Klipsch for music? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch for music?

Dr. Seuss
12-09-2004, 04:37 PM
As an aspiring audiophile, I have a lot to learn. Never the less, I'm upgrading my old system who's weakest link is undoubtedly the speakers. I do have a budget to consider, but was looking at the Klipsch - Synergy III 6-1/2" 2-Way Dual-Woofer Floorstanding Speaker F-2. Although I do enjoy the awesome surround effects of home theatre, I'd probably have to say that I am more of a music buff. I have a friend that's a trust fund baby who purchased the top of the line Klipschs for his home theatre system. How will the Klipsch speakers that I mentioned above be for someone who wants a great home theatre speaker but an EXCELLENT music speaker in this price range? What other speakers would be comparable? Thanks in advance.

markw
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
It all boils down to a personal preference. Many speakers that sound excellent for HT will lack on music. but, generally speakers that sound EXCELLENT for music will more than do justice to HT, particularly when a subwoofer is in the mix.

The best advice I can give is that when auditioning them, you use music that you are familiar with. When you find a speaker that sounds EXCELLENT for music, you can be pretty dang sure it will more than satisfy for HT. Listen to all speakers in your price range. You might be surprised.

Personally, I'm not overly taken by the way Klipsch handles music but remember, this is a personal preference, not a statement that they are not good for music. Many people DO like Klipsch for music but that's what makes the world go 'round.

topspeed
12-09-2004, 05:50 PM
As an aspiring audiophile, I have a lot to learn. Never the less, I'm upgrading my old system who's weakest link is undoubtedly the speakers. I do have a budget to consider, but was looking at the Klipsch - Synergy III 6-1/2" 2-Way Dual-Woofer Floorstanding Speaker F-2. Although I do enjoy the awesome surround effects of home theatre, I'd probably have to say that I am more of a music buff. I have a friend that's a trust fund baby who purchased the top of the line Klipschs for his home theatre system. How will the Klipsch speakers that I mentioned above be for someone who wants a great home theatre speaker but an EXCELLENT music speaker in this price range? What other speakers would be comparable? Thanks in advance.It may not be the answer you want to hear but he's absolutely right. Of all the components in your system, the speakers will be the most subjective. Listen to everything you can find and form your own opinion. Besides the different manufacturers, also listen to different types of speakers. You've got dynamic speakers (Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W, Polk, etc.), planars (Magnapan), electrostats (Martin Logan, Quad), transmission line (Von Schweikert), and time & phase aligned (Theil, Vandersteen), not to mention hybrids of everthing listed! Trust me, planars and 'stats sound a lot different than dynamics. Trust your ears to tell you which is the best for your rig.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

markw
12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
As long as we're at it, I'll put in a plug for the Athena audition series. Even though they are available at Best Buy, they are an excellent speaker for it's price by ANY standards. Particularly since they are on sale now.

Dr. Seuss
12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys for the quick and thorough response. You've both done a really good job at answering my questions. I realize that everyone is going to have a different idea of what sounds good to them. That having been said, I still was wondering if there are certain generes of music that tend to be better suited towards certain speaker types. My favorite music is live acoustic recordings (especially rhythmic blues. Favorite artists are Ben Harper, Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, as well as some jazz artists i.e. Ray Charles, Nora Jones, etc.) Is there a particular "type" of speaker that is generally consider to be better for this sound? This is the first I've heard of all the differnt types that were listed in the replies. How would you describe the difference in the sound (I realize this is very generalized; but as best you can) between the dynamic, planar, transmition line, etc. speakers? And lastly, what is a speaker in the same price range that would be at the opposite end of the spectrum than the Klipsch; ? Thanks again and I do appreciate your patience with us novices.
p.s. What is the best place to learn more about the different types of speakers and what I should look for and expect from each? I know there is How Stuff Works, but are there any other web sites that you would recommend for a beginner?

fastmiele
12-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Dr. Suess, you are in a similar boat as me. I want a home theatre system, but primarily l want to listen to music CD's and concert DVD's.

This is the best advice I can give you based on my own personal experiences. Set your budget for the speakers and then go around to speciality stores and ask to play a couple of your favourite music songs on different speakers that are within your budget. I did this and I quickly eliminated a number of speakers/brands that did not suit my listening style. You can do all the research and reading you want but the final decision should come down to which speakers sound the best to your ears. Good luck.

