Interconnects? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interconnects?

meephis
12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
I currently have Monster Z2 reference speaker cable the whole way around my 5.1 and am ready to upgrade my interconnects---subwoofer cable, 2 opticals, 2 component video, and 6 channel out for an SACD (optical or 6 ch. out?) this is my first SACD player(denonDVD-2900) and I am looking to find the best possible connections for it and all together I can spend about $500-$800 any help on this would be greatly appreciated,as I'm not sure if I want to go Z series interconects too or something else.

thanx,
Meephis

eqm
12-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I currently have Monster Z2 reference speaker cable the whole way around my 5.1 and am ready to upgrade my interconnects---subwoofer cable, 2 opticals, 2 component video, and 6 channel out for an SACD (optical or 6 ch. out?) this is my first SACD player(denonDVD-2900) and I am looking to find the best possible connections for it and all together I can spend about $500-$800 any help on this would be greatly appreciated,as I'm not sure if I want to go Z series interconects too or something else.

Hi:

I also own the Denon DVD2900. to hear SACD or DVD-A you will have to hookup the dvd player out through the 5.1 outputs into the ext in on the receiver. I use both this configuration as well as a digital coaxial connection from my dvd player to the corresponding digital in on my receiver for movies. I currently use monster cables to hook this up, but this is much from my own personal preference. Please do yourself the favor and explore your options before you either spend $800.00 or $2.50 on cables. See if you can demo anything and have fun doing listening tests. Regardless of what advice you may or may not get, make sure you listen and listen well to draw your own conclusions on this subject.

hope this helps

Ryanm
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I pretty much agree with the above statement, but if you're looking for ideas or options here's a list of some to check out, some of these are rather expensive but for you it appears that money is no object so :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1089890284109&skuId=6781217&productCategoryId=cat08053&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077627848952&skuId=6418744&productCategoryId=cat08053&type=product

Those are the only 2 that spring to mind, I did some searching but those are the only ones specifically marketted as dvda/sacd

shokhead
12-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi:

I also own the Denon DVD2900. to hear SACD or DVD-A you will have to hookup the dvd player out through the 5.1 outputs into the ext in on the receiver. I use both this configuration as well as a digital coaxial connection from my dvd player to the corresponding digital in on my receiver for movies. I currently use monster cables to hook this up, but this is much from my own personal preference. Please do yourself the favor and explore your options before you either spend $800.00 or $2.50 on cables. See if you can demo anything and have fun doing listening tests. Regardless of what advice you may or may not get, make sure you listen and listen well to draw your own conclusions on this subject.

hope this helps

So when you load a movie it auto goes to dig and when you load a DVD-A/SACD it goes to 5.1 outputs?

WAF!
01-23-2005, 07:24 AM
I have Z2 speaker cables with a Z200i interconnect for the CDP. Just got the Z200i and plan on trying Kimber Hero interconnects next. The upper midrange is a bit more pronounced than I like with the monster Z2's and Z200i combo. I am hoping the Kimber will be a bit more neutral. Here is a good review http://www.audience-av.com/REVIEW_985.pdf.

umapet97
01-24-2005, 07:01 AM
I have the Denon 2910,went with the Audioquest Panther DBS line for the sacd,and the AQ optilink 5(this cable like widescreen for sound,incredible).The Panthers are incredibly quiet,love the clarity in the music.
But,as everyone else says,demo demo and find whats right for you.

Blue Meanie
02-05-2005, 10:40 PM

thanx,
Meephis
Save your money. High priced interconnects are a waste of money.

WAF!
02-06-2005, 05:22 AM
Blue Meanie,

Which interconnects did you find unsatisfactory? Please share any experience you may have with high priced interconnects. As I am not completely convinced myself if the improvements in sound justify the prices.

But if you're statement is just your opinion without any first hand experience then your negative comments are of no relevance to this thread.

shokhead
02-06-2005, 06:47 AM
I like Blue Meanie. This is a forum and he voiced his opinion. You take them for what they are worth. I for one dont belive its worth the money vs results. Maybe only on high end equipment but heck if you got the bucks and need to spend,go for it.

WAF!
02-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Shokhead,

I totally agree that everyone has a right to voice their opinion and I respect your opinion. A good example of a good reply back to the person who started this thread could be: I have an equipment setup similiar to yours and I have tried x brand interconnects and did not achieve any siginificant results. Or I did try X-brand like umapet97 has advised and achieved desirable results. A statement such as "high priced interconnects are a waste of money" with no experiences to share does the poster of the topic no good. He is looking for experiences with his situation to help him form an opinion for himself.

