Compatability for SACD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compatability for SACD

ArdRi
12-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Sony DVP-NC875V (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002KQR1Y/102-1921956-3946517?SubscriptionId=1ZR45HD07ESXG1KFE682/102-1921956-3946517) I am looking for a mulit disc DVD/CD/CDR/SACD player. I have a Yamaha rx385 receiver. Will this Sony machine allow me to enjoy the Super Audio from me SACD's with my rx385 and if not can anyone recomend what will.

Wireworm5
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Okay, from what I understand the Sacd only works on your receiver if it has a multi-channel mode. When I hook my Sony DVD-Sacd player I wasn't getting any sound until I changed the input to 6 channel input. So the real question is, does this receiver have the 5.1 inputs on the back panel ? If not then you need to move up to a model that has this feature.
Once connected the SACD player will process the signal bypassing the receivers processor.

eqm
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Okay, from what I understand the Sacd only works on your receiver if it has a multi-channel mode. When I hook my Sony DVD-Sacd player I wasn't getting any sound until I changed the input to 6 channel input. So the real question is, does this receiver have the 5.1 inputs on the back panel ? If not then you need to move up to a model that has this feature.
Once connected the SACD player will process the signal bypassing the receivers processor.

SACD is a format that will work through ANY analog inputs on the receiver, ALTHOUGH to receive the full 5.1 signal (and not all SACDs are 5.1), you will need to hook the player into a 5.1 external input (i think known as the 6-channel input on the yammies). Please understand that to get an SACD signal from the player, you will have to use ANALOG interconnects; neither digital optical nor coax send the SACD signal to the receiver.

Hope this helps

markw
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
SACD is a format that will work through ANY analog inputs on the receiver, ALTHOUGH to receive the full 5.1 signal (and not all SACDs are 5.1), you will need to hook the player into a 5.1 external input (i think known as the 6-channel input on the yammies). Please understand that to get an SACD signal from the player, you will have to use ANALOG interconnects; neither digital optical nor coax send the SACD signal to the receiver.

Hope this helpsToo many people nowadays equate "SACD" with "muiti channel" and this just ain't the case. There are quite a few SACD titles that are only available in two channels. In fact, I'd say this is true for most of them.

All these require is a standard analog interconnect from the SACD player to any line level input on a receiver/amp.

N. Abstentia
12-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Yes, imagine my surprise when my Peter Gabriel SACD arrived and it was only 2 CHANNEL! Plus there's no hybrid layer :(

Guess I'm spoiled by the other 10 or so SACD's that all have these features. No biggie, though. The 2 channel sounds great also.

JohnBee
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
I would recommend a combo dvd-audio/sacd. there are many disks that i enjoy in each format. i would really miss "riding with the king" if i didnt have a dvd-audio player. even more so i would miss "dark side of the moon" if i didnt have a sacd player.

ArdRi
12-16-2004, 07:09 AM
I would recommend a combo dvd-audio/sacd. there are many disks that i enjoy in each format. i would really miss "riding with the king" if i didnt have a dvd-audio player. even more so i would miss "dark side of the moon" if i didnt have a sacd player.

How about a recomendation for a DVD-Audio/SACD player.As of now i have two SACD's;Dark Side of the Moon and Telarc's J S Bach The Complete Orchestral Suits.
An article i read asserted it likely only one of these two enhancing formats will endure though no time frame was prognosticated.I agree that it would be a drag to find yourself limited to one format when you find something you like exists only in the other.If i went with the combo player is the connection/compatability requirement the same as with the SACD? If my Yammie can play a two channel SACD on an equipped player if only in two channel then will the DVD-Audio require any imput connection lacking in my x385?

woodman
12-16-2004, 12:51 PM
An article i read asserted it likely only one of these two enhancing formats will endure though no time frame was prognosticated.I agree that it would be a drag to find yourself limited to one format when you find something you like exists only in the other.If i went with the combo player is the connection/compatability requirement the same as with the SACD? If my Yammie can play a two channel SACD on an equipped player if only in two channel then will the DVD-Audio require any imput connection lacking in my x385?

The article you read is flat-out wrong, IMO. It was undoubtedly written by someone with "just enough knowledge to make them dangerous". The appearance and (even more importantly) - the proliferation of multi-format players virtually assures that both SACD and DVD-Audio will survive and prosper ... there's no earthly reason for either to fade away into the scrap-heap like Beta-format VCRs did. There was no way to economically produce a multi-format VCR that would accomodate both Beta and VHS. The engineering needed to make such a machine would've mandated a stratospheric pricetag that absolutely no one (other than possibly Bill Gates) would have been willing to pay. So, it was inevitable that one had to go. Such is simply not the case with the two Hi-Rez audio formats, as the introduction of multi-format players at very reasonable prices makes abundantly clear.

