Just added a new TT me system... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just added a new TT me system...

thepogue
12-13-2004, 08:36 AM
just picked up a Linn LP12 Valhalla Basik Plus w/Grado Gold cart. which replaced a Tech 1700 II. Having lots of fun w/her but they are sure worlds apart as far as footfall and set-up. I'm guessing I'm 75 % as far as set-up goes and will need to get a friend of mine to come in and finish her off...but I won't know till he gets here to figure how far I am off. As far as sound shes a very very sweet TT and quite a bit more refined in the top end (or so it seems). Shes a good one to be sure.

Peace, Pogue

E-Stat
12-13-2004, 03:16 PM
just picked up a Linn LP12 Valhalla Basik Plus w/Grado Gold cart. which replaced a Tech 1700 II. Having lots of fun w/her but they are sure worlds apart as far as footfall and set-up.
Congratulations on acquiring what is a legendary deck. I used a similarly designed Ariston table for nearly thirty years. It does take some time to adjust the inner suspension.

rw

thepogue
12-13-2004, 03:48 PM
maybe someday I'll havea shweet set of "stats" to go 'long wiff them!...lol

Peace, Pogue

risabet
01-01-2005, 10:23 PM
I am a long time Linn user (15 to 17 years). If you are having footfall problems with your Linn you need to place it on a small, light table. An audio rack has an enormous mechanical advantage over the table and defeats the suspension. If you must keep it on an audio rack get the Trampolin base for the table. Don't mess around with set-up. Have a qualified technician set up your table. It will be done correctly and will stay set up.

thepogue
01-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I think I've pretty much taken care of the footfall issue just by adjusting the arm properly...(or closer to what it should be). I'm still thinking I'm not getting 100% from the table but it's getting there....I'm still not sure if the cartridge is properly affixed to the arm what I mean is the two slots where the cart. bolts to...I'm attaching a photo (its not my cart) but its set all the way back like mine is...I'm not at all suggesting that it's wrong..just wondering as to the proper insallation. Thanks again, Peace, Pogue

risabet
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
The set up may be right and it may be wrong. You need to either get a decent set up gauge to set overhang, offset, and tracking angle or take your table to a decent set up person to get it set up correctly. I have been using this table a long time, am very mechanically oriented and I still don't set up my own LP12. You won't get the best from this deck without proper set up. Any qualified set up person should be able to set it up so it stays set up for 2-3 years or until you change cartidges. Any Qualified dealer should also set up any cartridges you buy from them. :)

Umrswimr
01-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Congrats on your new table, pogue!

thepogue
01-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Nice to see you ole friend.....long time no see!!! hope things on your end are fine...we're doing well here in ole vir'ginny...enjoying the vinyl adventure and hoping to get the TT set up 100% at some point...

talk to you soon!!! Peace, Pogue

Resident Loser
01-18-2005, 10:01 AM
...addition...now pardon me while I continue to LMAO...

Laff-laff-lafff..."qualified technician"...oh, I can't breathe he!!, it's well nigh impossible to get qualified people to do important things like tune-up and adjust you oil-burner correctly much less a TT...

If you spent what I guess you did on the TT, you made a commitment...get the requred gauges/protractors and learn how to DIY it...otherwise it's like bringing your guitar in to a "qualified technician" to have the strings changed...

jimHJJ(...good listening...)

thepogue
01-19-2005, 05:55 AM
ok..for starts...what do you think I paid for the TT...no cheatin' (by reading me last posts) just guess. now as far as setting a oil burner up...I do that meself...filters, new nozzle, set electrodes.....but a turntable...I'm lost. And you mentioned guitar stringing...I was really shocked back in the day when I played me first gig backing up a bigger named band and saw they had guitar techs that strung and set up all the axes for the band! I never made it to the point where I could afford a tech but its pretty common among full-timers but not so among hackers like me! ;) sooooo I say all that to say this...I'm a dope and I have fingers like polish sauages so I'll need to watch someone set-up a table first then I'll have a bit more understanding. I'm told that a good set-up takes a couple hours and when I look @ me TT I wouldn't know where to start...I have read abit on-line but as stated I'm a show-me kinda learner so until I get ta see I'll not be pullin out me vicegrips to set-up the TT...

now back to the show!!

Peace out, Pogue

Resident Loser
01-19-2005, 07:15 AM
...would oftimes say "sauszeech his own"...

