Quest Speaker Noise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quest Speaker Noise

joel2762
12-16-2003, 06:34 AM
Hey Everyone,
I own a pair of Quest Q610's. Very nice speakers...I noticed, that from one of them, when I play my bass tests, or music that has alot of bass, there is a strange noise. Not like the woofer is maxing out or anything, it's like a type of wind noise...I looked in the port and saw that some of the inside batting was stuck up. I figured this was the problem, so I took out the woofer (very nice inside), fixed the batting..Still heard the sound...So I checked again and it appears that the noise is coming from the woofer itself :S down where the spider is., or under that. It must be a defect or something. There's nothing really I can do with the woofer...What gives? Anyone know what's going on?

markw
12-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Ported speakers, when driven hard, are subject to "port noise" or "chuffing". This is a high volume of air being forced out of the port and is common to many ported speakers when driven very hard.

If it is indeed eminatng from the driver and not the port, then you've got other problems. Check your warranty.

joel2762
12-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Yep there are problems. They are still covered by warranty...They still sound fine. This is only noticable when I listen to music with a lot of bass but no, guitars, etc to cover the noise. I can't figure out why it's doing it but oh well it's not too bad.