Marantz sr-6300 input problem/question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz sr-6300 input problem/question

indodude@hotmail.com
12-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi i've recently purchased an arcam alpha 5+ cd player and was using analogue connections + using source direct to hook it up through the reciever. I found that the sound was getting severly distorted in the highs almost as if the output of the cdplayer was "overloading" the reciever. I then went and got the NAD c540 and tried the same thing and it was doing it again so i determined it wasn't the cd players fault. I then by fluke tried it on the 6.1 dedicated inputs and voila! unbelievably crisp audio and no distortion AT ALL. Now my question is this, what is so different about the 6.1 inputs versus the standard "cd" rca inputs? is it bybassing "all" internal circuitry that it would normally pass through? (because i was intially using source direct to avoid the dac on my reciever doing anything, i wanted the dac on the cd player to do the work as they are generally of higher grade) Oh and would you keep the arcam alpha 5+ or the NAD c540? (warranty and price aside) Which is a better choice for ideal audio? i listen to alot of jazz and guitar + RAP.

thanks

Neil

Geoffcin
12-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi i've recently purchased an arcam alpha 5+ cd player and was using analogue connections + using source direct to hook it up through the reciever. I found that the sound was getting severly distorted in the highs almost as if the output of the cdplayer was "overloading" the reciever. I then went and got the NAD c540 and tried the same thing and it was doing it again so i determined it wasn't the cd players fault. I then by fluke tried it on the 6.1 dedicated inputs and voila! unbelievably crisp audio and no distortion AT ALL. Now my question is this, what is so different about the 6.1 inputs versus the standard "cd" rca inputs? is it bybassing "all" internal circuitry that it would normally pass through? (because i was intially using source direct to avoid the dac on my reciever doing anything, i wanted the dac on the cd player to do the work as they are generally of higher grade) Oh and would you keep the arcam alpha 5+ or the NAD c540? (warranty and price aside) Which is a better choice for ideal audio? i listen to alot of jazz and guitar + RAP.

thanks

Neil

By connecting via digital inputs you've bypassed the faulty input, but now you are using the receivers DAC's, and they are probably not as good as the dedicated CD player. Your receiver should have other analog inputs. You can try to hook the CD player via RCA jacks into the DAT, or TAPE input on your receiver. See if that is not distorted.

indodude@hotmail.com
12-13-2004, 09:32 AM
hey, i was using rca's originally when plugged into "cd" and i was using source direct. The distortion came about with both cd players i tried. Then i tried the 6.1 inputs that are analog and no distortion at all.... the only minus is that my subwoofer is not usable with the 6.1 setup as the two analog outs on my cd player are strictly left/right channel