What music are you buying for other people this holiday season? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What music are you buying for other people this holiday season?

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2004, 06:39 AM
So far, I've picked up a few musical gifts for other's this year.

Sarah McLachlan DVD.
Some old Canadian act called 'Stringband' that my sister-in-law wanted.
Hubby is getting a Gord Downie (Tragically Hip) CD.
Hubby may also get the Spinal Tap DVD, or I might save this for his birthday next month.
Brittany Spears and Hillary Duff CDs for my nieces. (Nah, I'm just kidding). ;)

What musical treats will your loved ones find under the proverbial tree?

BarryL
12-14-2004, 07:09 AM

Sarah McLachlan DVD.
Hubby may also get the Spinal Tap DVD, or I might save this for his birthday next month.

But you'll just have to wait to find out.

The older one actually knows who Britney Spears is, but I'm not sure she could pick her out of a line up.

Good thing you don't allow your hubby access to the internet!

Hugh's Room was closed yesterday but I left a message. I'll let you know. Marc Jordan is playing at the Mississauga Theatre on Saturday nights, so I expect his Friday night show will be the same show in a smaller setting! Should be great.

Ex Lion Tamer
12-14-2004, 07:29 AM
The Mrs. (or little woman or ole ball chain, or insert your own insulting pejorative) has a hankering for the new Josh Groban disk. I might oblige. Otherwise the dulcet tones of Hillary Duff will decking these here walls.

DarrenH
12-14-2004, 08:14 AM
I felt extremely uncomfortable carrying the following items up to the counter that were requested by my family members:

For my mother - Toby Keith - Greatest Hits vol 2

For my sister - Felacio Barrino (whatever that chicks name is who won the latest American Idol crap).

Oye.

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Good thing you don't allow your hubby access to the internet!

Yeah. Luckily for me he has absolutely no interest in playing on the computer.

I was going to mention that someone was going to get the Blackfield CD for Christmas, but that someone went out and bought it for themselves. Therefore, someone is getting a big bag full of coal for Christmas!!! Hmmmm....or worse...maybe I'll pick up that Hillary Duff CD after all.

NO! Wait! Didn't I see a Lindsey Lohan CD on sale in the Best Buy flyer? Yeah...that's the ticket. :p

BarryL
12-14-2004, 08:53 AM
I felt extremely uncomfortable carrying the following items up to the counter that were requested by my family members:

For my mother - Toby Keith - Greatest Hits vol 2

For my sister - Felacio Barrino (whatever that chicks name is who won the latest American Idol crap).

Oye.

Once you hit a certain age and don't have nose rings and tattoos on your neck or face, the people who work in record stores just think you're an old geezer geek anyway, no matter what you buy. And if you buy something really cool, they think it's for your kids.

nobody
12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
I pretty much stick with gift certificates when getting people music for the Holidays, too big of a chance grabbing something they really want.

KEXPMF
12-14-2004, 11:05 AM
I have a cousin in TX. (2 years ago, at age 17, he asked for Creed, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park... now he's TOTALLY into classic rock - Hendrix, Zeppelin, Steve Miller, etc WHEW!!!!)
(actually a LOT of kids are into classic rock I've noticed)

Anyway, I'm getting my cousin a Musicmatch (or possibly another online music store) gift certificate, so he can pick out 15 songs. Much better than getting him some album that he'll only like a few of the songs from. I think this is a GREAT gift idea for people. :cool:

KEXPMF
12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
My younger sister will also get an online gift certificate which she will undoubtably fill with the likes of Nelly, Jay Z, Fabolus, Snoop Dogg....fo' shizzle.
I'm TRYING to get her into some better hip hop, older stuff like Tribe Called Quest and Delinquent Habits and Arrested Development. She's all about the NEW.
I DID actually hear something new in the hip hop world that I REALLY like. The artist is called Guerilla Black and the song is called Compton. It's getting played right along side Snoop Dogg, etc. BUT it's GREAT. Kinda reggae-ish. I didn't listen to the lyrics carefully. I try not to for fear it will ruin the song for me. Today's hip hop lyrics are the worst.

For my mom, Trans Siberian Orchestra, if they have something new out.
She plays it when I'm not visiting. When I'm here we compromise and listen to Michael Hedges, Solas or Janis Ian. (thank goodness I got her into those!!)
She even likes Groove Armada, but not for a whole album.
Mostly she's ALL about the classical. :cool:

I'm going to see if she likes my new Christmas cd from JDaniel. :cool:

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2004, 01:27 PM
For my mom, Trans Siberian Orchestra, if they have something new out.
She plays it when I'm not visiting. When I'm here we compromise and listen to Michael Hedges, Solas or Janis Ian. (thank goodness I got her into those!!)
She even likes Groove Armada, but not for a whole album.
Mostly she's ALL about the classical. :cool:

I'm going to see if she likes my new Christmas cd from JDaniel. :cool:

Trans-Siberian does have a new CD out this year. It's called The Lost Christmas Eve. It's not as good (IMHO) as their previous releases, but if your Mom likes their other CD's she'll like this one too.

