Got too many remote controls with your rig? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got too many remote controls with your rig?

Swish
12-10-2004, 09:55 AM
I was getting pretty frustrated with all the gyrations I needed to perform when changing my music and/or video source on my main system. I recently upgraded my HT processor to the new Rotel RSP 1098, and it comes with a "learning" remote that would take over the chores for my TV, DVD Player, Satellite and Cable remotes. I set out with all the good intentions, but what an ugly mess! I admit I'm not a techno-geek, but I'm not a moron either, and the processes I had go thru to get everything working was just too laborious and daunting.

Well, I found the answer, and it's the Harmony H659 "all in one" remote. This thing is a pure joy and it was easy to set up. It connects to your PC or Mac with a USB cable, then you go to the Harmony website to input the info about about your components and how they should look when performing various tasks. It's also a "learning" remote, but does so in a one-step process that took only a few seconds for each of the remotes, where the Rotel required you to complete a certain process for every button on the remote you wanted it to learn!

Anyway, the end result is that I can press "watch TV" and this beauty turns on my TV, cable box and Rotel, making sure the video and audio sources are all correc, or I can press "watch DVD" and it will power up my DVD player, TV and the Rotel, and I'm ready to roll. My wife wouldn't come near my HT equipment, but this thing has made it easy for her to access so I don't have to come to the rescue every time she has a problem with it.

How much was it you ask? The retail price is about $200, but I paid only $107 + shipping from a company called SoftByWeb that I found on a Google search. Anyway, this is HIGHLY recommended if you have multiple remotes and a confusing configuration like I have. This one remote literally performs all the functions of the others and, while it took me a couple of hours to set up, it was actually very easy to do. Life is good.

Swish

BillB
12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Swish,

I've had the 659 for a year now and love it. I much prefer the hard buttons as opposed to a touch screen. The macro buttons like "Watch A Movie" "Listen To Music" make it very easy to use for family members. I like being able to program everything right on their site as opposed to on the remote as well.

Their support is really good, getting back to you with solutions within 48 hours.

My only gripe is battery life. I wish it were a bit longer. Batteries only last about 3 months in my house but I guess I shouldn't complain since it eliminated the need for my other 9 remotes 99% of the time.

Bill

Slosh
12-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I got the Marantz RC2000 Mk. II when it first came out around six years ago and it is still worth every cent. I don't know if Marantz still makes this model but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if ever needed. I set up macros for DVD, HD, sat., etc. With two sets of ni-cad batteries one set is always fully charged and ready to go so who cares about battery life? You can't download codes from the internet like some new remotes but once everything is programmed. . . . .

NP: Davey's Califone comp

Swish
12-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Swish,

I've had the 659 for a year now and love it. I much prefer the hard buttons as opposed to a touch screen. The macro buttons like "Watch A Movie" "Listen To Music" make it very easy to use for family members. I like being able to program everything right on their site as opposed to on the remote as well.

Their support is really good, getting back to you with solutions within 48 hours.

My only gripe is battery life. I wish it were a bit longer. Batteries only last about 3 months in my house but I guess I shouldn't complain since it eliminated the need for my other 9 remotes 99% of the time.

Bill

they were the biggest problem with my Rotel remote. I tried following all the instructions, but it was a horror show and I simply don't have the time. The Harmony online setup was a piece of cake if you ask me. One of my good friends who has a setup even more complicated than mine recommended this to me and he's been using his for a couple years or so. When he told me about it I was concerned that it wouldn't work with my Rotel processor since it's such a new model, but he checked the Harmony site for me and found that it was listed in their compenent section, so I placed my order ASAP. I've only had it for a week now, but it's been fantastic. Fumblinig with a number of different remotes in a royal pain, especially when something goes wrong and you can't quite figure out which one is at fault.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2004, 09:47 PM
I hate those screen ones. I've seen my friends struggle with those, and they can't do something as skip a chapter of a DVD (or go to a specific one). They'd rather just sit there and go through the credits every time.

Give me too many "buttons", any day.