I doubt that you are a "dope" and I can't imagine you would pull out even the smallest pair of Vise-grips to do work on something more suited to jewelers screwdrivers and tweezers...

Price? Haven't a clue...the minute I read Linn or certain other names, I reason that it's probably much more than I paid for my Philips 212 back in 1970-whatever...

But anywho, I'm a hands-on kinda' guy myself...everything from faucet washers to vehicle maintenance and home improvement...as far as the old collection of git-fiddles? Did it all...from changing strings, adjusting intonation, replacing bridges and nuts, retro-fitting electronics, woodwork and refinsfhing...although I need a fret job on my D18 and I still screwin'-up the moxie to do THAT...As far as resident "guitar techs", IME most of the "pros" couldn't be bothered with the minutiae...quite typical behavior.

In this day and age, I trust very few people to do anything correctly, which is why I rely on my own patience and abilities to do things...nothing ventured, nothing gained...I approach most things as a learning experience. Perhaps luckily, and since I do as much research as I can on any given task, there have been no unpleasant surprises...things may take a while, but they do get done. In most cases better than some "professional" work I have seen....my recent fascia and soffit work comes to mind...

I have found the majority of sales personnel severely lacking in product familiarity, from cars to hi-fi gear...so when folks recommend seeking assistance from those who are more than likely "salesmen" it hands me a laff...however if you know someone you can trust, who happens to be a hardware geek, by all means do it...

And that's just my basic approach to just about everything...

jimHJJ(...enjoy the vinyl frontier...)

thepogue
01-19-2005, 08:05 AM
I won't make you repeat the soffit story but I can just imagine..lmao... and as far as the rock weenies...I'm sure your correct they have wayyyy too much goin' on in the green-room to be fussin' wiff strings!!..lol...ahhh...the life of Brian...and here goes the mystery price fer the Linn...700 clams and although i wasn't at all hunting for a new TT (I had a Tech 1700 mkII) this seemed like a pretty good deal so I jumped....how much better it is I'm not quite sure....I'll let you know over a Sam Adams someday!!

Peace-out, Pogue

Ray H
01-21-2005, 12:19 AM
When I bought my Rega Planar 3 and a Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge from a well known online "needle" place - which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty, it came with cartridge professionally pre-installed. According to Rega's cardboard protractor and Shure's own "presentation" case-protractor gauge the overhang was more than 3/16" off ! The down force was set to an actual 3 1/2 gm at the stylus tip, too, ("stabilizer" retracted) according to the Shure balance beam I had on hand. So much for "professional installation"... I realize I didn't have an option for VTA with the RB-300, but setting the down force (statically, no less with the Shure balance beam) to 1 1/4 gm and resetting the overhang (went with the Shure overhang gauge since it adhere's to the Baerwold protocol) were not that hard. Fortunately I discovered the gross downforce error before overloading the cantilever by setting the stylus down on a record. "thepogue", you might reconsider "Resident Loser"'s advice. This really isn't rocket science. And, the Grado Gold is forgiving in that much of the initial work can be undertaken with the stylus demounted for peace of mind. Now, maybe with a $13,000.00 Clearaudio Insider Wood MC, it might've been another matter... (like the difference between removing a splinter in your finger with tweezers vs. ophthalmic micro-surgery to remove a pre-retinal macular degeneration membrane)

thepogue
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
the guy I got the TT from has the 18k model (dont really know the model name but it looks like a spaceship and it just about the same size as one) in his home system along with Linn CD and DAC.... he just picked up the new Mark Levinson reference pre (I think that cost 9K) and he's running some Krell's for amps he also runs full array of Revel speakers for his HT... so when he tells me he'll come over and set the TT for zip.....and it will only take a "few hours" I think I'll stick with me gut and and be patient and let him do what he does for a livng...now in the mean time if his house catchs on fire...or he has a medical issue...then he'll need to call ME and I'll do what I do for a livng...one last point..if a friend came to my home and told me "hey I set-up my TT and it wasn't that hard, want me to set-yours up".....I'd have to pass and wait for someone whos a Linn owner and dealer....no question I'll be much better off not hacking around meself and just learning from a pro. BTW this dealer is a close friend of mine and trusting him is not at all an issue...

