Can I "Mute" when burning-in? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I "Mute" when burning-in?

iceblue8
12-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering, would it still be effective to burn-in your equipment while using the "mute" button? I doubt it'll work, since no current will be running in when the "mute" is on, right? Let me know if I'm right or wrong, people. Also, if anyone can explain why equipments need burn-in and how does it work, it'll be awesome. Thanks.

DrJeff
12-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering, would it still be effective to burn-in your equipment while using the "mute" button? I doubt it'll work, since no current will be running in when the "mute" is on, right? Let me know if I'm right or wrong, people. Also, if anyone can explain why equipments need burn-in and how does it work, it'll be awesome. Thanks.

Equipment needs burn-in to get all the residual demons out of the system. See, when the factory builds a component, evil gremlins jump into the electronics through the soldering irons, and wait there to make your system sound "harsh." After a while, the current flowing through the system kills them, and your system will sound "mellow, with extended mids, clearer highs, and better soundstage."

OK, seriously, burn-in is in my opinion a load of crap in most cases. With today's solid-state devices, there is no reason to have to burn-in anything. One could argue the point with a mechanical device such as a speaker, that the driver is a little stiff out of the box and that with continued play, the surround and cone will move a little more freely and respond better, but your results may vary. Fire up your system, have fun, and if it sounds even better after 100 hrs of use, more power to you.

yakkosmurf
12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I agree that from an engineering standpoint, burn in of electronics doesn't seem real. For mechanical systems or older vacuum tube electronics, I can see it being of benefit.

To answer your question, it would depend on what you're burning in. If you want to burn in some interconnects or a new CD player, then you can use the mute button. If you're burning in speakers or speaker cables, then no, you can't use the mute button.

mtrycraft
12-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I agree that from an engineering standpoint, burn in of electronics doesn't seem real. For mechanical systems or older vacuum tube electronics, I can see it being of benefit.

To answer your question, it would depend on what you're burning in. If you want to burn in some interconnects or a new CD player, then you can use the mute button. If you're burning in speakers or speaker cables, then no, you can't use the mute button.

Why would interconnects or speaker cables need anything that you consider a 'burn-in process?' More audio voodoo as the evidence just doesn't exist on this planet.

yakkosmurf
12-22-2003, 06:40 AM
I don't believe anything needs to be burned in. As an engineer, I don't see the point of breakin for electrical transmission hardware. I can see some speakers possibly benefiting from breakin since they are a mechanical system (like an IC engine).

The second part of my note was not to suggest that breakin was needed. I was instead trying to answer the original poster's question with regards to the Mute idea, but simply pointing out what would be affected and what wouldn't. In short, I was trying to not be a total prick by simply telling the guy he's crazy and stopping there. Rather, I wanted to tell him my thoughts on the whole breakin issue, but at the same time answer his question in order to provide him with the information needed for him to make his own decision.

You come across as sort of stuck up sometimes. Just an observation.

mtrycraft
12-25-2003, 11:08 PM
The second part of my note was not to suggest that breakin was needed. I was instead trying to answer the original poster's question with regards to the Mute idea, but simply pointing out what would be affected and what wouldn't. In short, I was trying to not be a total prick by simply telling the guy he's crazy and stopping there. Rather, I wanted to tell him my thoughts on the whole breakin issue, but at the same time answer his question in order to provide him with the information needed for him to make his own decision.

You come across as sort of stuck up sometimes. Just an observation.

Since there is nothing to the idea of 'breaking in' for wires, why even suggest anything would be affected. The person asking the question is in need of answers, real answers. Telling him that this 'burn-in' is a myth, is not being a 'prick' but nipping more voodoo in the bud.
Stuck up? Very curios indeed. I don't mix words, mis lead.