I like that idea of a gift certificate to download songs. I don't download myself. I'm of the old school that likes to own the whole disk even if half of it stinks. But for those who do download, that's very cool. :cool:

KEXPMF
12-14-2004, 01:56 PM
cool thing is you can download the 1/2 that doesn't stink and the 1/2 of what doesn't stink from another cd. (I often combine 4 cds into one by copying just what I like... saves lots o space too and is good for DJing) :)

dean_martin
12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes, I have to get the wife the new Josh Groban disc too. Lately, she's been mentioning Alison Krauss so I'll probably pick up one of hers too - any suggestions?

15yr old son - DCI 2004 World Championships 4 disc set (the top Drum & Bugle Corps competing in Denver back in August). These sets usually contain some spine-tingling stuff.

jack70
12-16-2004, 04:18 AM
I tried to find a copy of Beth Nielson Chapman's latest CD "Hymns" for my neice (17), but there's not a copy within 50 frickin miles. (with all the crap that IS available in stores, it's too bad independents still have distribution problems). I have most of her previous albums, which go back to the early 90's and are in a Carole King/Aimee Mann kinda style, although some of her tunes are a little too much in the pop vein for me. (there's a cut of hers on my Vol-3 TM comp). She's also written a number of hit songs for others in the Nashville scene. This latest album, I was unaware of until hearing it recently on NPR radio. It's a classical-ish form of hymn singing... solo and other styles of harmonic songs written by Beth from her memories of stuff she heard in church when she was a kid. Quite different and very good. My neice has studied voice, so I thought this would be nice to sing along with. (her, not me. LOL!)

For my nephew, I got a DVD of SRV... it's a double disc of his '82 (pre-recording contract) live date at Montreux, and '85 date, with additional background interviews. My nephew's been playing guitar for less than a year (he's 13), but he's getting damn good (plays hours on end). He's being taught all the classic Rock guitar repertoire... Jimi and Zep etc. I don't know where his tastes will eventually lead him, but as long as he doesn't get stuck in a death-metal rut, I won't complain. Since he can play Hendrix pretty well, I thought Stevie was a good "new" thing for him to discover. I also got him a copy of Dada's latest album, How To Be Found... it's got their classic 60's retro style, good vocals, and like all their stuff features the guitar up front. I picked up a copy of Chris Duarte's '03 album Romp, thinking that might be a good pick too... I haven't heard it (or much from him since his debut). Guess that'll be my x-mas CD.

BillB
12-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Wife: U2's new album, Van Morrison's Greatest Hits, Alicia Keys' new album.
Brother (22): The Libertines new album, Paul McCartney Ram, John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band (MoFi), The Verve's Singles.

Bill

Celtic Bob
12-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Just one music gift going out this year. That's to my Mom, she's getting a Xmas cd that will help raise money for a church in London,Ont. The cd is mainly piano and vocals. Vocals are done by Brian Vollmer of HELIX. The guy is classically trained and still goes to vocal lessons every 2 weeks. It's a very traditional cd. You can order it at www.planethelix.com Just tell him I sent ya.
b.

Damn, I'm starting to sound like i work for the guy.

Rob B in CT
12-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Yes, I have to get the wife the new Josh Groban disc too. Lately, she's been mentioning Alison Krauss so I'll probably pick up one of hers too - any suggestions?

I have most of Alison Krauss's disc, and the one I return to most frequently is 'Forget About It,' a solo disc. Good covers in more of a pop setting than what she performs with Union Station. Of the Union Station discs, I probably like the double live album the best. Excellent music and good value. (Usually about $15.)

Stone
12-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Not much.

Mastodon - Remission for my brother.

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels for my (next) future sister-in-law.

Other than that, I did buy the Pancake Mountain DVD for my son and my future step-neice, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Davey
12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Probably nothing. Might pick myself up one or two though. Maybe that Autolux Future Perfect that a lot of people have been talking up. Or maybe the Drive By Truckers. Or maybe the last Wilco album. No, probably don't need more Wilco. The more I think about it, the more it looks like Autolux just might be decking my halls this holiday.

We should give some virtual music gifts this year. Pick a Rave Wrecker and tell us what you would give him or her to put under the tree. No cost gifts - what a concept!

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/santa.gif

dean_martin
12-21-2004, 07:36 AM
I have most of Alison Krauss's disc, and the one I return to most frequently is 'Forget About It,' a solo disc. Good covers in more of a pop setting than what she performs with Union Station. Of the Union Station discs, I probably like the double live album the best. Excellent music and good value. (Usually about $15.)

Thanks Rob. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

P.S. Stay warm. I was born in Groton at the Naval base hospital. One day I hope to make it back up there for a visit, but it will have to be between Spring and Fall.