As is now my TT sounds very good...I'll let you know how she sounds after he does his thing...until then if I get the notion to tinker I'll build a birdhouse...I just don't want to bluejays crappin' on my TT.

Peace and Patients, Pogue

risabet
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
When I bought my Rega Planar 3 and a Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge from a well known online "needle" place - which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty, it came with cartridge professionally pre-installed. According to Rega's cardboard protractor and Shure's own "presentation" case-protractor gauge the overhang was more than 3/16" off ! The down force was set to an actual 3 1/2 gm at the stylus tip, too, ("stabilizer" retracted) according to the Shure balance beam I had on hand. So much for "professional installation"... I realize I didn't have an option for VTA with the RB-300, but setting the down force (statically, no less with the Shure balance beam) to 1 1/4 gm and resetting the overhang (went with the Shure overhang gauge since it adhere's to the Baerwold protocol) were not that hard. Fortunately I discovered the gross downforce error before overloading the cantilever by setting the stylus down on a record. "thepogue", you might reconsider "Resident Loser"'s advice. This really isn't rocket science. And, the Grado Gold is forgiving in that much of the initial work can be undertaken with the stylus demounted for peace of mind. Now, maybe with a $13,000.00 Clearaudio Insider Wood MC, it might've been another matter... (like the difference between removing a splinter in your finger with tweezers vs. ophthalmic micro-surgery to remove a pre-retinal macular degeneration membrane)

Setting overhang, offset, and VTF are relatively simple even for the ham-handed, but setting up a fully suspended table such as an LP-12 involves setting the sub-chassis at the right resonance freq, and setting it to move with a purely vertical bounce, adjustments of these two motions affect the speed so that needs to be adjusted also. The Linn needs to be worked on from underneath in order to adjust the springs and grommets of the suspension. Without the proper tools, such as the set-up table that holds the TT in place while you tip it back and forth you end up putting your unit on books or bricks or what have you. <p>So, if you want to set the OH anf VTF of your table, buy the right tools and have at it, on the other hand if you want your deck to have the best sound possible, have the suspension set up properly, find someone who knows what they're doing, someone trained by Linn Products to do the job correctly.

dean_martin
01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Setting overhang, offset, and VTF are relatively simple even for the ham-handed, but setting up a fully suspended table such as an LP-12 involves setting the sub-chassis at the right resonance freq, and setting it to move with a purely vertical bounce, adjustments of these two motions affect the speed so that needs to be adjusted also. The Linn needs to be worked on from underneath in order to adjust the springs and grommets of the suspension. Without the proper tools, such as the set-up table that holds the TT in place while you tip it back and forth you end up putting your unit on books or bricks or what have you. <p>So, if you want to set the OH anf VTF of your table, buy the right tools and have at it, on the other hand if you want your deck to have the best sound possible, have the suspension set up properly, find someone who knows what they're doing, someone trained by Linn Products to do the job correctly.

Almost everything I've read about the Linn Sondek LP12 recommends dealer/professional setup. I was surprised at Michael Fremer's review in Stereophile (http://stereophile.com/analogsourcereviews/1103linn/) where he stated that a dealer set up his review sample but he didn't pay much attention to the setup process. I didn't think he stressed the importance of professional setup as vehemently as other reviewers. Anyhow, since it don't have no diesel engine and operate on a farm I'm staying away. Ain't no one in these parts can set one up properly!

thepogue
01-23-2005, 06:05 AM
guess I'm a farm-boy at heart!!

Peace-out, Pogue

JoeE SP9
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
I think I've pretty much taken care of the footfall issue just by adjusting the arm properly...(or closer to what it should be). I'm still thinking I'm not getting 100% from the table but it's getting there....I'm still not sure if the cartridge is properly affixed to the arm what I mean is the two slots where the cart. bolts to...I'm attaching a photo (its not my cart) but its set all the way back like mine is...I'm not at all suggesting that it's wrong..just wondering as to the proper insallation. Thanks again, Peace, Pogue

Go to www.needledoctor.com. You need a stylus protractor to properly align the cartridge in your tone arm. You may also need to adjust for stylus rake angle and vertical tracking angle. I have been using a DB Systems stylus protractor for 25+ years. The protractor along with a Shure SFG-1, the Discwasher system, Alsop orbitrac and along with a buddy a Record Doctor vacuum cleaner have made my 30 year old records very playable. I bought my first LP in 1967. I still play that LP. It is Aretha Franklin's I Never Loved A Man.

