Help! My AV Reciever turns off randomly! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! My AV Reciever turns off randomly!

Lunar636
12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey, I'm a novice in terms of audio's and speaker systems. I just bought a Onkyo HT-S670 home theater system. After setting it up I tested it out by playing "Bourne Supremecy" nd it worked great! But today my Reciever seems to randomly turn off. For some reason whenever I try to play any kind of dvd or play a video game with my surround sound without turning down my sound to around 30, my system turns of into standby after about a minute. The weird part is that if I keep the sound pretty low, it won't turn off, or if I change it to stereo instead of Dolby D or Pro Logic. The stanby red light also starts to blink when it randomly turns off. I tried calling Onkyo but the wait time was wayyy too long and I hung up. I'm hoping one of you could help me solve this problem! Thanks alot!

(P.S. I changed the outlet from which the reciever gets it's power but the problem still occurs. The model number for the reciever is HT-R420)

ericl
12-12-2004, 04:44 PM
I think some of the electronics experts should probably take this one, but..

What kind of speakers do you have in your surround config? are all five the same type? or are they all different? If they're different each can present a different load to the receiver, and when you start to push the volume, the receiver will - not to get too techical about it - freak out.

As I said I'm not an expert, this is just my guess. You'd want to look at the impedance of each speaker (4ohm, 8ohm, etc) and see if they all match. If you bought them as a set, then thats probably not the problem.

-Eric

Lunar636
12-12-2004, 05:18 PM
yea I bought a home theater in a box. Like I said I'm a novice and I don't know that much about HT systems. Thanks for your help anyway though... hopefully someone else knows why my AV reciever is acting all weird. (could it be that the "Amplifier protection circuitry" was activated? If that really is the case, anyone know how to avoid/fix that problem?)

mustang
12-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Sounds to me like you have a faulty connection at one of your rear speakers. Shut down your system and check all connections at the receiver and the speakers.