Monster HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monster HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter

Keith from Canada
12-14-2004, 06:24 AM
I am helping a friend build an HT system with a 44" Toshiba DLP set, an older Denon receiver and a full array of Paradigm monitor speakers. The salesman that sold this system to her managed to convince her to purchase the Monster HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter for $249 (Canadian) to ensure the best picture and sound quality. It has been a while but I've always been under the impression that Monster products are severely overpriced when compared to the competition. Is this another example of Monster selling a product that isn't really necessary or does this product have some merit.

BTW -- I plan to hook-up this system with and without this 'power-cleaner' to determine the difference for myself. I just want to know if anyone has any knowledge of this product to see if the salesman was trying to pull a fast one.

woodman
12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I am helping a friend build an HT system with a 44" Toshiba DLP set, an older Denon receiver and a full array of Paradigm monitor speakers. The salesman that sold this system to her managed to convince her to purchase the Monster HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter for $249 (Canadian) to ensure the best picture and sound quality. It has been a while but I've always been under the impression that Monster products are severely overpriced when compared to the competition. Is this another example of Monster selling a product that isn't really necessary or does this product have some merit.

BTW -- I plan to hook-up this system with and without this 'power-cleaner' to determine the difference for myself. I just want to know if anyone has any knowledge of this product to see if the salesman was trying to pull a fast one.

Hi there, Keith ... long time - no hear from you. Now to answer your question:

Hear me now and believe me later - any salesman, or any audiophile, or any videophile, or any anybody that tries to tell you that a "power conditioner" will make any meaningful improvement in the performance of devices or components that are connected to it has no understanding whatsoever of basic electronics as it pertains to product design ... period! End of conversation.

Those that claim that they have heard or seen otherwise, are simply the victims of their own ABEs. In other words, they themselves - by way of the attitudes and beliefs that they have chosen - are the actual creators of those realities (perceptions).

Do your friend a favor and return that overpriced thingamabob right away quick. If she lives where the electric utility is "flaky" with lots of surges and spikes, and/or where lightning storms are at all likely to happen, then some power protection of her system is not only a good idea, it's really mandatory. But ... and it's a good sized but, good protective devices (with insurance for the components connected to them) can be had for less than around $50-60 (USD). Get one from companies like Panamax or TrippLite. They'll do the job just fine, thank you.

Hope this helps you

Keith from Canada
12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Many thanks Woodman!

As you may recall, I've always been highly suspect of anything put out by MonsterCable in the past and I just shook my head when the freind of the family said OK to both the overpriced component cables and 'CleanPower' bar. I've always been of the mind that if the product is useful, there is a company that will sell it for considerably less than Monster.

I was especially concerned with this particular sales-pitch in which the guy was telling us that electrical interference comes from the outlet used in the home. I was always under the impression that, baring a really crappy power supply in the house, that interference was caused by poor shielding in the electonic components and/or cabling. I tried to convince her that it was a bad idea but, since it comes with a 30 day return guarantee, she opted to go with it.

That being said, I will hook her system up both with and without this powerbar and see for myself if there is any noticable difference. If all goes as expected, I will be telling her to return the bar ASAP.

Thanks for your advice Woodman and, as soon as I get serious about finishing my new basement and purchasing a projector and screen, I will be coming back around with lots of questions. As it stands now, I'm a little out of date with the new products on the market. Not as much time to go out and browse now that I have a beautiful baby girl (10 months old now...)

lattybuck
12-17-2004, 06:13 PM
If you need power controll, and most people do to some degree. A good one we use on computer equipment a lot is APS. We grabbed a few recently from SAMs Wholesale for $150.00 each. They were 1kv units with full battery UPS, power conditioning and a good replacement warranty. We have tested the warranty once when lightning has hit. The only time it effected us APS replaced the UPS without any problems. Numerous strikes hit that night. The UPS saved the server but after numerous hits one charge finally fried the UPS. The server was untouched. Should run all your stuff, TV and stereo, with one unit np. 1kv is a lot of power. I use one on my stuff at home. I live in what they call tornado ally. We have large storms regularly and have been hit a few times at home over the years. I never lost a thing. Usually dont even miss a commercial on the TV. They just keep on going like the everready bunny. lol
Just a thought.
Take care