New System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New System

meephis
12-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Looking at spending about $8,000 on an all new system, starting from scratch. Would consider stereo or home theatre. Is there anything in particular you guys would like to recommend? Am always open to your suggestions. :D THANX

drseid
12-14-2004, 03:13 AM
$8,000 is a pretty good sized budget. That, combined with the used market should give you some very nice results... One possible combination suggestion follows:

L/R Fronts -- Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System (includes bass modules) $3500/pr. used

Front Center -- Tyler Linbrook Center $1350 new with some negotiating with Ty

L/R Rears -- Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors with Tyler Model 1 stands $1100 used

Amplification -- Outlaw Audio 7 channel Power Amp $1159 B Stock (shipped through Outlaw)

Pre/Pro -- Outlaw Audio Model 950 $739 B Stock (shipped through Outlaw)

CD -- Denon 2910 DVD/DVD-A/SACD Player $400 used or B Stock

Note: I did not include a subwoofer, as I feel it really is not necessary with this setup.

The Tyler fronts go down to 25HZ (and below) with *authority*, and are lower than most subs ever dream of going. Also, very few subs have the ability to keep up with the Tylers... A couple of the few I know of that can are ACI's Titan and Maestro subs, but these would put you over budget (and I really again believe are not needed)...

This system should provide excellent performance, and near unbeatable bang for the buck, IMO.

BTW: If you need to shave off $200-$250 (to keep you under $8,000), you could substitute a used Denon 1600 CD/DVD/DVD-A Player for the 2910.

---Dave

meephis
12-14-2004, 11:10 AM
thanks for the suggestions & I am looking into it now. Did you have any recommendations for a two channel stereo also?

drseid
12-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System (includes bass modules) $3500/pr. used
(also worth considering are the Dali Helicon800s $4680/pr. used)

McCormack DNA 225 Stereo Power Amp $1520 (used)

McCormack RLD-1 Pre-Amp $980 (used)

Rega Jupiter CD $1050 (used)

---Dave

Geoffcin
12-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Looking at spending about $8,000 on an all new system, starting from scratch. Would consider stereo or home theatre. Is there anything in particular you guys would like to recommend? Am always open to your suggestions. :D THANX

I would reccomend a pair of Magnepan 3.6r speakers. In my opinion the true ribbon tweeter they use is possibly the best high frequancy driver ever made. Planar bass is as fast, and uncolored as bass can be.

Amplification is quite interesting with this speaker, as any good amp will display it's true caracter with them. I've heard this speaker driven with many amps from 200 watt ARCs tubes, to 50 watt Krell pure "A" power, to monster Classe 800 watt heavy iron. The differences were quite noticable, and all were wonderful, but different. I am currently using the PS Audio HCA-2 Hybrid amp with mine, and it's a great match.

Woochifer
12-14-2004, 06:57 PM
First off, how do you intend to use your system, and what are you actual NEEDS based on YOUR listening habits? If you don't get around to answering that question first, then anything that you buy could wind up as $8,000 worth of doorstops. For starters, there a huge difference between planning an $8,000 two-channel system versus an $8,000 home theater system. Again, what are YOUR priorities?

If you decide to go two channel, then you should look in the $5,000 range for speakers and devote the rest to amplification, sources, and accessories. With this kind of a budget, you're in great shape on speaker choices, and can consider a lot of the panel speakers and better full range floorstanding speakers out there.

With a multichannel setup, you got more of a balancing act. You can devote more budget to expand your speaker options to include panel and other low impedance speakers. But, by expanding the speaker budget, that limits your amplification to receivers, and a lot of them have difficulties with low impedance and panel speakers in a multichannel setup. If you want to go with multichannel separates, you're looking at a minimum budget for the processor and amp of at least $3,000. They can drive a wider range of speakers in a 5.1 configuration, but their higher cost obviously limits the speakers you can consider. Adding a subwoofer is also something to consider, especially if you go with bookshelf speakers. Also, you haven't indicated whether your budget needs to also include a DVD player and HDTV.

However, keep in mind that a system is a lot more than just plugging together a bunch of equipment. Planning and setting up a home theater system involves a lot more complexity and greater range of options than two-channel systems. The room arrangement and acoustical environment are already important with two-channel setups, but they take on even more significance with a multichannel setup, especially if you include a subwoofer.

With a budget like yours, you should budget some portion for the room acoustics, with things like bass traps, acoustic panels, and even acoustic testing of your room by a professional.

meephis
12-14-2004, 09:28 PM
If you decide to go two channel, then you should look in the $5,000 range for speakers and devote the rest to amplification, sources, and accessories. With this kind of a budget, you're in great shape on speaker choices, and can consider a lot of the panel speakers and better full range floorstanding speakers out there.