Jim Clark
12-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Really liked that Van Lear Rose disc by Loretta Lynn so I grabbed a copy for my Dad. He's getting a CDP for his truck and it's the perfect companion gift. Don't think I'm getting anyone else music this year, that's what I want-not what they want.

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2004, 05:56 PM
We should give some virtual music gifts this year. Pick a Rave Wrecker and tell us what you would give him or her to put under the tree. No cost gifts - what a concept!

Buying a CD for a Rave Wrecker? Isn't that like trying to think of what to buy the person who has everything????? Have you seen Stone's dining room?! :eek:

dph1965
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Faces - Five Guys walk into a Bar for my cuz.
Old Crow Medicine Show for one of his bandmates.
Jeff Buckley Grace "reissue" for myself.
I - Tunes Music Certificate to go w/ the I pod I'm giving my daughter...

RGA
12-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Sarah McLachlan DVD.

Yeah but umm keep Sarah don;t give her away - she's great.

I hate buying people music - just get some gift certificates - I could never buy a Spears album - it would do bad things to my charma - if you get them a gift certificate and they buy it hey it's not my fault. :D

Rob B in CT
01-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks Rob. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

P.S. Stay warm. I was born in Groton at the Naval base hospital. One day I hope to make it back up there for a visit, but it will have to be between Spring and Fall.

Dean: Thanks for the holiday wishes. Hope you had a good one, too. We've been enjoying a spell of weather in the 40's and 50's. I ended up getting my wife the new Alison Krauss for Christmas. Very good at first listen. Did you end up buying an AK disc as well?

dean_martin
01-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Dean: Thanks for the holiday wishes. Hope you had a good one, too. We've been enjoying a spell of weather in the 40's and 50's. I ended up getting my wife the new Alison Krauss for Christmas. Very good at first listen. Did you end up buying an AK disc as well?

I kind of blew my chance to score some points w/the wife by not getting her an AK cd. We've had a recent Oh Brother Where Art Thou revival at our house. Even though my wife only asked for the new Josh Grobin cd, she had made several comments about AK recently. I neglected to follow up on my instincts. I was going to get her either Live, or Forget About It based on your recommendations. Ironically, she bought the new one for our son for Christmas because SHE wanted to hear it. Everything's ok though - I scored some points with some other surprises.

We live about an hour from the Alabama Gulf Coast. We had some strange Christmas weather with sleet and a little bit of snow. A winter storm followed the coast line and came through from Mississippi. It was actually colder down here than it was in north Alabama.

Rob B in CT
01-06-2005, 02:59 PM
We've had a recent Oh Brother Where Art Thou revival at our house.

I should give the Oh Brother soundtrack a few more spins. Though I've owned it for quite a while, I haven't listened to it more than a couple times. Another disc that might suit your tastes is 'Livin', Lovin', Losin': Songs of the Louvin Brothers.' I picked it up originally due to a James Taylor and Alison Krauss duet on 'How's The World Treating You.' It turned out to be my favorite album of '03, with great performances by Patty Loveless, Pam Tillis, Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, and EmmyLou Harris, among others.

dean_martin
01-06-2005, 03:50 PM
I should give the Oh Brother soundtrack a few more spins. Though I've owned it for quite a while, I haven't listened to it more than a couple times. Another disc that might suit your tastes is 'Livin', Lovin', Losin': Songs of the Louvin Brothers.' I picked it up originally due to a James Taylor and Alison Krauss duet on 'How's The World Treating You.' It turned out to be my favorite album of '03, with great performances by Patty Loveless, Pam Tillis, Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, and EmmyLou Harris, among others.

WOW!! I was wondering whether there was a cd that compiled a bunch of Louvin Bros. songs. I've found a few covers by the Byrds (on Sweet Heart of the Rodeo) and Southern Culture on the Skids on their refined highbrow album Ditch Diggin'. You have to hear their version of Great Atomic Power. Thanks.

Rob B in CT
01-13-2005, 03:28 PM
WOW!! I was wondering whether there was a cd that compiled a bunch of Louvin Bros. songs. I've found a few covers by the Byrds (on Sweet Heart of the Rodeo) and Southern Culture on the Skids on their refined highbrow album Ditch Diggin'. You have to hear their version of Great Atomic Power. Thanks.

Dean: Thanks for the info on the Louvin covers by the Byrds and Southern Culture. I checked out samples on amazon, and they sounded pretty good.

DariusNYC
01-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Don't forget to check out the originals of these songs if you haven't yet. There's a great compilation (on Razor & Tie, I believe) called When I Stop Dreaming which was released a few years ago.

Rob B in CT
01-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Don't forget to check out the originals of these songs if you haven't yet. There's a great compilation (on Razor & Tie, I believe) called When I Stop Dreaming which was released a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip, Darius. I just added 'When I Stop Dreaming ' to my half.com wish list.