Friday song anybody? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday song anybody?

nobody
12-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Just had to mention the <b>Suicide Commandos</b> cover of the Monkee's <b>She</b>. I was listening to it this morning and couldn't stop thinking what a great song...what a great band...

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2004, 09:34 AM
"You Can't Fart Around With Love" -- don't know who does it, but I'm going to cover this song some day. I was watching a Something Weird video, Godmonster of Indian Flats, and in the extras section, they had a video for this song. It's surprisingly catchy, and the video is superlatively bizarre. The instrumental sections actually remind me of an upbeat Bo Hansson.

White Guy Dancing == bad.

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's directed by the same director.

Davey
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I was listening this morning to some Trail of Dead from the The Secret Of Elanas Tomb EP so guess my Friday song is "All Saints Day", one of their many unintentional(?) tributes to Sonic Youth. Pretty cool the way they often straddle the line between noisy and pretty.

And being for the benefit of Mr. Kite...um, I mean Smokey, you can even hear it for yourself at http://niclas.samsonrourke.com/tod/02-trail_of_dead-all_saints_day-esc.mp3 :D

Oh yeah, also listened to the Calexico cover of Will Oldham's "I Send My Love To You" from the I AM A COLD ROCK. I AM DULL GRASS tribute CD and it's f</>uckantastic! I'm gonna make that my song of the day!

Slosh
12-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Mine is an oldie because of what week this is - Lennon's Mother

Damn, what a powerful song! Nothing but him and his piano and sparse drums and bass but it just sounds so massive. John could definitely sing with some impact, eh?

Mr MidFi
12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
This leadoff track from the Disintegration album also kicks off a weird, eclectic comp I made a couple of years ago (which I just put on a minute ago).

Somber goth meets lush prog and becomes a soaring sonic cathedral of despair. I'm not a big Cure fan, but I sure do like this one...a lot.

Dang, I love my new office stereo. Best $100 I ever spent.

Stone
12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Pantera - "This Love"

I had this one on last night in my car, and kept turning it louder. Great build up in this one. It had been too long since I've listened to that album - it's just unfortunate it took the death of a band member for me to pull it out.

NPIMH: Futureheads - "Hounds of Love" (I'm surprised at how much I like this song, considering how much I like the original (a lot). I think they've added enough of their own flavor to it to really make it into a great cover.)

Ex Lion Tamer
12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Mercy – Wire

This is the version off of the CD/DVD Wire on the BOX: 1979…a brand new release of a live date Wire played in 1979 for a German, (West German, I assume) TV show called Rockpalast. Needless to say for a fan of Wire like myself, this is absolute gold. Who would have thought that I’d have the chance to watch my favorite band at the peak of their creative powers in front of about 75 generally indifferent, often confused-looking Germans. Amazingly, the band didn’t let the crowds' indifference adversely affect their performance, to the contrary, it almost seems like it inspired them.

“Mercy” is the standout track for me so far. A 5-minute opus, (believe me, for Wire, 5-minutes is an opus), that ebbs and flows, brimming with as many moments of tension and release as your typical side long prog-rock marathon. Though the length of the song is atypical, the fact that there is not a wasted second, is sooo typically Wire. This one has been my personal soundtrack for today.

-Jar-
12-10-2004, 07:25 PM
This leadoff track from the Disintegration album also kicks off a weird, eclectic comp I made a couple of years ago (which I just put on a minute ago).

Somber goth meets lush prog and becomes a soaring sonic cathedral of despair. I'm not a big Cure fan, but I sure do like this one...a lot.

Dang, I love my new office stereo. Best $100 I ever spent.

great comp. Is that the one with Yes and Fleewood Mac's "Hypnotized" and R.E.M. on it too? I think it ends with Genesis.

yea, that's great one!

-jar