jbangelfish
01-29-2005, 09:39 AM
I knew there was a fireman around here somewhere.
Anyway, I'm glad to see so many here buying new/used turntables. This forum seemed so HT and CD oriented that I haven't even looked here in months.
I too, joined the new turntable club with a VPI HW 19 III from hifitommy. I lusted after a Linn LP12 since the 70's but am very happy with the VPI. It is actually alot easier to set up than an LP12 and that's good for me. Like Linn, you can spend a fortune on upgrades but at the MK III level, it's a very fine rig. Maybe I'll look into the final upgrade and SAMA at some point but I could listen to it this way for a long time.
Mine came with SME IV tonearm and is actually why I bought it in the first place, one helluva tonearm. I've had some issues with the arm, cartridge mounting, headshell leads etc. and am still sorting out problems. All my own doing as I'm no technician either. There just doesn't happen to be any qualified techs anywhere near my home. Maybe Chicago which is 80mi or maybe Madison WI, 50mi. We have not had a decent stereo shop in my area for over 10 years. Maybe a nice little biz for me to retire to, who knows.
Pogue, if I were you, I'd do exactly what you are doing and wait for your experienced pal to set up the LP 12, it's a fidgety gadget and can be badly muffed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I'm sure that you could learn to do it yourself but watching someone else do it first seems like a good choice. Also, if I were you, I'd look into a wall mounted shelf as I think it's the only way to go with a Linn. AR's, Linns and many others are very springy suspensions and a wall mount is a very simple solution. I plan to do the same for my VPI. Congrats on your purchase, enjoy.
Bill

thepogue
01-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm glad to be back playin' vinyl it's very enjoyable and buying used vinyl is a ball ifr you looking for some older lp's pm me I'll send you a list of LP's I got.....so your a fire-dawg also?...where are you on the job?..I'm a station capt. at the yorktown weapon station in virginia...been on the job going on 27 years (whew i feel old ;) lol...but we are a PROUD lot now aren't we!!..ok brudda nice to see you again and be safe!! Pogue

I knew there was a fireman around here somewhere.
Anyway, I'm glad to see so many here buying new/used turntables. This forum seemed so HT and CD oriented that I haven't even looked here in months.
I too, joined the new turntable club with a VPI HW 19 III from hifitommy. I lusted after a Linn LP12 since the 70's but am very happy with the VPI. It is actually alot easier to set up than an LP12 and that's good for me. Like Linn, you can spend a fortune on upgrades but at the MK III level, it's a very fine rig. Maybe I'll look into the final upgrade and SAMA at some point but I could listen to it this way for a long time.
Mine came with SME IV tonearm and is actually why I bought it in the first place, one helluva tonearm. I've had some issues with the arm, cartridge mounting, headshell leads etc. and am still sorting out problems. All my own doing as I'm no technician either. There just doesn't happen to be any qualified techs anywhere near my home. Maybe Chicago which is 80mi or maybe Madison WI, 50mi. We have not had a decent stereo shop in my area for over 10 years. Maybe a nice little biz for me to retire to, who knows.
Pogue, if I were you, I'd do exactly what you are doing and wait for your experienced pal to set up the LP 12, it's a fidgety gadget and can be badly muffed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I'm sure that you could learn to do it yourself but watching someone else do it first seems like a good choice. Also, if I were you, I'd look into a wall mounted shelf as I think it's the only way to go with a Linn. AR's, Linns and many others are very springy suspensions and a wall mount is a very simple solution. I plan to do the same for my VPI. Congrats on your purchase, enjoy.
Bill

jbangelfish
01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Been on the job 24 years and am a driver/engineer Eng. 4, slowest co in town, about 1350 runs a yr. We act here and am in charge for first half of the year til LT gets back from surgery. Just got put out to pasture after 10 years on extrication co.
Anyway, glad to see you enjoying your vinyl, I've been enjoying mine since the 50's, as a little kid listening to my dad's classics. I began buying LP's in the 60's (first LP, Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood) seem's like a f'n joke now. Never stopped buying and have around 4,000 LP's. About the only thing left on my want list is some original Parlophone Beatles and maybe a few current ones that I only have on CD. Only have maybe 150 CD's and don't care if I never have any more.
Take care bro,
Bill