I am starting to believe like yourself that cables make more of a significant difference on higher end systems as opposed to mid level systems. I did notice in my experiences that speaker cables have had the biggest affect in my mid level system as opposed to the interconnect in addition to speaker cables. The difference was not extreme but still very noticable in my situation. I am still debating if the interconnect is worth it. I am now trying out a kimber hero in my setup for my CDP which I can return.

Here are some good excepts from the audioholics take on the whole cable fiasco. I am sure you have read this as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/truthcablesinterconnects.php

Speaker cables can (and sometimes do) sound different with a given amplifier and loudspeaker combination, even where they are well designed and of reasonable gauge. Excluded are very thin or extremely silly combinations - these will always do something to the sound, rarely good.

Interconnects might sound different, but only if they use odd construction techniques. Generally speaking, all properly (sensibly) designed and well made interconnects will sound the same - excluding noise pickup which is common with unshielded designs.

shokhead
02-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Yep on the speaker wires.

risabet
02-06-2005, 12:51 PM

thanx,
Meephis

Listen, listen listen. I personally like the AudioQuest IC's in my system. They make cables in all price ranges from affordable to 2nd mortgage money. All offer, IMO a substantial improvement over equivalently priced Monster, but that is a preference not a fact. Good luck.

musicoverall
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=WAF!]Shokhead,

I am starting to believe like yourself that cables make more of a significant difference on higher end systems as opposed to mid level systems. QUOTE]

Not quite. I own two systems, one a "high end" system comprised almost totally of pre-owned gear I bought for much less than retail (those high enders get tired of stuff so fast but they sure take good care of their stuff!) and a more "mid level" setup. Both systems respond differently in some cases to different IC's and speaker cable. On the mid level system, I did a sensibly priced upgrade from the generic IC's and speaker wire and realized a reasonable improvement in the sound. You don't have to spend a lot of money and the point is to spend appropriately to the cost of the system you have. FYI, my second system cost about $3000 retail (again, I bought used gear) and the wire cost me about $100. Well worth it, IC's included.

shokhead
02-06-2005, 02:27 PM
When i ay high end,i guess i'm talking about 20-25,000 and thats not with a screen.

Blue Meanie
02-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Blue Meanie,

Which interconnects did you find unsatisfactory? Please share any experience you may have with high priced interconnects. As I am not completely convinced myself if the improvements in sound justify the prices.

But if you're statement is just your opinion without any first hand experience then your negative comments are of no relevance to this thread.
Sorry. I should have clarified my position a little better. I never said that I found ANY interconnects unsatisfactory. I merely stated that expensive interconnects are a waste of money. I should have prefaced the previous statement with 'IMO'. My first hand experience is limited to listening to a friend's relatively high-end 2 channel system. He is always trying different brands of fancy interconnects, and I personally can never hear a difference, although he seems to think he can. As far as I know, there has never been a blind ABX test conducted in which different cables changed the sound enough to be reliably identified. While in search of audio-Nirvana, I think audiophiles CLAIM to hear a difference because they WANT to hear a difference. And if that makes them happy, more power to 'em. IMO, it's all snake oil, like shakti stones and green markers for CDs. I think a more meaningful difference can be made spending money on accoustical treatments for the listening space.

I hope you find these comments more relevant. : )

Jeff

musicoverall
02-07-2005, 04:51 AM
I think audiophiles CLAIM to hear a difference because they WANT to hear a difference. Jeff

I don't know a single person, myself included, that WANTS to spend money unnecessarily. Most audiophiles do NOT want to hear differences in aftermarket cables and would prefer to be able to use the stuff that comes with mass market gear. If you think cables are "snake oil", you'll at least save some money!

Check of the Audio Lab forum. There's a poster, Jneutron, who is engaged in scientific testing to show that cables CAN sound different from one another. Other posters there have stated that statistically valid ABX tests are extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to conduct in the home.

I absolutely agree that room acoustics are a bigger determinant of your systems sound - no argument there. But once that's done, cables can provide the final polish. They do for many people...people who all wish they didn't!

shokhead
02-07-2005, 07:01 AM
For me,lab test dont mean anything if i cant hear it. If the lab test says this cable does this but i cant hear it,its worthless.

musicoverall
02-07-2005, 08:10 AM
For me,lab test dont mean anything if i cant hear it. If the lab test says this cable does this but i cant hear it,its worthless.

I agree. I also agree, and it appears you do as well, that if the lab test says this cable does NOT do something that I do hear, it's also worthless.