Radio 4-Stealing Of A Nation: It's really not that bad [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Radio 4-Stealing Of A Nation: It's really not that bad

Jim Clark
12-11-2004, 07:28 PM
After hearing a preview version of this album it just flew up to numero uno on my to buy list. I'd been holding off due to AMG savage protrayal of this effort but I'm here to tell you that it isn't as bad as they state. Not only that, I'll go so far as to state that I love it.

Things were looking bad when AMG begin their diatribe with this first sentence: "Sometimes all the blame for a disaster can be traced to a simple bad decision." Disaster? Not hardly. Basically it boils down to the fact that this critic reduces this album down to what he calls a cold and calculating decision. Sure it's slicker than snot on a hot rail, that's the appeal. I personally don't think that in order to be cool that an album is required to be recorded to four track in a heroin addict's bedroom. This album exudes an invigorating dance floor vibe that starts early and ends late. I don't see the harm in getting a little hyped up on the ride to work. Oh, but there's an egregious use of synths, something that can't happen and remain indie. Oh well, I like it.

Lyrically I can agree that perhaps the songs aren't especially strong. They don't inspire me to greatness or answer any of life's perplexing problems. If you require that out of your entertainment, this will fall way short. If you just want catchy, danceable post punk bliss that is a bit poppy, it will be enough to make you smile and bounce along.

RIYL Interpol although this is much brighter, or perhaps a better comparison would be The Stills.

jc

audiobill
12-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Sure it's slicker than snot on a hot rail, that's the appeal. I personally don't think that in order to be cool that an album is required to be recorded to four track in a heroin addict's bedroom.

jc

Hey, Jim.

I absolutely love your two sentences in your review, above. Had me howling with tears running down my face, on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Well said.

audiobill

Finch Platte
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey, Jim.

I absolutely love your two sentences in your review, above. Had me howling with tears running down my face, on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Well said.

audiobill

Wouldn't snot on a hot rail dry up quickly and not be slick?

Nice to compare this same post both here and on Obner. Quite a diff, eh, Jim?

fp

Mike
12-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Just checked out some samples and apart for the first two tracks I like what I hear with a Stills/Clash upbeat sound that appeals to me.

I can hear the punky undertones which I guess if you like the band and have previous stuff it might leave you a little disappointed but having never heard them before it will do for me.

On another note comparing the number of responses here and at Obner its a little sad. I'm as guilty as anybody for not always chiming in but I do always look in. It would be a real shame if this little community just drifted away, so I'm going to make more of an effort from now on.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
12-13-2004, 05:46 AM
Wouldn't snot on a hot rail dry up quickly and not be slick?

Nice to compare this same post both here and on Obner. Quite a diff, eh, Jim?

fp

I'm all about jacking up the post count at both joints! My count is low at obner since I don't pad it with witty replies like this:

Bite Me!

jc

Jim Clark
12-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Just checked out some samples and apart for the first two tracks I like what I hear with a Stills/Clash upbeat sound that appeals to me.

I can hear the punky undertones which I guess if you like the band and have previous stuff it might leave you a little disappointed but having never heard them before it will do for me.

On another note comparing the number of responses here and at Obner its a little sad. I'm as guilty as anybody for not always chiming in but I do always look in. It would be a real shame if this little community just drifted away, so I'm going to make more of an effort from now on.

Cheers
Mike

Different audience but I think this place is way, way better. Although the traffic is about 10 times lower here, the maturity level is higher by the same measure (but it may be just a handful of prolific posters accounting for this). Another fact, I haven't made a single online friend at the other joint despite some reasonable efforts on my part. This place is much more personable and the reason I can't forsee leaving. All told there isn't very much music talk at the other place as a quick glance can attest to at pretty much any point. They do have one feature that rules-the Clever Cactus network that lets you d/l stuff just to hear and see if it's worth buying. Worked out good for me but has led to massive expenditures and truth be told I've got too many CDs to listen to and several I haven't listened to at all yet.

nobody
12-13-2004, 07:27 AM
personally don't think that in order to be cool that an album is required to be recorded to four track in a heroin addict's bedroom.

jc

Absolutely agree with this. I think some folks get way too excited about crappy recordings. I'm willing to overlook it if I really love the music, but I don't give bonus points for not knowing how to hook up recording gear and would be inclined to detract points for intentionally making a recording sound like crap. It's not rocket science to make sure your gear works, hook it up correctly, and set the levels. Any town has at least a few guys who can master the thing decently and cheaply. I've seen plenty of drug addled losers at least be able to get the basics right.

Oh, and don't worry Jimbo, the 80s retro thing has just gotten into the early 80s post punk stage right now, give it another couple years and it will progress until slickly produced synth pop rules again. Then, you can tell everyone how ahead of the curve you were.