Your Yammie will play both formats with a simple analog audio connection (into any available stereo input on your receiver) ... letting the player's DACs do the conversion of digital-to-analog - although it will be limited to plain two-channel "stereo". In order to hear the multi-channel sound that's available on some SACDs and on most DVD-Audios, you'll need an A/V receiver with a dedicated 6-channel input on it's backside. But, as far as I know, most multi-channel discs either have a 2-channel stereo version built-in, or the player will incorporate the necessary circuitry to "mix" the multiple channels of sound down into a 2-channel stereo version. This is something you'll need to verify on the particular model you're considering buying - unless you're also ready to invest in a new A/V receiver at the same time, or soon after.

Bottom line? By all means, buy a multi-format player ... don't let anyone try to tell you to pick and choose one format or the other one, 'cause the "other one" will not survive. Don't believe that nonsense for even a minute. I have no specific recommendation on a player for you to buy ... choose whichever one appeals to you for whatever reason. I would however, highly recommend that you also buy an extended warranty on the unit you do choose to buy - whatever the make or model.

Hope this clears up any confusion you might still have -

ArdRi
12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
The article you read is flat-out wrong, IMO. It was undoubtedly written by someone with "just enough knowledge to make them dangerous". The appearance and (even more importantly) - the proliferation of multi-format players virtually assures that both SACD and DVD-Audio will survive and prosper ... there's no earthly reason for either to fade away into the scrap-heap like Beta-format VCRs did. There was no way to economically produce a multi-format VCR that would accomodate both Beta and VHS. The engineering needed to make such a machine would've mandated a stratospheric pricetag that absolutely no one (other than possibly Bill Gates) would have been willing to pay. So, it was inevitable that one had to go. Such is simply not the case with the two Hi-Rez audio formats, as the introduction of multi-format players at very reasonable prices makes abundantly clear.

Your Yammie will play both formats with a simple analog audio connection (into any available stereo input on your receiver) ... letting the player's DACs do the conversion of digital-to-analog - although it will be limited to plain two-channel "stereo". In order to hear the multi-channel sound that's available on some SACDs and on most DVD-Audios, you'll need an A/V receiver with a dedicated 6-channel input on it's backside. But, as far as I know, most multi-channel discs either have a 2-channel stereo version built-in, or the player will incorporate the necessary circuitry to "mix" the multiple channels of sound down into a 2-channel stereo version. This is something you'll need to verify on the particular model you're considering buying - unless you're also ready to invest in a new A/V receiver at the same time, or soon after.

Bottom line? By all means, buy a multi-format player ... don't let anyone try to tell you to pick and choose one format or the other one, 'cause the "other one" will not survive. Don't believe that nonsense for even a minute. I have no specific recommendation on a player for you to buy ... choose whichever one appeals to you for whatever reason. I would however, highly recommend that you also buy an extended warranty on the unit you do choose to buy - whatever the make or model.

Hope this clears up any confusion you might still have -

Yes that is as concise and exhaustive a reply as i could want. Thank you. I only asked about brands becasue i actually hadn't seen asingle model yet which plays both formats and thought someone may have. I'll keep my eyes open .

E-Stat
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
An article i read asserted it likely only one of these two enhancing formats will endure...
There is likely a certain truth to that statement especially since there is yet another format on the horizon intended for HD video. As woodman pointed out, however, both formats use essentially the same media using the same transports but incorporating different encoding algorithms (DSD vs PCM). The cost to provide both decoders is minimal.

Only at the high end will you find benefits to single purpose decoders such as with the superlative Meitner SACD stuff.

rw

eqm
12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Yes that is as concise and exhaustive a reply as i could want. Thank you. I only asked about brands becasue i actually hadn't seen asingle model yet which plays both formats and thought someone may have. I'll keep my eyes open .

denon, yamaha, pioneer elite, marantz, and toshiba should all have models available that play both.

woodman
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes that is as concise and exhaustive a reply as i could want. Thank you.

You're welcome ... thanks for the thank you.

I only asked about brands becasue i actually hadn't seen asingle model yet which plays both formats and thought someone may have. I'll keep my eyes open .

I did some research for you and found that there are more than 40 models on the market that play both formats. While a good portion of them are from the so-called "high-end" with prices in the thousands, there are also a number of units in what could loosely be called a "reasonable price range" with prices in only the hundreds. There are even 3 models that are multi-disc changers besides being multi-format.

Here's a list (including the MSRP - which few items in consumer electronics actually ever sell for):
Denon DVD-955S ($729)
" DVD-2910 ($679)
Integra DPC-8.5 ($700) (a 6 disc changer)
" DPC-6.5 ($500)
Marantz DV7500 ($999)
" DV6500 ($599)
Mitsubishi DD-8050 ($229)
Onkyo DV-SP800 ($700)
" DV-CP802 ($500) (a 6 disc changer)
" DV-SP502 ($300)
Pioneer DV-45a ($700)
" DV-578a ($200)
Samsung DVD-HD941 ($350)
" DVD-HD841 ($250)
Toshiba SD-6915 ($179) (a 5 disc changer)
" SD-4960 ($150)
Yamaha DVD-S2300Mk2 ($999)
" DV-S5770 ($449)
" DVD-S1500 ($449)

In addition to playing both DVD-Audio and SACD discs, all of the above are also DVD players (for playing recorded movies).

Hope tis helps you -