RGA
12-09-2004, 08:38 PM
A great speaker should do everything exceptionally well. Granted though few are great speakers so you have to search out the ones that are going to fit the bill you can afford.Klipsh typically make good rockers. Klipsch is a bit hit and miss - some good some not so good. Some of the best music speaker makers i know of don't have much interest or even make surround packages. I prefer the Klipsh Reference series - you could try the B&W 600 line and speakers from Kef, Energy, PSB and Paradigm and see which ones you like the best.

s dog
12-09-2004, 10:10 PM
As an aspiring audiophile, I have a lot to learn. Never the less, I'm upgrading my old system who's weakest link is undoubtedly the speakers. I do have a budget to consider, but was looking at the Klipsch - Synergy III 6-1/2" 2-Way Dual-Woofer Floorstanding Speaker F-2. Although I do enjoy the awesome surround effects of home theatre, I'd probably have to say that I am more of a music buff. I have a friend that's a trust fund baby who purchased the top of the line Klipschs for his home theatre system. How will the Klipsch speakers that I mentioned above be for someone who wants a great home theatre speaker but an EXCELLENT music speaker in this price range? What other speakers would be comparable? Thanks in advance. I have a pair of klipsch sb-3s 8'' 2 ways, they are great for HT but for music they seem to be a bit forward i would guess the horns cause that

topspeed
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
I still was wondering if there are certain generes of music that tend to be better suited towards certain speaker types. My favorite music is live acoustic recordings (especially rhythmic blues. Favorite artists are Ben Harper, Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, as well as some jazz artists i.e. Ray Charles, Nora Jones, etc.) Is there a particular "type" of speaker that is generally consider to be better for this sound? Nope. Only you can determine which type of speaker does it best. They are your ears and it will be in your room therefore it's your opinion that matters.
How would you describe the difference in the sound (I realize this is very generalized; but as best you can) between the dynamic, planar, transmition line, etc. speakers? Understand, it's not just the type of speaker, it's how the designer has voiced it. Planars and 'stats are reknowned for their remarkable speed and transient ability as well as uniform sound. Many owners of such speaker think no "box" (aka dynamic) speaker can keep up. Maybe, maybe not. Von Schweikert's speakers have been described as exceedingly fast or "'stat like" in their presentation and as an owner, I agree. However, I doubt I'll get many panel owners to agree with me and I honestly don't care to try. I don't want to plant any preconceived notions in your subconscious that may color your auditions by describing a speaker's sound. In a way, you're really lucky to be starting this so fresh because you haven't been filled with a lot of the crap that circulates in the audio world. Let your own ears decide.
And lastly, what is a speaker in the same price range that would be at the opposite end of the spectrum than the Klipsch; ? Thanks again and I do appreciate your patience with us novices. I'm unsure what your price range is but the first speaker that comes to mind as far as being opposite of Klipsch would be Vandersteen and Sonus Faber. Give 'em a listen and you'll quickly hear the very definition of "laid back."
p.s. What is the best place to learn more about the different types of speakers and what I should look for and expect from each? I know there is How Stuff Works, but are there any other web sites that you would recommend for a beginner?You're there now. I've learned far more about audio at this and other sites such as audioasylum, avsforum, and audiogon, than I could ever learn in most mags. Don't get me wrong, Stereophile, TAS, and others have some very good information. TAS's Oct/Nov issue had tons of great stuff regarding room acoustics that should be required reading for every person that's remotely interested in obtaining the best sound possible from their rig. It's just easier to get the answers on a bb like AR.

Hope this helps.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-10-2004, 03:28 PM
While the synergy line may not be all that great for music, the RF line is. I had the oportunity to audition the RF-5 and was QUITE impressed at how much better sounding for music and soundtracks it is over the synergy line. With the synergy line, there was no attempt to match the output of the horn and dynamic drivers, so at higher volumes the horns tended to lead the woofers. In the reference line the horn and the woofers have the same output at X distance from the speaker, so they have quite a different sonic character than their cousins. Lastly, no horn hybrid can just be slapped into place and play. Acoustical treatment is a must for any horn loaded speaker.

Dr. Seuss
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Is comparison to the old synergy line, or the new synergy III line? I've heard that Klipsch made some upgrades to the synergy line that made them more comparable to the RF line; I don't know exactly what they changed though.

Dr. Seuss
12-10-2004, 04:10 PM
I realize that many aspects of comparing speakers are subjective, however some things, like the loudness of of the Klipschs, is pretty much agreed upon. Is there also a consensus of opinion on whether the Klipsch (Synergy III F-2) or the B&W (603S) have better seperation? Ultimately what I'm looking for is a pair of box speakers in the $600 - $1200 price range that are clean but not too too bright and have excellent clarity and seperation. Any recomendations? Thanks.

Dr. Seuss
12-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I've started a new thread for this topic. See Clarity/Seperation in a Box?