With a multichannel setup, you got more of a balancing act. You can devote more budget to expand your speaker options to include panel and other low impedance speakers. But, by expanding the speaker budget, that limits your amplification to receivers, and a lot of them have difficulties with low impedance and panel speakers in a multichannel setup. If you want to go with multichannel separates, you're looking at a minimum budget for the processor and amp of at least $3,000. They can drive a wider range of speakers in a 5.1 configuration, but their higher cost obviously limits the speakers you can consider. Adding a subwoofer is also something to consider, especially if you go with bookshelf speakers. Also, you haven't indicated whether your budget needs to also include a DVD player and HDTV.
You read my mind with that statement, I was looking at spending $5000 on speakers, and $3000 on preamp/amp system, if I went stereo of course. And as far as my tastes, I am pretty much even with my listening. I really like having a home theatre but I like to listen to music a little more often. And also to answer your question YES, with the Home Theatre the budget needs to include a HDTV and a DVD player, and if I went with the Home Theatre I would definitely want SACD playback also.

m1go1blue
12-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Here's what I would do with $8K:

Paradigm Reference 100 Mains $2250.00
Arcam FMJ A32 Integrated Amplifier $2499.00
Arcam FMJ P35 Power Amplifier $1699.00
(Bi-amp the A32+P35)
Arcam DiVA CD73T CD Player $699.00
Cabling $800 (10% rule)

Woochifer
12-17-2004, 02:29 PM
You read my mind with that statement, I was looking at spending $5000 on speakers, and $3000 on preamp/amp system, if I went stereo of course. And as far as my tastes, I am pretty much even with my listening. I really like having a home theatre but I like to listen to music a little more often. And also to answer your question YES, with the Home Theatre the budget needs to include a HDTV and a DVD player, and if I went with the Home Theatre I would definitely want SACD playback also.

With a home theater, your budget's now getting tight. Depending on the type of TV you're looking for (RPTV, projection, flat panel), an $8,000 budget can almost entirely go to the display alone. If you're willing to put up with a larger box on the floor, RPTVs or DLP TVs probably give you the best performance value right now. They generally sell in the $1,200 to $4,000 range.

Assuming that $2,000 goes to the HDTV, that leaves you with about $6,000 for the rest of the system. Now, you might be stuck with receivers as your amplification options, unless you're willing to go second hand or use a midlevel receiver as a preamp and add a two or three channel amp. Going with an outboard amp will allow you to consider more demanding speakers like Dynaudios and Magneplanars, because most receivers do not recommend driving a full set of low impedance speakers (they can handle two or maybe three, but anything beyond that can be a crapshoot depending on the receiver model you choose). Midlevel receivers typically cost $600 to $1,500, while good two-channel amps start in the $500 range and move up from there.

That leaves you with about $4,000 for the speakers. This is where you need to make a decision -- do you buy all at once or do you add incrementally? Just start listening to speakers and figure out the type of sound that you're looking for. It's pretty easy to blow $4k on the two main speakers alone. Don't be surprised if you prefer standmounted speakers because floorstanding speakers are generally prone to more issues. Floorstanders give you deeper bass, but they also can have problems with imaging and the deep bass might not be very even. A good compromise might be to budget $4k for the front three speakers together, and add the surround speakers if you have the budget. If not, then you can add the surrounds later on. Also, there's the subwoofer to consider. IMO, because of the extreme low frequency information getting mixed into the LFE tracks of DVDs, you might want to plan to add a subwoofer, even if you opt for floorstanding speakers.

The thing to do is to get out there and just look at what's available. Don't concentrate just on the national chains. Independents and specialty chains are typically who carry the higher end brands, so you should probably pay them a visit first.

drseid
12-18-2004, 04:34 AM
OK, now that I know you want to include the TV in the $8000 budget, I'll revise my recommedation to the one below:

Front L/R Speakers -- Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors on Tyler Model 1 Stands $1100/pr. used

Front Center Speaker -- Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor (ask Ty to have it magnetically shielded) $900 built new with minor negotiating with Ty

Rear R/L Speakers -- Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors on Tyler Model 1 Stands $1100/pr. used

Subwoofer -- ACI Titan $1200 new (in a wood finish)

Pre/Pro -- Outlaw Audio 950 $649 including shipping B Stock (the price was just reduced by Outlaw)

Power Amp -- 5 X 100 watt Rotel RB-985 $500 used

SACD/DVD-A/DVD/CD Player -- Denon 2910 $600 new

This leaves you just under $2000 to find a good Rear projection HDTV (any quality brand will do).

The new Tyler Acoustics speaker can be found through tyleracoustics.com

The Outlaw Pre/Pro can be found through outlawaudio.com

The ACI Subwoofer can be found through audioc.com

All of the used goods can be acquired through audiogon.com

Again, this system will cover both HT and music quite nicely.

Just for reference Meephis, I have seen your post inquiring about Paradigm and Definitive Tech (among others)... While both are quality brands that I respect (I even own many DT speakers and use them in my bedroom HT system), I would look at others in your price range as well as the main brands like those.

There are a lot of great bargains on the Internet (especially on the used speaker market) for some less well-known but super high quality brands, allowing you to afford some truly special speakers that may just blow the "big boys" out of the water. My advice is to listen to as many speakers as you can before making your decision.

As for *my* recs., they are mostly Internet only sales brands... But if you talk to people from the various Internet companies, they may be able to hook you up with an owner in your area so you can hear the speakers before investing any money (even if you are buying used).

Good luck,

---Dave