic and works hard to be fun. In my living room, most of it just seems kinda silly.

Nobody can accuse this disc of sounding similar throughout. At times there's that funky, soulful New Orleans vibe thing (which I can't stand at all), then there's a touch of ska/reggae in another song, then lead vocals change from a Tom Waits sounding mofo to a much smoother cat. If there's one unifying point among any of this is that I think all tracks try valiently to be fun and I can appreciate that. You remember that song by Jean Knight, "My Toot Toot"? Some of these songs seem to try that hard to reach novelty status, at least it seems to me. It's certainly an ecclectic effort.

Seventeen tracks is a heck of a long disc, especially when it's not the kind of thing you would normally listen to.

Some random thoughts:
Track 1- sounds almost like some Smash Mouth inspired song that would roll at the end of a Shrek movie.

Track 5 is terrribly familiar. I know a song that sounds very, very similar to this and it's been killing me that I can't figure it out.

Track 8 would probably be my fave. Cool guitar. "Each and Every Mother Funker" is a funny lyric.

Thanks for sending it, FWIW, the comp fared much better but that will be another day.

jc

Troy
12-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I pretty much agree with Jim.

This is not a CD that I am particularly taken with.

It's far too long. This should be 45 minutes long, not 63.

It's all over the map, but it's basically New Orleans blues. I hear a lot of Dr. John in the singer. Tom Waits too. The singer ties it all together and I bet this "band" is named after the singer.

This is the kind of act that would be a great party to see live. I'd really enjoy this in a small club, drinking with friends. But as a CD to listen to at home, I feel . . . left out of the party, ya know?

My favorite track is the "Centaur Song". Not only is it funny, it's got great production values. I just find the music to be underwritten and simplistic, but you know me, I like music that's a lot more composed and structurally ambitious. I grow bored with stuff like this very easily.

I know a lot of people that would love this. I'll pass it on . . . when I find out who it is.

Finch Platte
12-15-2004, 03:53 AM
I wake up at 3:30 a.m. to read this!?: But as a CD to listen to at home, I feel . . . left out of the party, ya know?

A friend of mine handed me this disc and said "you'll probably like this" and he was right. Looks like I sent it to the wrong people again. :rolleyes: I need to find folks who actually go to parties instead of bemoaning the fact they never get invited. :p

Incidentally, it's long because there are two bands on there- didn't I write that on the label? Oh, well.

Pass 'em along, boys.

fp

Mike
12-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Incidentally, it's long because there are two bands on there- didn't I write that on the label? Oh, well. fp

That might explain (like I mentioned earlier) why I thought I recognised one of the bands. I thought it might have been a band I saw earlier this year called Reel Big Fish??

Anyway the vocalist on the first tracks gets on my nerves after a while but the latter one is ok. Overall I like the album(s) and I can see it getting some play next summer in the garden if only to annoy the neighbours.

Thanks again for sending it, so who is it then??

Cheers
Mike

Finch Platte
12-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Thanks again for sending it, so who is it then??

Cheers
Mike

First band- Spooky Daly Pride (www.spookydalypride.com)
Second- Buck 65 (www.buck65.com)

Thanks for playing. :cool:

fp

Jim Clark
12-15-2004, 06:24 AM
I wake up at 3:30 a.m. to read this!?:fp

you can go back to bed now

Looks like I sent it to the wrong people again. :rolleyes: I need to find folks who actually go to parties instead of bemoaning the fact they never get invited. :p fp

Oh, Oh! Hey, I actually did get invited to go out last night, by a real lady no less! Wife too of course. I had to work though.

Pass 'em along, boys.fp

If I knew where the guy who cut me off last night lived... Seriously though, you know who may like this? Chip, dat's who and on top of that he's nice enough to probably say he likes it regardless. Don't think it's serious enough for that other guy who used to roam these boards. Eventually I'll have something to send Chip and let this tag along. Thanks again for sending it, sure was nice of ya even though it didn't go over liked you had hoped.

jc

KEXPMF
12-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh, Oh! Hey, I actually did get invited to go out last night, by a real lady no less! Wife too of course. I had to work though.

jc

Hey Jim!
You missed a fun time!! At 8pm I basically walked in to a fancy French restaurant that over the course of a few hours slowly transformed into a dark, very cool NYC style lounge with 3 DJs (2 + me) spinning mostly house music and electronica, martini specials, all types of people that I didn't think I'd find in Kansas City, in a strip mall in suburban Johnson County no less. A fun scene for sure. Picture a dance floor, Groove Armada playing, grandparents dancing right next to two people of undeterrmined gender. Something kinda cool about that. Everyone had fun. You guys will have to come out next Tuesday if you can. I guess they liked my DJing, they asked me to come back. There is also going to be a live percussionist joining us!
Good food at that place too. The chef/owner is some French guy who somehow ended up in Kansas City. :cool:

Jim Clark
12-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Hey Jim!
You missed a fun time!! At 8pm I basically walked in to a fancy French restaurant that over the course of a few hours slowly transformed into a dark, very cool NYC style lounge with 3 DJs (2 + me) spinning mostly house music and electronica, martini specials, all types of people that I didn't think I'd find in Kansas City, in a strip mall in suburban Johnson County no less. A fun scene for sure. Picture a dance floor, Groove Armada playing, grandparents dancing right next to two people of undeterrmined gender. Something kinda cool about that. Everyone had fun. You guys will have to come out next Tuesday if you can. I guess they liked my DJing, they asked me to come back. There is also going to be a live percussionist joining us!
Good food at that place too. The chef/owner is some French guy who somehow ended up in Kansas City. :cool:

See FP, proof!

You know what I will probably not be able to make it over next Tuesday either! Same ol' lame excuse of workng till 10 that night - but - Susan's 50'th B-Day is next Tuesday also so I really can't just hop on over after work without serious repercussions. Like I said, I'll make it out someday-promise.

You know, you might just find that you're getting so popular that you'll just have to move back to KC.

jc